From: JWald on
"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "JWald"
>> "Phil Allison"
>>> "JWald"

>>> ** The lead wires used in most speakers are woven from tin plated copper
>>> foil and cotton.

>>> ** Yep - but it is a skilled job.

>>> ** Likely one or both leads have frayed so much to copper foil is broken
>>> all around.

>>> ** Fraid they do - pal.
>>>
>>> Eg:
>>>
>>> http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_3_10tp8c.htm?sid=6991fd9f5f4ee73d8e860c76cf305396
>>>

>> If only that was in the states. I can't find anything here.
>>

> ** Have you tried the obvious???
>
> support(a)samsontech.com
>

> .... Phil

To be honest... no.
I checked with my local dealer and was told Hartke/Samson doesn't sell those
drivers as replacements. I should have known to go to the source first, but
I didn't. I'm sending them mail now.

--
J Wald

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

From: Zilog on
JWald wrote:
> "Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>> "JWald"
>>> "Phil Allison"

>>> If only that was in the states. I can't find anything here.
>>>
>> ** Have you tried the obvious???
>>
>> support(a)samsontech.com
>>

>> .... Phil
>

> To be honest... no.
> I checked with my local dealer and was told Hartke/Samson doesn't sell those
> drivers as replacements. I should have known to go to the source first, but
> I didn't. I'm sending them mail now.

Hi,

I had trouble to find these wires to and after a long search found this
link:
http://www.speakerbits.com/products/speakers/speaker-braid-wire-speaker-tinsel-speaker-lead-in-wire/list-168.aspx
Check also the rest of their web site.
Great service and they ship fast.
Prices are very fair and the tutorials are handy.

Save the link and write it down somewhere where you will find after a
computer crash...

It's not such a difficult job if there is no epoxy used to fix the wires
to the voice coil!!! Thanks EV!

Good luck...

Cheers,
Zilog
From: Zilog on
Zilog wrote:
> JWald wrote:

Snip
..
..
> I had trouble to find these wires to and after a long search found this
> link:
> http://www.speakerbits.com/products/speakers/speaker-braid-wire-speaker-tinsel-speaker-lead-in-wire/list-168.aspx
>
> Check also the rest of their web site.
> Great service and they ship fast.
> Prices are very fair and the tutorials are handy.
>
> Save the link and write it down somewhere where you will find after a
> computer crash...
>
> It's not such a difficult job if there is no epoxy used to fix the wires
> to the voice coil!!! Thanks EV!

Forgot to give a way to test the connections (mechanically)

To test if the length of the wires are not to short or to long, connect
a 12V AC source to your speaker. Use an AC adapter that can deliver a
few watts only.
You will hear the 50 (60) Hz hum and take a look at the wiggling wires.
They should form an elipse and noth to much stretched.
Neither should they touch each other (short Circuit)

From: Gareth Magennis on

"JWald" <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote in message
> What are lead wires made of, and are they replaceable? I've got a driver
> in my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced the problem to the
> lead wires that connect the coil to the terminals. I've resoldered the
> connection at the terminal, but it only worked for a couple of days. Is
> there a fix that I'm missing? It is a Hartke amp, and they don't sell
> their aluminum drivers for replacement. Thanks.
> --
> J Wald

Its quite possible you are trying to treat the symptoms rather than the
cause.

Breaking the braids usually means the speaker cone is moving too far.
Meaning you are either overdriving it, or the suspension has gone. If you
are overdriving it, don't so that. If the suspension is worn, buy another
one.

Gareth.

From: Zilog on
Gareth Magennis wrote:

> "JWald" <wldj4(a)grics.net> wrote in message
>> What are lead wires made of, and are they replaceable? I've got a
>> driver in my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced the
>> problem to the lead wires that connect the coil to the terminals. I've
>> resoldered the connection at the terminal, but it only worked for a
>> couple of days. Is there a fix that I'm missing? It is a Hartke amp,
>> and they don't sell their aluminum drivers for replacement. Thanks.
>> --
>> J Wald
>

> Its quite possible you are trying to treat the symptoms rather than the
> cause.
>
> Breaking the braids usually means the speaker cone is moving too far.
> Meaning you are either overdriving it, or the suspension has gone. If
> you are overdriving it, don't so that. If the suspension is worn, buy
> another one.
>

> Gareth.
Hoi Gareth,
I repaired about a dozen EV speakers mounted in Dynacord PA cabinets.
They are all back in service and runneing well several years now.
The leads are a bit to short and eventually break.]
And I know the user, He uses a lot of speakers but never ever plays loud
and overstreches the speakers, never ever.
There fore he uses 24 cabinets...
Must have been a factory default...
Zilog