From: gA on
We were given a Sony DSC T-300 as a gift 2 or 3 years ago. We
seldom used it, but the photos were OK. Last month we took it on
our holiday and could not use any pictures: They were totally purple.

Sony does not recognize the problem and recommended taking it to a
repair shop. Any idea what is causing this and is it worth fixing
it? Thank you,
- gA
From: Rich on
On Jul 22, 10:32 pm, gA <rea...(a)ualberta.net> wrote:
> We were given a Sony DSC T-300 as a gift 2 or 3 years ago. We
> seldom used it, but the photos were OK. Last month we took it on
> our holiday and could not use any pictures: They were totally purple.
>
> Sony does not recognize the problem and recommended taking it to a
> repair shop. Any idea what is causing this and is it worth fixing
> it? Thank you,
> - gA

Missing IR filter over the sensor? Here's a picture from a Sigma
with the filter removed.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/89747617
From: Nervous Nick on
On Jul 22, 9:49 pm, Rich <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 22, 10:32 pm, gA <rea...(a)ualberta.net> wrote:
>
> > We were given a Sony DSC T-300 as a gift 2 or 3 years ago. We
> > seldom used it, but the photos were OK. Last month we took it on
> > our holiday and could not use any pictures: They were totally purple.

Tell your relatives to stop interbreeding with the Barney clan.

From: bugbear on
Rich wrote:
> On Jul 22, 10:32 pm, gA <rea...(a)ualberta.net> wrote:
>> We were given a Sony DSC T-300 as a gift 2 or 3 years ago. We
>> seldom used it, but the photos were OK. Last month we took it on
>> our holiday and could not use any pictures: They were totally purple.
>>
>> Sony does not recognize the problem and recommended taking it to a
>> repair shop. Any idea what is causing this and is it worth fixing
>> it? Thank you,
>> - gA
>
> Missing IR filter over the sensor?

Given "the photos were OK" and "Last month ... totally purple"
are you suggesting the OP somehow removed the filter by accident?

BugBear
From: Chrlz on
On Jul 23, 12:32 pm, gA <rea...(a)ualberta.net> wrote:
> We were given a Sony DSC T-300 as a gift 2 or 3 years ago. We
> seldom used it, but the photos were OK. Last month we took it on
> our holiday and could not use any pictures: They were totally purple.
>
> Sony does not recognize the problem and recommended taking it to a
> repair shop. Any idea what is causing this and is it worth fixing
> it? Thank you,
> - gA

Sony didn't recognise it??? Sounds a lot like this very well known
problem:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/badccds.html

I understood Sony were in fact replacing/repairing ANY camera affected
at one time, but that offer may have expired. However, it can't hurt
to take it higher and badger them a bit, if your camera was one of
those fitted with the bad ccds.