From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Hardware fails, software (usually) continues working as well as it did on
> day one, with the OS for which it originally worked.

Bitrot.

It explains why there are more security patches every
month for supposedly stable software, for example.

-Wolfgang
From: David J Taylor on
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hardware fails, software (usually) continues working as well as it did
>> on
>> day one, with the OS for which it originally worked.
>
> Bitrot.

No.

> It explains why there are more security patches every
> month for supposedly stable software, for example.
>
> -Wolfgang

Irrelevant to my point, though.

David

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/b/bitrot.html

>> It explains why there are more security patches every
>> month for supposedly stable software, for example.

> Irrelevant to my point, though.

In theory you are right, in practice however, software ages
not always gracefully.

-Wolfgang
From: David J Taylor on
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message
[]
> In theory you are right, in practice however, software ages
> not always gracefully.
>
> -Wolfgang

Perhaps it's the systems around the software, or the applications to which
it is put, or the environment in which it is run, which "ages"? [Date
dependant code - tax calculators - excepted, of course].

Cheers,
David

From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
David J Taylor <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message

>> In theory you are right, in practice however, software ages
>> not always gracefully.

> Perhaps it's the systems around the software, or the applications to which
> it is put, or the environment in which it is run, which "ages"?

They too age. Some of these systems around the software are
also software ... e.g. the OS.

Obvious examples for aging software is software written
for hardware that is no longer common, say graphic cards of
certain types or software assuming CRTs (or 5 1/4 inch floppy
disks) ... or just systems (which may still work perfectly) that
no longer fulfill the needs that have become expected or needed
in the meantime.[1]

-Wolfgang

[1] DSLRs that are not instant on, focussing systems that work but
take ages by comparison, 0.3 MPix digital cameras, chemical
sensors now expected to do ISO 3200 without much noise, black
and white TV sets, ... or in software, editors like edlin[2],
notepad as a programmers' editor, etc.
All of them (well, maybe except edlin) were good in their days,
but are no longer good today.
[2] The poor cousin of ed, which is the line-centric editor part
of vi (for *visual* editor --- where you see the whole text
and where you can just move the cursor to where you want to
change things. Unlike ed.[3]
[3] Don't get me wrong, there are some advantages to ed. You can
program it instead of moving to each single place to edit
manually.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony purple pictures
Next: New mirrorless camera forum opened