From: Arthur Entlich on
I suspect certain nozzles in your printer head are clogged. With Canon
printers, different nozzle sizes exists for each ink dot size, which
differs from a printer like an Epson which is able to create different
ink dot sizes using the same nozzles.

This explains why your HIGH printing looks reasonable but your lower
quality does not.

I believe the cartridges each have a chip on them which recalls the ink
levels, such that removing and reinstalling them should not cause the
printer to reject the cartridges or change the ink levels recorded.

If you could benefit from a general cleaning manual regarding Canon
heads, please email me for a free copy at:

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/