From: RichA on
Amateur Photographer:

The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
warn.

The UK photo industry has surpassed £615m in sales so far this year,
figures compiled by market analysts at GfK Retail and Technology show.

'With over half the year complete, the Photo/Imaging market remains in
a relatively positive growth position…' said a GfK spokesman.

'Looking at the changeable lens category, this has been helped by the
growth of the compact system camera market, fuelled recently by
several new brands entering this market, in addition to new models
from existing brands.

'Consequently, the total changeable lens market posted growth of 14.9%
in value.'

Digital camera sales (£385m) account for nearly two thirds of overall
sales.

However, the news comes as analysts at Futuresource warn that the
'higher average retail price' of an interchangeable lens compact,
compared to an 'entry-level DSLR', will limit growth of this sector in
Europe.

'Another big influence on growth will be whether Canon and Nikon – who
currently dominate the wider interchangeable lens camera market –
decide to launch an interchangeable lens compact product,' said
Futuresource consultant James Wells.

'In the short term, while we are expecting significant growth… it will
still only reach shipments of 377,000 units across Western Europe in
2010, compared to 3.3m units for DSLRs.'

Canon/Nikon 'stranglehold'

Wells added: 'Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung (with a 20%
combined share of interchangeable lens camera shipments in 2009) are
expected to promote this segment heavily in 2010, particularly at the
Photokina show in September, in the run-up to the important fourth
quarter period.

'The long-term aim [for them] is to try to break Canon and Nikon's
stranglehold on the interchangeable lens camera market. Suffice to
say, this will be an interesting space to watch over the next two or
three years.'

GfK adds that the growth of the changeable lens market has had a
positive 'knock-on effect' on the sales of accessories, as consumers
shun cheaper products in favour of higher value items to go with their
cameras.

Though sales volume fell, the value of accessories sold rose.

'Bags/tripods grew 0.6% in value for the year to date compared to this
time last year, whilst lenses and memory cards increased their market
value by 5.8% and 0.3% respectively.

Accessories were worth £179m alone in July.
From: Neil Harrington on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
Amateur Photographer:

The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
warn.
<<<

Prices will come down as volume goes up, though. This will lead to still
greater volume and even lower prices -- in time. "Nothing succeeds like
success," as the saying goes.

I am really interested to see what the Nikon ILC will be like. My guess is
it will introduce a new lens mount, for physically smaller native lenses,
but will also have available an adapter for current Nikon G lenses. They
might diddle with the firmware so that third-party lenses won't work with
the adapter. But if they do that, third-party makers might just produce
their own adapters as well, unless Nikon has some way of preventing this.

From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Amateur Photographer:
>

>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
>warn.

The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
reflect the rest of the world is beyond me. Just more of their lousy bloody
british pomposity.

From: Bruce on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
<otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Amateur Photographer:
>>
>>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
>>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
>>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
>>warn.
>
>The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
>reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.

The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
UK market. None.

The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
no comparable retail data available from US sources. The Japanese
photo industry stopped publishing retail data a couple of years ago.
No other countries except the UK publish their data. So the whining
Canadian seized on the only market data that is still being published.

>Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.

Your American arrogance is showing.

From: Bruce on
wrote:

>Canon/Nikon 'stranglehold'
>
>Wells added: 'Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung (with a 20%
>combined share of interchangeable lens camera shipments in 2009) are
>expected to promote this segment heavily in 2010, particularly at the
>Photokina show in September, in the run-up to the important fourth
>quarter period.

That 20% is made up of Panasonic MFT cameras, Olympus E-Series DSLRs
and Olympus MFT cameras, Sony Alpha DSLRs, Pentax DSLRs and the
Samsung NX-10.

Sony's target for its Alpha DSLRs was a 20% market share by 2010. They
fell a very long way short of their target.

What must be especially worrying for Sony UK is that they did a
complex deal with Jessops, the UK's dominant photo store chain, in
which Sony Alpha is given equal prominence in Jessops stores to Nikon
and Canon. Each of the three brands now has equal display space
across Jesssops' 233 stores. Pentax users are upset because Sony has
completely displaced Pentax P&S and DSLR cameras from Jessops.

Yet the sales figures for Sony Alpha DSLRs are *tiny*. They are still
outsold by Pentax, even though the UK's dominant photo chain doesn't
sell Pentax any more. And these figures come from 2009, which means
that the effect of Sony's NEX range has yet to come.

Sony has been spectacularly unsuccessful at persuading users of Sony
P&S compact cameras to trade up to Alpha DSLRs. The early signs are
that the NEX range is doing very well, with many NEX buyers trading up
from Sony P&S. But the Alpha range is suffering, with Alpha DSLR
sales having dropped significantly since NEX was introduced.

In the short term, Sony will probably continue with Alpha. They will
hope that the two slightly warmed-over "new" entry level models (A290
and A390) can attract new buyers. But the Alpha range of DSLRs has
been a huge loss-maker for Sony from the start. Four years later, the
range has a worse market share than it had under its former owner
Konica Minolta, and there is no sign of those losses reducing. A
successful launch for NEX can only make things worse.

The Alpha range has to be killed off. The only question is when.