Next: RGSS
From: Alexander Kellett on
On Feb 8, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Caio Tiago Oliveira wrote:
> IRB, which is the thing more likely to squeak workspace doesn't work
> very well on windows. The IDEs for Ruby I tried are almost only
> shortcuts for run the program and syntax colouring. There is a lack of
> great features. The Refactoring of Freeride is still in development
> (almost anything worked for me) and I couldn't find it in my version
> of ArachnoRuby.

have you tried the mingw32 1.8.2 windows install that eban
uploaded to raa today? i found cygwin very unstable in the
past, maybe other versions work much better? if i remember
correctly there are some bugs in completion on linux also,
but not as severe as the ones you see. not many people use
windows here unfortunately so until the windows users help
out nothing much will change. (the people that do use windows
are severely time limited and there are very few of them :( )

ruvi also supports the rrb refactoring, and i also noticed
that while it works well on small examples it falls down
majorly on more complex examples. if you could file bug
reports with testcases i'm sure that someone out there
would be willing to fix them :)

> Yes, Ruby is very slow.

wouldn't say its very slow :)
but yeah. it could be faster.

and my own. 'rubydium' - http://www.lypanov.net/rubydium7.pdf

> Ruby is cool and I will love when the AspectOrientedRuby proposal
> becomes part of the language.

i've not seen this. never really found any real uses for aop :)
maybe if i had more time to refactor rather than struggling
with ugly code i'd be happier :)

> But it has a lack of good suport.

you mean these above problems or more?

Alex

From: Caio Tiago Oliveira on
Alexander Kellett, 8/2/2005 12:59:
> On Feb 8, 2005, at 4:50 PM, Caio Tiago Oliveira wrote:
> have you tried the mingw32 1.8.2 windows install that eban
> uploaded to raa today? i found cygwin very unstable in the
> past, maybe other versions work much better? if i remember
> correctly there are some bugs in completion on linux also,
> but not as severe as the ones you see. not many people use
> windows here unfortunately so until the windows users help
> out nothing much will change. (the people that do use windows
> are severely time limited and there are very few of them :( )

mingw32? I use the one-click installer the rc14.

> ruvi also supports the rrb refactoring, and i also noticed
> that while it works well on small examples it falls down
> majorly on more complex examples. if you could file bug
> reports with testcases i'm sure that someone out there
> would be willing to fix them :)

I'll try it.

>> Cools projects like yarv and ruby2c yet are in development.
>

> and my own. 'rubydium' - http://www.lypanov.net/rubydium7.pdf

"Ruby, but Fast", sounds good.

>> But it has a lack of good suport.
>

> you mean these above problems or more?

These above and more too.

From: Alexander Kellett on
On Feb 8, 2005, at 7:23 PM, Caio Tiago Oliveira wrote:
> mingw32? I use the one-click installer the rc14.

try the mingw32 download then. look at raa.

>> you mean these above problems or more?
>
> These above and more too.

umm.. ok...

Alex