Next: RGSS
From: Robert Feldt on
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:06:38 +0900, Alexander Kellett
<ruby-lists(a)lypanov.net> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2005, at 10:50 AM, gabriele renzi wrote:
> > maybe he meant that we do not have, yet, a rubyish standard gui[1] or
> > audio engine, and that our engine is much slower than Squeak's.
> > Maybe it could be more interesting to hack a ruby interface *for*
> > squeak instead of reinventing the wheel :)
>
> i can't stand squeak personally
> though it has some useful tools.
>
> i'll try and do a rpa/gem for qtruby4
> whenever its out. maybe then we'll have
> an easy to install cross platform gui
> then we can actually make a good class
> browser :)

With Trolltech releasing qt4 for windows it would be interesting to
know the state of qtruby4 for windows? And Mac OS? Is it truly
cross-platform?

On the squeak issue: Depends on what you mean with squeak, there are
very many aspects to it. Related to the VM issues I've resurrected my
old writing from my last employer (Thanks Ryan!) and have a few
squeak-related rubyvm material up on this page

http://www.pronovomundo.com/projects/ruby/rubyvm/

although I think ruby2c is where similar kind of action has happening today.

On MorphR: I'm actually trying to find a student for finishing that
off this spring. We'll see what happens. I still think having a GUI
fully implemented in and thus controllable from/with pure Ruby would
be very useful.

Best,

Robert

From: Alexander Kellett on
On Feb 8, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Robert Feldt wrote:
> With Trolltech releasing qt4 for windows it would be interesting to
> know the state of qtruby4 for windows? And Mac OS? Is it truly
> cross-platform?

yup. works fine on mac os. however i've not yet
tried it on windows. i'll try and hijack a windows box
and get it compiled with mingw32. it should just work out
of the box. however neither me nor richard have begun
work on a qt4 port of qtruby as i'm busy with various other
projects and qt4 isn't actually used in kde at all upto
now. hopefully in the coming weeks i'll take a look.
qt4 and thusly windows qt4 will be second quarter this
year so we should have quite a bit of time :)

> On the squeak issue: Depends on what you mean with squeak, there are
> very many aspects to it. Related to the VM issues I've resurrected my
> old writing from my last employer (Thanks Ryan!) and have a few
> squeak-related rubyvm material up on this page

maybe you'd be interested in:
www.lypanov.net/rubydium7.pdf

btw, i tried contacting you a while back wrt ruth
and was wondering if the spam filters caught the
email? summary - would you like patches?

Alex

From: Robert Feldt on
> > On the squeak issue: Depends on what you mean with squeak, there are
> > very many aspects to it. Related to the VM issues I've resurrected my
> > old writing from my last employer (Thanks Ryan!) and have a few
> > squeak-related rubyvm material up on this page
>
> maybe you'd be interested in:
> www.lypanov.net/rubydium7.pdf

I am, but the little time I have for ruby vm/interpreters has gone
into compilers lately... ;)

I'm especially interested in your use of pyggy though. Does this mean
you have a GLR grammar for Ruby lying around? I would like to try that
with rockit so if it is available / open-sourced please pass on; that
could save time. I have the starts of GLR grammars for Ruby but
nothing complete. Maybe we can join forces?

> btw, i tried contacting you a while back wrt ruth
> and was wondering if the spam filters caught the
> email? summary - would you like patches?

Sure, although I tend to think that ParseTree would be a more
maintained/modern alternative?

Best,

Robert

From: Richard Dale on
Alexander Kellett wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Robert Feldt wrote:
>> With Trolltech releasing qt4 for windows it would be interesting to
>> know the state of qtruby4 for windows? And Mac OS? Is it truly
>> cross-platform?
>
> yup. works fine on mac os. however i've not yet
> tried it on windows. i'll try and hijack a windows box
> and get it compiled with mingw32. it should just work out
> of the box. however neither me nor richard have begun
> work on a qt4 port of qtruby as i'm busy with various other
> projects and qt4 isn't actually used in kde at all upto
> now. hopefully in the coming weeks i'll take a look.
> qt4 and thusly windows qt4 will be second quarter this
> year so we should have quite a bit of time :)
All I've done is download Qt 4.0 and have a look at how slots/signals are
implemented. Instead of QUObjects, it uses arrays of 'void *'s to pass the
arguments to a slot. That actually seemed more similar to how the Smoke
library expects its args, than the old way. Just that some things were
pointers to pointers, instead of just pointers.

But it would be really good to do some sort of prototype as soon as possible
with Qt 4, to get any implementation uncertainties out of the way.

>> On the squeak issue: Depends on what you mean with squeak, there are
>> very many aspects to it. Related to the VM issues I've resurrected my
>> old writing from my last employer (Thanks Ryan!) and have a few
>> squeak-related rubyvm material up on this page
>
> maybe you'd be interested in:
> www.lypanov.net/rubydium7.pdf
>
> btw, i tried contacting you a while back wrt ruth
> and was wondering if the spam filters caught the
> email? summary - would you like patches?
I'd love to do Squeak bindings for Qt/KDE, so we could integrate Croquet
with KDE. I did do some KDE Objective-C bindings, and solved the problem of
how to derive Smalltalk style method names from a C++ api - Squeak should
be very similar. Just need to change the Smoke library to keep tables of
arg names, like it keeps arg types at present.

-- Richard
From: Alexander Kellett on
On Feb 8, 2005, at 1:02 PM, Robert Feldt wrote:
> I am, but the little time I have for ruby vm/interpreters has gone
> into compilers lately... ;)

hehe. ruby compilers? how goes with that?

> I'm especially interested in your use of pyggy though. Does this mean
> you have a GLR grammar for Ruby lying around? I would like to try that
> with rockit so if it is available / open-sourced please pass on; that
> could save time. I have the starts of GLR grammars for Ruby but
> nothing complete. Maybe we can join forces?

its also just a beginning. just fiddling around with
parsing of heredocs, #{}, %w{}, etc. really a very tiny
syntax but it was fun. what sort of parser does rockit
have? you have a working 1.8.x release now i guess ;)
will that be released anytime? i seem to recall that
you went part c part ruby, which means its out for
use with rubydium unfortunately. as soon as i'm finished
with the current rubydium optimisations i'll do some more
work on the glr ruby grammar.

>> btw, i tried contacting you a while back wrt ruth
>> and was wondering if the spam filters caught the
>> email? summary - would you like patches?
>>
> Sure, although I tend to think that ParseTree would be a more
> maintained/modern alternative?

ruth does everything i've needed up to now :)
just a few minor patches to the ast and some random
stuff like multiassigns aren't supported, but i've
got plenty more to implement in rubydium before that :)

was going to switch to a pyggy based parsetree
whenever i find the time, but that'll be several
months ago at a guess.

Alex

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4