From: Bill Sloman on
On Aug 8, 8:30 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On 07 Aug 2010 21:35:07 GMT, John Doe <j...(a)usenetlove.invalid> wrote:
>

> >John Larkin <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> >> The difference is that the US government subsidizes solar and
> >> punishes nuclear. Nukes work fine in Japan and France. They
> >> especially work fine at night.
>
> >The French have more courage than we do. Ack!
>
> How humiliating.
>

> >And then there is the amount of surface area required to produce
> >the same amount of power, it is unrealistic. The idea of windmills
> >and solar panels as a primary source of power is sold to naïve
> >people.
>
> Unfortunately, solar isn't very concentrated. A square meter of
> full-blast sunlight delivers a couple of hundred watts peak and
> averages maybe 50. The walls of a natural gas boiler, or nuclear fuel
> rods, run megawatts per square meter, 24/7.

True but largely irrelevant. The US has lots of desert, and - with the
advance of global warming - will probably soon have even more. This
land is useless for anything except solar power generation and super-
conducting cable means that the power generated there can be used
pretty much anywhere.

Photovoltaic cells are useless at night, but thermal solar can heat up
loads of molten salt during the day and use it to keep generating
power overnight.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

From: Bill Sloman on
On Aug 8, 8:30 am, John Larkin

From: Mark on
On Aug 8, 9:21 pm, Bill Sloman <bill.slo...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 8:30 am, John Larkin
>

> <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> > >The French have more courage than we do. Ack!
>
> > How humiliating.
>
> > >And then there is the amount of surface area required to produce
> > >the same amount of power, it is unrealistic. The idea of windmills
> > >and solar panels as a primary source of power is sold to naïve
> > >people.
>
> > Unfortunately, solar isn't very concentrated. A square meter of
> > full-blast sunlight delivers a couple of hundred watts peak and
> > averages maybe 50. The walls of a natural gas boiler, or nuclear fuel
> > rods, run megawatts per square meter, 24/7.
>
> True but largely irrelevant. The US has lots of desert, and - with the
> advance of global warming - will probably soon have even more. This
> land is useless for anything except solar power generation and super-
> conducting cable means that the power generated there can be used
> pretty much anywhere.
>
> Photovoltaic cells are useless at night, but thermal solar can heat up
> loads of molten salt during the day and use it to keep generating
> power overnight.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

It's easy to tell when solar becomes economical...

when the factory that makes solar panels has them on the roof and uses
them to power itself..

Mark
From: Dirk Bruere at NeoPax on
On 09/08/2010 02:33, Mark wrote:
> On Aug 8, 9:21 pm, Bill Sloman<bill.slo...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>> On Aug 8, 8:30 am, John Larkin
>>

>> <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>>> How humiliating.

>>> Unfortunately, solar isn't very concentrated. A square meter of
>>> full-blast sunlight delivers a couple of hundred watts peak and
>>> averages maybe 50. The walls of a natural gas boiler, or nuclear fuel
>>> rods, run megawatts per square meter, 24/7.
>>
>> True but largely irrelevant. The US has lots of desert, and - with the
>> advance of global warming - will probably soon have even more. This
>> land is useless for anything except solar power generation and super-
>> conducting cable means that the power generated there can be used
>> pretty much anywhere.
>>
>> Photovoltaic cells are useless at night, but thermal solar can heat up
>> loads of molten salt during the day and use it to keep generating
>> power overnight.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
>
> It's easy to tell when solar becomes economical...
>
> when the factory that makes solar panels has them on the roof and uses
> them to power itself..
>
> Mark

And the factory making nuclear power plant elements has its own nuclear
reactor for just that purpose.

--
Dirk

From: tm on

"Mark" <makolber(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Aug 8, 9:21 pm, Bill Sloman <bill.slo...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On Aug 8, 8:30 am, John Larkin
>

> <jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> > >The French have more courage than we do. Ack!
>
> > How humiliating.
>
> > >And then there is the amount of surface area required to produce
> > >the same amount of power, it is unrealistic. The idea of windmills
> > >and solar panels as a primary source of power is sold to na�ve
> > >people.
>
> > Unfortunately, solar isn't very concentrated. A square meter of
> > full-blast sunlight delivers a couple of hundred watts peak and
> > averages maybe 50. The walls of a natural gas boiler, or nuclear fuel
> > rods, run megawatts per square meter, 24/7.
>
> True but largely irrelevant. The US has lots of desert, and - with the
> advance of global warming - will probably soon have even more. This
> land is useless for anything except solar power generation and super-
> conducting cable means that the power generated there can be used
> pretty much anywhere.
>
> Photovoltaic cells are useless at night, but thermal solar can heat up
> loads of molten salt during the day and use it to keep generating
> power overnight.
>
> --
> Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

..It's easy to tell when solar becomes economical...
..
..when the factory that makes solar panels has them on the roof and uses
..them to power itself..
..
..Mark

And stays in business.