From: lofi on
There is vast reservoir of consumers out there who have no concept of camera
history and no reason to have any inherent loyalty to an established name
brand.
In truth, to the dismay of purists and those who cannot see the bigger
picture, there is no effective or perceivable difference to the average
consumer in images made with high versus medium, and often low, quality
gear.
The technical quality of current gear, including the new micro 4/3s, is
actually extraordinary in both relative and absolute terms.
Most of you out there do not have aesthetic skills anyway that match the
technology of even a 1970's Vivitar zoom lens.
These younger consumers also do not have any inherent loyalty to the ancient
35mm film SLR design paradigm. Having no lifelong experience with TTL
viewing but having a lifetime experience with LCD viewing they will prefer
the latter as a matter of course.
This is called a paradigm shift. It affects not only the technology of image
capture but also the style of images produced.
Get used to it.
All non Nikon/Canon manufacturers know that if and when the recession ends
there will be a pent-up demand for new digital imaging products and they are
wise to position themselves with these new designs.
It is Canon and Nikon who have to play "catch-up" at this point and clearly
they realize that.
What you all have to realize is the days of the massive, heavy
"professional" 35mm style dSLR are going the way of film.
Personally I will mourn the loss of TTL viewing and all that implies about
the philosophy/aesthetics of image capture but I am not the intended market
for these devices.

From: David J Taylor on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
[]
> Anyway, I was horrified to find that Sony had acquired all the spare
> parts for the Hexar RF in the Konica Minolta takeover - and just
> dumped them! They went to landfill, ensuring that Hexar RF owners
> could no longer obtain spares. Sony should have sold on the parts to
> another company - apparently there were several offers of interest but
> Sony just ignored them.

Verging on the criminal, that! Crazy!

David

From: Mark L on
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:43:31 +0100, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>[]
>> Anyway, I was horrified to find that Sony had acquired all the spare
>> parts for the Hexar RF in the Konica Minolta takeover - and just
>> dumped them! They went to landfill, ensuring that Hexar RF owners
>> could no longer obtain spares. Sony should have sold on the parts to
>> another company - apparently there were several offers of interest but
>> Sony just ignored them.
>
>Verging on the criminal, that! Crazy!
>
>David

How is this any different than buying up someone else's software and then
burning it into the ground with no further fixes, support, nor updates,
just so they can sell their less capable software but one they have
invested more money in producing? It's called free-enterprise, capitalism,
economics. Happens every day in every facet of business--get rid of the
competition.

From: David J Taylor on

"Mark L" <markl071616(a)yaspamhoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:43:31 +0100, "David J Taylor"
> <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>[]
>>> Anyway, I was horrified to find that Sony had acquired all the spare
>>> parts for the Hexar RF in the Konica Minolta takeover - and just
>>> dumped them! They went to landfill, ensuring that Hexar RF owners
>>> could no longer obtain spares. Sony should have sold on the parts to
>>> another company - apparently there were several offers of interest but
>>> Sony just ignored them.
>>
>>Verging on the criminal, that! Crazy!
>>
>>David
>
> How is this any different than buying up someone else's software and
> then
> burning it into the ground with no further fixes, support, nor updates,
> just so they can sell their less capable software but one they have
> invested more money in producing? It's called free-enterprise,
> capitalism,
> economics. Happens every day in every facet of business--get rid of the
> competition.

Hardware fails, software (usually) continues working as well as it did on
day one, with the OS for which it originally worked.

David

From: Alan Lichtenstein on
lofi wrote:

> There is vast reservoir of consumers out there who have no concept of
> camera history and no reason to have any inherent loyalty to an
> established name brand.
> In truth, to the dismay of purists and those who cannot see the bigger
> picture, there is no effective or perceivable difference to the average
> consumer in images made with high versus medium, and often low, quality
> gear.
> The technical quality of current gear, including the new micro 4/3s, is
> actually extraordinary in both relative and absolute terms.
> Most of you out there do not have aesthetic skills anyway that match the
> technology of even a 1970's Vivitar zoom lens.
> These younger consumers also do not have any inherent loyalty to the
> ancient 35mm film SLR design paradigm. Having no lifelong experience
> with TTL viewing but having a lifetime experience with LCD viewing they
> will prefer the latter as a matter of course.
> This is called a paradigm shift. It affects not only the technology of
> image capture but also the style of images produced.
> Get used to it.
> All non Nikon/Canon manufacturers know that if and when the recession
> ends there will be a pent-up demand for new digital imaging products and
> they are wise to position themselves with these new designs.
> It is Canon and Nikon who have to play "catch-up" at this point and
> clearly they realize that.
> What you all have to realize is the days of the massive, heavy
> "professional" 35mm style dSLR are going the way of film.
> Personally I will mourn the loss of TTL viewing and all that implies
> about the philosophy/aesthetics of image capture but I am not the
> intended market for these devices.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

Indeed. In fact, Olympus is betting on that shift that you describe. I
do disagree with you, as there will always be SLR's with TTL viewing,
since there will always be professionals and committed hobbyists who
have the desire to develop the necessary.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony purple pictures
Next: New mirrorless camera forum opened