From: Bob Horton on
Hi!

I apologize in advance if this is something that is common knowledge, but I
have not been able to hit on the magic Google word combination to find my
answer if such is the case.

I use Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my email editor. The machine runs XP
SP2. All updates for all programs are in place.

In my spell check settings, I have always had the settings set to check
spelling before sending the message and to ignore the original text in
replies and forwards. Recently it has started to check the original text as
well. I have tried "cycling through" the settings (un-checking the "check
original text" option, closing Outlook), restarting, re-checking the tick
box, closing Outlook, then re-starting) with no joy. I have also tried this
process with a reboot instead of just closing Outlook. Again no joy. I
suspect a corrupt registry setting but don't know where to look. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

TIA.

--
Bob Horton

From: neo [mvp outlook] on
Outlook 2003 writes back to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling

FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word settings
influence spell checking behavior.

From: Bob Horton on
"neo [mvp outlook]" <neo(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook 2003 writes back to:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>

> FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word
> settings influence spell checking behavior.
>
> "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I apologize in advance if this is something that is common knowledge, but
>> I have not been able to hit on the magic Google word combination to find
>> my answer if such is the case.
>>
>> I use Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my email editor. The machine runs
>> XP SP2. All updates for all programs are in place.
>>
>> In my spell check settings, I have always had the settings set to check
>> spelling before sending the message and to ignore the original text in
>> replies and forwards. Recently it has started to check the original text
>> as well. I have tried "cycling through" the settings (un-checking the
>> "check original text" option, closing Outlook), restarting, re-checking
>> the tick box, closing Outlook, then re-starting) with no joy. I have
>> also tried this process with a reboot instead of just closing Outlook.
>> Again no joy. I suspect a corrupt registry setting but don't know where
>> to look. Any suggestions are appreciated.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Horton

Here are the current settings from my registry. I don't think I see a key
that intuitively looks like the right one. Again, TIA for any help:

Key Name:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 8/9/2006 - 11:33 AM
Value 0
Name: Check
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x1

Value 1
Name: UseAutoCorrect
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x1

Value 2
Name: Speller
Type: REG_SZ
Data: 1033\Normal

Value 3
Name: SpellDlgDX
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0x139

Value 4
Name: SpellDlgDY
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0xffffffb2

--
Bob Horton

From: Mary on
It will observe your settings only once, so if you reopen to edit the
message, the whole message will be rechecked. I just select Cancel when it
comes up and select Send Anyway.

From: Bob Horton on
"Mary" <Mary(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It will observe your settings only once, so if you reopen to edit the
> message, the whole message will be rechecked. I just select Cancel when it
> comes up and select Send Anyway.
>
> "Bob Horton" wrote:
>
>> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Outlook 2003 writes back to:
>> >
>> > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>> >

>> > FWIW, I don't use Word as my e-mail editor so I'm not sure if Word
>> > settings influence spell checking behavior.
>> >
>> > "Bob Horton" <no_re_horton_jr_maps(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Here are the current settings from my registry. I don't think I see a
>> key
>> that intuitively looks like the right one. Again, TIA for any help:
>>
>> Key Name:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Options\Spelling
>> Class Name: <NO CLASS>
>> Last Write Time: 8/9/2006 - 11:33 AM
>> Value 0
>> Name: Check
>> Type: REG_DWORD
>> Data: 0x1
>>
>> Value 1
>> Name: UseAutoCorrect
>> Type: REG_DWORD
>> Data: 0x1
>>
>> Value 2
>> Name: Speller
>> Type: REG_SZ
>> Data: 1033\Normal
>>
>> Value 3
>> Name: SpellDlgDX
>> Type: REG_DWORD
>> Data: 0x139
>>
>> Value 4
>> Name: SpellDlgDY
>> Type: REG_DWORD
>> Data: 0xffffffb2
>>

>> --
>> Bob Horton

Unfortunately, that isn't my problem. It checks the entire message the
first time it's opened (for reply, forward, or anything else). I tried the
detect/repair function with no joy. The funny thing is that this just
started happening. I'm not sure that it's relevant (and less sure that it's
even true), but there is a chance that at some time in the process I may
have selected the "use Word for rich text" check box. It is not selected
now. Is that one of these keys? If not, if someone could point me to that
I'd try changing its value just for grins. Again, TIA, as this is a major
pain given the number of emails I handle combined with my poor typing skills
:)

--
Bob Horton