From: Peter on
"David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>> Why. All too often disclosure can only lead to a problem. A business
>> should never disclose anything, unless high morality, or the law requires
>> it. What I am referring to is the discretionary reasons for making a
>> business decision. If you are a shareholder in a publicly held company,
>> you might ask an appropriate question at a shareholders' meeting. Just as
>> an example: a reason is disclosed. Some shareholder will find a lawyer
>> will find and "expert" who will claim the reason was flawed. The
>> inevitable shareholders' suit will follow. Said lawsuit can easily become
>> a business distraction. etc.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>
> A sad reflection on today's culture and values. I tend to have a higher
> regard for the honest person than the liar.

Most of us do. What is a lie. In our society we have different standards. It
is not a lie for a business to not disclose motives for a decision. It is
immoral for a business to sell you a camera, without maintaining a
reasonable supply of replacement parts.
If I purchase a camera based upon specs it is not a lie for the store to
sell me what I ask for.
OTOH: If I specify a function and they sell me one that will not be
suitable, the salesman has lied. In that case there would be a breach of an
implied warranty of fitness for use. There is a think line, but the line is
very real and exists.

--
Peter

From: David J Taylor on
"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in
> message
[]
>> A sad reflection on today's culture and values. I tend to have a
>> higher regard for the honest person than the liar.
>

> Most of us do. What is a lie. In our society we have different
> standards. It is not a lie for a business to not disclose motives for a
> decision. It is immoral for a business to sell you a camera, without
> maintaining a reasonable supply of replacement parts.
> If I purchase a camera based upon specs it is not a lie for the store to
> sell me what I ask for.
> OTOH: If I specify a function and they sell me one that will not be
> suitable, the salesman has lied. In that case there would be a breach of
> an implied warranty of fitness for use. There is a think line, but the
> line is very real and exists.
>

> --
> Peter

In the UK, an item must be "fit for purpose", either as described on the
box ("photograph birds at 200m!") or (I understand) fit for the purpose
the customer described ("I want to take photos of my children on the
move"). Perhaps you already know that.

Lying about specifications causes problems for me:

- example 1, I bought a Minolta A2, believing that the viewfinder had
"900K pixels". Well, it doesn't - it had ~300K pixels, 900K dots. My
reaction - if the company has lied, or been economical with the truth
about this, what else can I not trust them about. The camera went back
for a full refund.

- example 2, my cable company offers "a 20 Mb/s service with unlimited
downloads", but if you download more than 3GB (or whatever the limit is)
they cut the speed back to 5Mb/s! Enough people complained about that one
that they added it - albeit in about 2-point text - to their information.

Cheers,
David

From: Peter on
> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "David J Taylor" <david-taylor(a)blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> []
>>> A sad reflection on today's culture and values. I tend to have a higher
>>> regard for the honest person than the liar.
>>

>> Most of us do. What is a lie. In our society we have different standards.
>> It is not a lie for a business to not disclose motives for a decision. It
>> is immoral for a business to sell you a camera, without maintaining a
>> reasonable supply of replacement parts.
>> If I purchase a camera based upon specs it is not a lie for the store to
>> sell me what I ask for.
>> OTOH: If I specify a function and they sell me one that will not be
>> suitable, the salesman has lied. In that case there would be a breach of
>> an implied warranty of fitness for use. There is a think line, but the
>> line is very real and exists.
>>

>> --
>> Peter
>
> In the UK, an item must be "fit for purpose", either as described on the
> box ("photograph birds at 200m!") or (I understand) fit for the purpose
> the customer described ("I want to take photos of my children on the
> move"). Perhaps you already know that.
>
> Lying about specifications causes problems for me:
>
> - example 1, I bought a Minolta A2, believing that the viewfinder had
> "900K pixels". Well, it doesn't - it had ~300K pixels, 900K dots. My
> reaction - if the company has lied, or been economical with the truth
> about this, what else can I not trust them about. The camera went back
> for a full refund.

As well it should.

> - example 2, my cable company offers "a 20 Mb/s service with unlimited
> downloads", but if you download more than 3GB (or whatever the limit is)
> they cut the speed back to 5Mb/s! Enough people complained about that one
> that they added it - albeit in about 2-point text - to their information.

Cable companies are more hateful than any other.
Our local cable company is running ad that are an outright lie. they claim
Verizon, a competitor, charges a termination fee. Verizon does not charge
any termination fee.

Cable company claims 40% of those who switched to Verizon, switched back to
cable. Meaning 60% preferred Verizon. etc.

--
Peter

From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:40:37 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
: On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
: <otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
: >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
: >wrote:
: >>Amateur Photographer:
: >>
: >>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
: >>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
: >>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
: >>warn.
: >
: >The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
: >reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.
:
:
: The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
: claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
: UK market. None.
:
: The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
: no comparable retail data available from US sources. The Japanese
: photo industry stopped publishing retail data a couple of years ago.
: No other countries except the UK publish their data. So the whining
: Canadian seized on the only market data that is still being published.
:
: >Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.
:
: Your American arrogance is showing.

Come on, Bruce, I'm sure you realize that Outing doesn't speak for the rest of
us.

Bob
From: Bruce on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:44:58 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:40:37 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>: On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:59:28 -0500, Outing Trolls is FUN!
>: <otif(a)trollouters.org> wrote:
>: >On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 19:40:58 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>: >wrote:
>: >>Amateur Photographer:
>: >>
>: >>The rise of the mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera has
>: >>boosted the UK's digital camera market but their relatively high price
>: >>will limit growth of this sector in the short to medium term, analysts
>: >>warn.
>: >
>: >The UK market is 0.9% of the world. Why they think that they in any way
>: >reflect the rest of the world is beyond me.
>:
>:
>: The report is from a UK magazine that sells mostly in the UK. No
>: claims were made that the data is representative of anything but the
>: UK market. None.
>:
>: The whining Canadian probably chose to post it here because there is
>: no comparable retail data available from US sources. The Japanese
>: photo industry stopped publishing retail data a couple of years ago.
>: No other countries except the UK publish their data. So the whining
>: Canadian seized on the only market data that is still being published.
>:
>: >Just more of their lousy bloody british pomposity.
>:
>: Your American arrogance is showing.
>
>Come on, Bruce, I'm sure you realize that Outing doesn't speak for the rest of
>us.

Yes, of course I realise that. There are some very likeable
Americans, but this guy certainly isn't one of them.

I was merely responding to his accusations aimed at my countrymen,
based on the ranting of a slightly deranged whining Canadian. So a
slight dig at his American arrogance didn't seem at all inappropriate.
;-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Sony purple pictures
Next: New mirrorless camera forum opened