From: JWald on
What are lead wires made of, and are they replaceable? I've got a driver in
my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced the problem to the lead
wires that connect the coil to the terminals. I've resoldered the connection
at the terminal, but it only worked for a couple of days. Is there a fix
that I'm missing? It is a Hartke amp, and they don't sell their aluminum
drivers for replacement. Thanks.
--
J Wald

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.... "

From: Denny Strauser on
JWald wrote:
> What are lead wires made of, and are they replaceable? I've got a driver in
> my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced the problem to the lead
> wires that connect the coil to the terminals. I've resoldered the connection
> at the terminal, but it only worked for a couple of days. Is there a fix
> that I'm missing? It is a Hartke amp, and they don't sell their aluminum
> drivers for replacement. Thanks.

I've had leads get intermittent where they go through the paper cone,
likely due to over-excursion. Most, I've been able to re-solder on the
cone. I've bent the solder tabs on the terminals to buy a little extra
length for the leads. You might be able to use leads from a blown
speaker to replace the ones you're having problems with. But, I'm not
sure if this can be done on aluminum cones. It's not easy to do on paper
cones.

- Denny
From: Phil Allison on

"JWald"

> What are lead wires made of,

** The lead wires used in most speakers are woven from tin plated copper
foil and cotton.

> and are they replaceable?

** Yep - but it is a skilled job.

> I've got a driver in my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced
> the problem to the lead wires that connect the coil to the terminals. I've
> resoldered the connection at the terminal, but it only worked for a couple
> of days. Is there a fix that I'm missing?

** Likely one or both leads have frayed so much to copper foil is broken all
around.

> It is a Hartke amp, and they don't sell their aluminum drivers for
> replacement.

** Fraid they do - pal.

Eg:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_3_10tp8c.htm?sid=6991fd9f5f4ee73d8e860c76cf305396

...... Phil

From: JWald on
"Phil Allison" <phil_a(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in message

> "JWald"
>
>> What are lead wires made of,
>
> ** The lead wires used in most speakers are woven from tin plated copper
> foil and cotton.
>
>> and are they replaceable?
>
> ** Yep - but it is a skilled job.
>

>> I've got a driver in my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced
>> the problem to the lead wires that connect the coil to the terminals.
>> I've resoldered the connection at the terminal, but it only worked for a
>> couple of days. Is there a fix that I'm missing?
>

> ** Likely one or both leads have frayed so much to copper foil is broken
> all around.
>
>> It is a Hartke amp, and they don't sell their aluminum drivers for
>> replacement.
>
> ** Fraid they do - pal.
>
> Eg:
>
> http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_3_10tp8c.htm?sid=6991fd9f5f4ee73d8e860c76cf305396
>

> ..... Phil

If only that was in the states. I can't find anything here.

--
J Wald

From: Phil Allison on

"JWald"
> "Phil Allison"
>> "JWald"
>>
>>> What are lead wires made of,
>>
>> ** The lead wires used in most speakers are woven from tin plated copper
>> foil and cotton.
>>
>>> and are they replaceable?
>>
>> ** Yep - but it is a skilled job.
>>

>>> I've got a driver in my bass amp that is giving me trouble. I've traced
>>> the problem to the lead wires that connect the coil to the terminals.
>>> I've resoldered the connection at the terminal, but it only worked for a
>>> couple of days. Is there a fix that I'm missing?
>>

>> ** Likely one or both leads have frayed so much to copper foil is broken
>> all around.
>>
>>> It is a Hartke amp, and they don't sell their aluminum drivers for
>>> replacement.
>>
>> ** Fraid they do - pal.
>>
>> Eg:
>>
>> http://www.thomann.de/gb/hartke_3_10tp8c.htm?sid=6991fd9f5f4ee73d8e860c76cf305396
>>

> If only that was in the states. I can't find anything here.

** Have you tried the obvious???

support(a)samsontech.com

..... Phil