From: David J Taylor on
"Wolfgang Weisselberg" <ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote in message
[]
> They too age. Some of these systems around the software are
> also software ... e.g. the OS.
>
> Obvious examples for aging software is software written
> for hardware that is no longer common, say graphic cards of
> certain types or software assuming CRTs (or 5 1/4 inch floppy
> disks) ... or just systems (which may still work perfectly) that
> no longer fulfill the needs that have become expected or needed
> in the meantime.[1]
>
> -Wolfgang

But becoming obsolete is not the same as camera hardware being broken. A
repaired camera can work again, although in this case the number of people
using that camera (or even that film size) may not justify the cost of
repair (or of the repair facility being maintained).

When we first started this discussion, I was horrified that Sony abandoned
its users. Now, I am not quite so sure, although to turn down an offer
for someone to buy from you a business you did not want does seem a smack
in the face for your users, and that I would certainly criticise.

Cheers,
David

From: Peter on
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> But becoming obsolete is not the same as camera hardware being broken. A
> repaired camera can work again, although in this case the number of people
> using that camera (or even that film size) may not justify the cost of
> repair (or of the repair facility being maintained).
>
> When we first started this discussion, I was horrified that Sony abandoned
> its users. Now, I am not quite so sure, although to turn down an offer
> for someone to buy from you a business you did not want does seem a smack
> in the face for your users, and that I would certainly criticise.

There may be reasons you and I are not aware of. I am only speculating for
illustrative purposes. Possibly the technology could allow the purchaser to
compete in other areas. Yes, I am fully aware of non-compete and
non-disclosure clauses.

--
Peter

From: David J Taylor on

"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message news:i2mrfp$6u0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>

>> But becoming obsolete is not the same as camera hardware being broken.
>> A repaired camera can work again, although in this case the number of
>> people using that camera (or even that film size) may not justify the
>> cost of repair (or of the repair facility being maintained).
>>
>> When we first started this discussion, I was horrified that Sony
>> abandoned its users. Now, I am not quite so sure, although to turn
>> down an offer for someone to buy from you a business you did not want
>> does seem a smack in the face for your users, and that I would
>> certainly criticise.
>>

> There may be reasons you and I are not aware of. I am only speculating
> for illustrative purposes. Possibly the technology could allow the
> purchaser to compete in other areas. Yes, I am fully aware of
> non-compete and non-disclosure clauses.
>

> --
> Peter

Agreed - I was going to suggest something like that but thought that it
might only complicate the issue! What I would want to see in such
circumstances would be a full and frank disclosure as to the reasons
something was done, but honesty appears not to have the value it once
commanded.

David

From: Peter on

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message

>> There may be reasons you and I are not aware of. I am only speculating
>> for illustrative purposes. Possibly the technology could allow the
>> purchaser to compete in other areas. Yes, I am fully aware of non-compete
>> and non-disclosure clauses.
>>

> Agreed - I was going to suggest something like that but thought that it
> might only complicate the issue! What I would want to see in such
> circumstances would be a full and frank disclosure as to the reasons
> something was done, but honesty appears not to have the value it once
> commanded.

Why. All too often disclosure can only lead to a problem. A business should
never disclose anything, unless high morality, or the law requires it. What
I am referring to is the discretionary reasons for making a business
decision. If you are a shareholder in a publicly held company, you might ask
an appropriate question at a shareholders' meeting. Just as an example: a
reason is disclosed. Some shareholder will find a lawyer will find and
"expert" who will claim the reason was flawed. The inevitable shareholders'
suit will follow. Said lawsuit can easily become a business distraction.
etc.

--
Peter

From: David J Taylor on
> Why. All too often disclosure can only lead to a problem. A business
> should never disclose anything, unless high morality, or the law
> requires it. What I am referring to is the discretionary reasons for
> making a business decision. If you are a shareholder in a publicly held
> company, you might ask an appropriate question at a shareholders'
> meeting. Just as an example: a reason is disclosed. Some shareholder
> will find a lawyer will find and "expert" who will claim the reason was
> flawed. The inevitable shareholders' suit will follow. Said lawsuit can
> easily become a business distraction. etc.
>
> --
> Peter

A sad reflection on today's culture and values. I tend to have a higher
regard for the honest person than the liar. But we divert from
rec.photo.digital....

Cheers,
David

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony purple pictures
Next: New mirrorless camera forum opened