From: Ron in NY on
Ken <noreply(a)charter.net> wrote:

>On 3/21/2010 8:55 AM, Ron in NY wrote:
>> Ken<Ken(a)charter.net> wrote:

..
>Gottcha. Ordered my chipsetter yesterday and found the Inksupply.com
>website. It looks like their Premium inks are the MIS inks.
>
>Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I have been looking at videos
>about refilling and the process seems pretty straight-forward, although
>I don't have any of the equipment yet. On the written instructions on
>the inksupply.com
>(http://www.inksupply.com/instructions/can_cli8_pgi5refill.pdf), they
>state one should drill a small hole into the top of the sponge
>compartment (page 3, #3 instruction), but if a vent is needed, why
>wasn't one put there to begin with? Also, on a couple of youtube
>videos, no one put a vent hole into that compartment.
>
>Please tell me whether you do that and whether you have any other tips
>(such as when I change from the Canon inks to theMIS inks, do I need to
>change all of them at the same time to keep color relatively the same).
>
>Thanks
>Ken K
There is already a vent under the cellophane on the top of the cart. The chip
resetter I got came with 5 bottles of ink and different instructions. I drill a
hole in the front of the cart, above the exit hole and inject ink through the
sponge and into the reservoir. I don't have to plug the hole afterwards either,
and no ink drips out. Where did you order your chip resetter from ??? If it is
called the "Redsetter", it will probably come with ink and those same
instructions. You can refill the carts as needed--not necessary to do all at the
same time.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
From: OG on

"Ken" <Ken(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>I have been looking online for a source for small quantities (about 4 oz or
>so) of OEM Canon inks with which to refill my CLI-8 cartridges. Does anyone
>know of a source?
>
> (I have heard that using non-OEM inks is risky--is that people's
> experience?)

Do you think it likely that Canon has a factory making its own inks?

I've used supermarket refill inks for several years on a Canon mp160 (every
6-12 months we buy new PG40 and CL50 cartridges and we refill them as
necessary) and had no problem with it.

Most times a genuine cartridge will survive 3-5 refills.

From: Ken on
OG said the following on 3/23/2010 5:58 PM:
> "Ken"<Ken(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> I have been looking online for a source for small quantities (about 4 oz or
>> so) of OEM Canon inks with which to refill my CLI-8 cartridges. Does anyone
>> know of a source?
>>
>> (I have heard that using non-OEM inks is risky--is that people's
>> experience?)
>
> Do you think it likely that Canon has a factory making its own inks?
>
> I've used supermarket refill inks for several years on a Canon mp160 (every
> 6-12 months we buy new PG40 and CL50 cartridges and we refill them as
> necessary) and had no problem with it.
>
> Most times a genuine cartridge will survive 3-5 refills.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about the lifespan of the cartridges. How do
I recognize when a new cartridge is needed and not just a refill?

Ken K
From: Ken on
Ron in NY said the following on 3/21/2010 8:03 PM:
> Ken<noreply(a)charter.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/21/2010 8:55 AM, Ron in NY wrote:
>>> Ken<Ken(a)charter.net> wrote:
>>>
> .
>> Gottcha. Ordered my chipsetter yesterday and found the Inksupply.com
>> website. It looks like their Premium inks are the MIS inks.
>>
>> Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I have been looking at videos
>> about refilling and the process seems pretty straight-forward, although
>> I don't have any of the equipment yet. On the written instructions on
>> the inksupply.com
>> (http://www.inksupply.com/instructions/can_cli8_pgi5refill.pdf), they
>> state one should drill a small hole into the top of the sponge
>> compartment (page 3, #3 instruction), but if a vent is needed, why
>> wasn't one put there to begin with? Also, on a couple of youtube
>> videos, no one put a vent hole into that compartment.
>>
>> Please tell me whether you do that and whether you have any other tips
>> (such as when I change from the Canon inks to theMIS inks, do I need to
>> change all of them at the same time to keep color relatively the same).
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken K
> There is already a vent under the cellophane on the top of the cart. The chip
> resetter I got came with 5 bottles of ink and different instructions. I drill a
> hole in the front of the cart, above the exit hole and inject ink through the
> sponge and into the reservoir. I don't have to plug the hole afterwards either,
> and no ink drips out. Where did you order your chip resetter from ??? If it is
> called the "Redsetter", it will probably come with ink and those same
> instructions. You can refill the carts as needed--not necessary to do all at the
> same time.
>

> RON
> Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Thanks for the info. I found instructions somewhere that show putting a
needle through the sponge, injecting 3-4 different directions, then
remove the ball on top of the reservoir, replacing it with the rubber
portion of a plunger from a 1 cc tuberculin syringe (I have legal access
to them). What I am wondering with your method is whether, if I can
fill the reservoir by drilling a hole and sealing it with glue, is there
any reason to remove the ball valve that seals the top of the
reservoir??? Seems like there would be no reason to remove it. (What I
don't understand is when you say that you drill a hole in the "front" of
the cartridge, which is the side you consider the front??)

Thanks
Ken K
From: Ken on
Martin Trautmann said the following on 3/24/2010 12:48 AM:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 00:58:30 -0000, OG wrote:
>>
>> "Ken"<Ken(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>>> I have been looking online for a source for small quantities (about 4 oz or
>>> so) of OEM Canon inks with which to refill my CLI-8 cartridges. Does anyone
>>> know of a source?
>>>
>>> (I have heard that using non-OEM inks is risky--is that people's
>>> experience?)
>>
>> Do you think it likely that Canon has a factory making its own inks?
>
> Yes - they are big enough to have this option.
>
>> I've used supermarket refill inks for several years on a Canon mp160 (every
>> 6-12 months we buy new PG40 and CL50 cartridges and we refill them as
>> necessary) and had no problem with it.
>
> On the other hand I seriously doubt that the stuff sold in supermarket
> refill inks always comes from the same source, same ink, same quality.
>
> Personally, I sometimes buy 5x100 or max 5x250 ml and will refill for
> ages.
>
> - Martin
Which brand of ink do you recommend, Martin?