From: Alan Lichtenstein on
Bruce wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
> <otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Amateur Photographer:
>>>
>>>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
>>>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
>>>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
>>>warn.
>>
>>The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
>>reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.
>

> The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
> claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
> UK market. None.
>
> The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
> no comparable retail data available from US sources. The Japanese
> photo industry stopped publishing retail data a couple of years ago.
> No other countries except the UK publish their data. So the whining
> Canadian seized on the only market data that is still being published.
>

>>Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.

Personalities aside, sometime ago, I had some off-the-record
discussions with people from Olympus. They seem to share those
predictive opinions, and in fact, they validated the conjectures in the
UK article posted above about overall trends and their position on
compact EVF Interchangeable lens cameras. However, I restate that these
comments are strictly 'unofficial.'
From: RichA on
On Jul 23, 5:40 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
>
> <o...(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
> >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >>Amateur Photographer:
>
> >>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
> >>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
> >>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
> >>warn.
>
> >The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
> >reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.
>
> The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK.  No
> claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
> UK market.  None.
>
> The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
> no comparable retail data available from US sources.

You honestly think Britain is so under representative of other
markets, that it stands alone?

From: whisky-dave on

"RichA" <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 23, 5:40 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
>
> <o...(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
> >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >>Amateur Photographer:
>
> >>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
> >>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
> >>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
> >>warn.
>
> >The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
> >reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.
>
> The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
> claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
> UK market. None.
>
> The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
> no comparable retail data available from US sources.

}You honestly think Britain is so under representative of other
}markets, that it stands alone?

Well we do have a lot of water around us ;-)

From: Neil Harrington on

"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>Canon/Nikon 'stranglehold'
>>
>>Wells added: 'Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung (with a 20%
>>combined share of interchangeable lens camera shipments in 2009) are
>>expected to promote this segment heavily in 2010, particularly at the
>>Photokina show in September, in the run-up to the important fourth
>>quarter period.
>

> That 20% is made up of Panasonic MFT cameras, Olympus E-Series DSLRs
> and Olympus MFT cameras, Sony Alpha DSLRs, Pentax DSLRs and the
> Samsung NX-10.
>
> Sony's target for its Alpha DSLRs was a 20% market share by 2010. They
> fell a very long way short of their target.
>
> What must be especially worrying for Sony UK is that they did a
> complex deal with Jessops, the UK's dominant photo store chain, in
> which Sony Alpha is given equal prominence in Jessops stores to Nikon
> and Canon. Each of the three brands now has equal display space
> across Jesssops' 233 stores. Pentax users are upset because Sony has
> completely displaced Pentax P&S and DSLR cameras from Jessops.
>
> Yet the sales figures for Sony Alpha DSLRs are *tiny*. They are still
> outsold by Pentax, even though the UK's dominant photo chain doesn't
> sell Pentax any more. And these figures come from 2009, which means
> that the effect of Sony's NEX range has yet to come.
>
> Sony has been spectacularly unsuccessful at persuading users of Sony
> P&S compact cameras to trade up to Alpha DSLRs. The early signs are
> that the NEX range is doing very well, with many NEX buyers trading up
> from Sony P&S. But the Alpha range is suffering, with Alpha DSLR
> sales having dropped significantly since NEX was introduced.
>
> In the short term, Sony will probably continue with Alpha. They will
> hope that the two slightly warmed-over "new" entry level models (A290
> and A390) can attract new buyers. But the Alpha range of DSLRs has
> been a huge loss-maker for Sony from the start. Four years later, the
> range has a worse market share than it had under its former owner
> Konica Minolta, and there is no sign of those losses reducing. A
> successful launch for NEX can only make things worse.
>
> The Alpha range has to be killed off. The only question is when.

That's very interesting, and unfortunate.

Sony seems to be in deep doo-doo all around, not just their DSLR sales.
They've apparently been losing money in practically every major division,
operating loss of $889M this year (slightly improved from -$900M last year),
less than 9% of their shares are now held by institutions, and most analyst
opinions are "sell" or "hold." SNE is now around 28, down from over 40 at
the recent peak in March.

From: Bruce on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:14:18 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Jul 23, 5:40�am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. �No
>> claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
>> UK market. �None.
>>
>> The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
>> no comparable retail data available from US sources.
>
>You honestly think Britain is so under representative of other
>markets, that it stands alone?

I do know from historic data that purchasing trends in the UK differed
greatly from the USA, Japan and countries in mainland Europe in the
past. But that data is no longer publicly available.

In the absence of any published data, it is now impossible to compare,
so your question cannot be answered.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony purple pictures
Next: New mirrorless camera forum opened