From: Carl Shewmaker on
I set up a template with "First Page" as the style of page one, with margins I want, and no footer, and follow it with a default style page, again setting the margins I like, but including a footer with a page number inserted therein (I like them centered.) I then either enter text or cut and paste from various programs. The second page of my template appears as 2, but I think I could change that.  So far have never wanted to.
Regards,
Carl
From: Adam on
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Rob Clement <rob(a)robbev.com> wrote:

> On 22/07/2010 12:07, Adam wrote:
>
>> For some reason not working for me Tony. These are the steps I'm taking:
>>
>> 1. Move cursor to end of coversheet
>> 2. Insert> Manual Break> Page Break> OK
>> 3. Format> Paragraph
>> 4. Select the "Text Flow" tab.
>> 5. Check Insert
>> 6. Check With Page Style
>> 7. Set Page_number to 1
>> 8. Click OK
>> 9. No page numbers :(
>>

>> Adam
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Tony Pursell
>> <ajp(a)princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk>wrote:

>>> Solution depends on whether you want the cover page counted, but not
>>> numbered (i.e page after the cover page is page 2), or you want
>>> numbering to start as page 1 on the page after the cover page.
>>>
>>> If it is the latter you need put a page break as the very first thing on
>>> the page after the cover page. You probably have this already. The with
>>> the cursor on that position, do Format> Paragraph and select the "Text
>>> Flow" tab. On that tab, under "Breaks", make sure "Insert" and "With
>>> Page Style" are checked and then set "Page Number" to 1.
>>>
>>> This is the way to explicitly set a starting page number at a particular
>>> page.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps
>>>
>>> Tony
>>>

>> Adam
>
> we normally bottom post here.
>
> To insert page numbers in a document.
>
> Step 1 > Insert >footer >Default
> Step 2 in the footer type Page and a space
> step 3 >Insert >Fields >Page Number
>
> I think that is more or less what you want. I then centre the footer so the
> literal page and the page number appear in the middle of the page.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

Thanks Rob. I tried your suggestion and it puts the page number on the cover
sheet which I don't want :(

Also, sorry for top posting.....

Adam
From: Adam on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Adam <adam395(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Rob Clement <rob(a)robbev.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22/07/2010 12:07, Adam wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason not working for me Tony. These are the steps I'm taking:
>>>
>>> 1. Move cursor to end of coversheet
>>> 2. Insert> Manual Break> Page Break> OK
>>> 3. Format> Paragraph
>>> 4. Select the "Text Flow" tab.
>>> 5. Check Insert
>>> 6. Check With Page Style
>>> 7. Set Page_number to 1
>>> 8. Click OK
>>> 9. No page numbers :(
>>>

>>> Adam
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Tony Pursell
>>> <ajp(a)princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk>wrote:

>>> Adam
>>
>> we normally bottom post here.
>>
>> To insert page numbers in a document.
>>
>> Step 1 > Insert >footer >Default
>> Step 2 in the footer type Page and a space
>> step 3 >Insert >Fields >Page Number
>>
>> I think that is more or less what you want. I then centre the footer so
>> the literal page and the page number appear in the middle of the page.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Thanks Rob. I tried your suggestion and it puts the page number on the
> cover sheet which I don't want :(
>
> Also, sorry for top posting.....
>
> Adam

Got it! I used Chris' idea and formatted the first page as "First Page" and
then used Tony's and Rob's suggestions.
Will have to play with this so that I can repeat it next time. Would be
great if the help system documented this, what would I'm sure be a common
requirement.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.

Adam
From: RA Brown on
Adam wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Rob Clement <rob(a)robbev.com> wrote:
>>> Adam
>> we normally bottom post here.
>>
>> To insert page numbers in a document.
>>
>> Step 1 > Insert >footer >Default
>> Step 2 in the footer type Page and a space
>> step 3 >Insert >Fields >Page Number
>>
>> I think that is more or less what you want. I then centre the footer so the
>> literal page and the page number appear in the middle of the page.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Thanks Rob. I tried your suggestion and it puts the page number on the cover
> sheet which I don't want :(
>
> Also, sorry for top posting.....
>
> Adam

Adam,

You will need two page styles. On the first/cover page do not add the
footer. On the second/body have the footer. It is best to not use the
Default page style as these is what OO.o uses when you start a new
document. If you want I will send you a sample file that I have setup
that you can use to build your own template.

Andy

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Adam on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 8:11 AM, RA Brown <rabrown(a)the-martin-byrd.net>wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Rob Clement <rob(a)robbev.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Adam
>>>>
>>> we normally bottom post here.
>>>
>>> To insert page numbers in a document.
>>>
>>> Step 1 > Insert >footer >Default
>>> Step 2 in the footer type Page and a space
>>> step 3 >Insert >Fields >Page Number
>>>
>>> I think that is more or less what you want. I then centre the footer so
>>> the
>>> literal page and the page number appear in the middle of the page.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>>> Thanks Rob. I tried your suggestion and it puts the page number on the
>> cover
>> sheet which I don't want :(
>>
>> Also, sorry for top posting.....
>>
>> Adam
>>

> Adam,
>
> You will need two page styles. On the first/cover page do not add the
> footer. On the second/body have the footer. It is best to not use the
> Default page style as these is what OO.o uses when you start a new
> document. If you want I will send you a sample file that I have setup
> that you can use to build your own template.
>
> Andy
>

> That would be very much appreciated Andy.

Rgds
Adam