From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
MJ Ray <mjr(a)phonecoop.coop> writes:

> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote:
>> Spamcop.net can be used for three purposes:
>> a) "binary blocking" (blocking based on spamcop.net listing *ONLY*)
>> you and I "discourage+" it :-)
>> b) as part of "cumulative" blocking score
>> spamassassin uses it for this purpose with the following scores in
>> version 3.1.7:
>> score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET 0 1.332 0 1.558
>> c) as a tool to ease sending abuse reports
>> [ *every* spam received constitutes solicitation for abuse@* report :-) ]
>>
>> *"a" is brave/stupid but "b" and "c" do make sense*.
>
> I disagree. b is just adding a random number to your spamassassin
> score

The score is "adjusted" by spamassassin's folks at every release.
As I understand it is "automatically fine tuned" between releases.

Do you challenge their "score assigning" wisdom?

> and c is better done with whois.abuse.net directly - spamcop abuse reports
> are pretty hopeless IMO and often seem to go to the wrong postmaster.

I report 100+ spams a day, every "helper" counts :-)

I use *reachable* free email accounts in my usenet posts and I spent
2-3 seconds per spam for personal verification of spamassassin's
"classified as spam". Everything else is fully automated.

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)priv.onet.pl : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
From: MJ Ray on
Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi(a)onet.eu>
> The score is "adjusted" by spamassassin's folks at every release.
> As I understand it is "automatically fine tuned" between releases.
>
> Do you challenge their "score assigning" wisdom?

If they assign any multiplier above 0 to spamcop, yep.

> > and c is better done with whois.abuse.net directly - spamcop abuse reports
> > are pretty hopeless IMO and often seem to go to the wrong postmaster.
>
> I report 100+ spams a day, every "helper" counts :-)

If one reports through spamcop, it is almost useless, for the reasons
previously given. Use whois.abuse.net directly instead.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef

From: Nix on
On 24 Nov 2006, MJ Ray said:

> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi(a)onet.eu>
>> The score is "adjusted" by spamassassin's folks at every release.
>> As I understand it is "automatically fine tuned" between releases.
>>
>> Do you challenge their "score assigning" wisdom?
>
> If they assign any multiplier above 0 to spamcop, yep.

Actually, if anything, SpamCop, like Bayes, probably got an excessively
low score in 3.1.x and 3.0.x (Bayes was hand-adjusted up, but nobody
touched SpamCop). That's because when the training mass-checks are done,
the text-based rules haven't been picked up by many spammers, so will
hit a lot of spam; the scores for other rules are adjusted down as a
consequence. Then SA is released, the spammers adapt to the fixed-text
rules, and suddenly the scores for the other rules are too low :(

Current statistics for RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET as of the most recent
network mass-check are available at
<http://ruleqa.spamassassin.org/?daterev=20061118-r476474-n&rule=%2FSPAMCOP&srcpath=&s_detail=on&g=Change>

MSECS SPAM% HAM% S/O% RANK SCORE NAME
0.00000 37.5185 1.3859 0.964 0.62 0.00 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET

(The score is 0 because the ruleqa runs don't try to assign scores to
network or Bayes rules.)

A rank of 0.62 isn't very good: nearly all the truly effective rules are
above it. (It seems high, but a good few rules hit nothing, and some
effectively non-forgeable rules, especially header rules, are *intended*
to hit ham and thus will have a very low rank and receive a negative
score.)

I suspect that at this point the spamcop rules are most useful in meta
rules, but we'd need to do a network scoring run to be sure.

>> > and c is better done with whois.abuse.net directly - spamcop abuse reports
>> > are pretty hopeless IMO and often seem to go to the wrong postmaster.
>>
>> I report 100+ spams a day, every "helper" counts :-)
>
> If one reports through spamcop, it is almost useless, for the reasons
> previously given. Use whois.abuse.net directly instead.

I concur. Plus it's vastly annoying to report any significant volume of
spam through SpamCop, to the point that I don't bother at all.

--
`The main high-level difference between Emacs and (say) UNIX, Windows,
or BeOS... is that Emacs boots quicker.' --- PdS