From: Tony Pursell on
On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 07:54 +1000, Adam wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Adam <adam395(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> we normally bottom post here.
> >>
> >> To insert page numbers in a document.
> >>
> >> Step 1 > Insert >footer >Default
> >> Step 2 in the footer type Page and a space
> >> step 3 >Insert >Fields >Page Number
> >>
> >> I think that is more or less what you want. I then centre the footer so
> >> the literal page and the page number appear in the middle of the page.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>

> > Thanks Rob. I tried your suggestion and it puts the page number on the
> > cover sheet which I don't want :(
> >
> > Also, sorry for top posting.....
> >
> > Adam
> >

> Got it! I used Chris' idea and formatted the first page as "First Page" and
> then used Tony's and Rob's suggestions.
> Will have to play with this so that I can repeat it next time. Would be
> great if the help system documented this, what would I'm sure be a common
> requirement.
>
> Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
>
> Adam

Great to hear that you have got this sorted. There is stuff about it in
the help, but it is a bit hard to find if you don't quite know what you
are looking for. And it is complicated by having two different
techniques to do all you want, ie

- Using Styles to differentiate the cover page from other pages.
- Changing the attributes of the first paragraph after a page break to
restart numbering.

If you want to find the help for this last item, first search for 'Page
numbers' then choose 'inserting/defining/formatting'. On that help page
is 'To Start With a Defined Page Number'.

Tony

From: Adam on
On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Tony Pursell
<ajp(a)princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk>wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 07:54 +1000, Adam wrote:

> taking:

> want
> after

> thing on
> with
> "Text
> "With

> particular

> so

> > > Thanks Rob. I tried your suggestion and it puts the page number on the
> > > cover sheet which I don't want :(
> > >
> > > Also, sorry for top posting.....
> > >
> > > Adam
> > >

> > Got it! I used Chris' idea and formatted the first page as "First Page"
> and
> > then used Tony's and Rob's suggestions.
> > Will have to play with this so that I can repeat it next time. Would be
> > great if the help system documented this, what would I'm sure be a common
> > requirement.
> >
> > Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
> >
> > Adam
>
> Great to hear that you have got this sorted. There is stuff about it in
> the help, but it is a bit hard to find if you don't quite know what you
> are looking for. And it is complicated by having two different
> techniques to do all you want, ie
>
> - Using Styles to differentiate the cover page from other pages.
> - Changing the attributes of the first paragraph after a page break to
> restart numbering.
>
> If you want to find the help for this last item, first search for 'Page
> numbers' then choose 'inserting/defining/formatting'. On that help page
> is 'To Start With a Defined Page Number'.
>
> Tony

Thanks Tony. Yes it was difficult and as I said right up front, I did read
through the help but still struggled with it. Perhaps the help could do with
some refining as I'm sure that I will not be the last person having this
basic requirement.

Regards

Adam
From: Dave Barton on
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Tony Pursell
> <ajp(a)princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk>wrote:

>> taking:

>> want

>> after

>> thing on

>> with

>> "Text

>> "With

>> particular

>> so

>>> Got it! I used Chris' idea and formatted the first page as "First Page"
>>>
>> and
>>
>>> then used Tony's and Rob's suggestions.
>>> Will have to play with this so that I can repeat it next time. Would be
>>> great if the help system documented this, what would I'm sure be a common
>>> requirement.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the help, much appreciated.
>>>
>>> Adam
>>>
>> Great to hear that you have got this sorted. There is stuff about it in
>> the help, but it is a bit hard to find if you don't quite know what you
>> are looking for. And it is complicated by having two different
>> techniques to do all you want, ie
>>
>> - Using Styles to differentiate the cover page from other pages.
>> - Changing the attributes of the first paragraph after a page break to
>> restart numbering.
>>
>> If you want to find the help for this last item, first search for 'Page
>> numbers' then choose 'inserting/defining/formatting'. On that help page
>> is 'To Start With a Defined Page Number'.
>>
>> Tony
>>

> Thanks Tony. Yes it was difficult and as I said right up front, I did read
> through the help but still struggled with it. Perhaps the help could do with
> some refining as I'm sure that I will not be the last person having this
> basic requirement.
>
> Regards
>
> Adam

There is a limit to how much information can be packed into the internal
help function. More detailed information is provided by the "Getting
Started" and "User" guides, available for download and on-line viewing
from the "Documentation Project": http://documentation.openoffice.org/

I would also like to take this opportunity to mention that the "Authors
Project", who produce the guides, are one of the most active and hard
working areas of the OOo project and congratulate Jean Hollis Weber
(Authors Project Lead and Documentation Project Co-Lead) on her tireless
efforts to improve and expand the OOo documentation.

Dave

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org