Next: RGSS
From: Phil Tomson on
In article <87a13e22050208040272c65a2a(a)mail.gmail.com>,
Robert Feldt <robert.feldt(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On the squeak issue: Depends on what you mean with squeak, there are
>> > very many aspects to it. Related to the VM issues I've resurrected my
>> > old writing from my last employer (Thanks Ryan!) and have a few
>> > squeak-related rubyvm material up on this page
>>
>> maybe you'd be interested in:
>> www.lypanov.net/rubydium7.pdf
>>
>I am, but the little time I have for ruby vm/interpreters has gone
>into compilers lately... ;)

Of course, this begs the question:
So how is your Ruby compiler work going?

Phil
From: Robert Feldt on
> >I am, but the little time I have for ruby vm/interpreters has gone
> >into compilers lately... ;)
>
> Of course, this begs the question:
> So how is your Ruby compiler work going?

Still work left to do... 8-)

/R

From: Robert Feldt on
> > I'm especially interested in your use of pyggy though. Does this mean
> > you have a GLR grammar for Ruby lying around? I would like to try that
> > with rockit so if it is available / open-sourced please pass on; that
> > could save time. I have the starts of GLR grammars for Ruby but
> > nothing complete. Maybe we can join forces?
>
> its also just a beginning. just fiddling around with
> parsing of heredocs, #{}, %w{}, etc. really a very tiny
> syntax but it was fun. what sort of parser does rockit
> have? you have a working 1.8.x release now i guess ;)
> will that be released anytime?

Yes, it is also GLR with embedded regexps. It works with 1.8 and a
release is long overdue. I really want to get a full Ruby grammar in
there...

> i seem to recall that
> you went part c part ruby, which means its out for
> use with rubydium unfortunately. as soon as i'm finished
> with the current rubydium optimisations i'll do some more
> work on the glr ruby grammar.

Ok, we could exchange grammar sketches then; pls keep contact when you
move on that front.

> >> btw, i tried contacting you a while back wrt ruth
> >> and was wondering if the spam filters caught the
> >> email? summary - would you like patches?
> >>
> > Sure, although I tend to think that ParseTree would be a more
> > maintained/modern alternative?
>
> ruth does everything i've needed up to now :)
> just a few minor patches to the ast and some random
> stuff like multiassigns aren't supported, but i've
> got plenty more to implement in rubydium before that :)

Ok, please pass them along.

> was going to switch to a pyggy based parsetree
> whenever i find the time, but that'll be several
> months ago at a guess.

I'm not sure I understand "pyggy-based parsetree" but it sounds fun... ;)

/R

From: Alexander Kellett on
On Feb 8, 2005, at 2:07 PM, Robert Feldt wrote:
> Ok, we could exchange grammar sketches then; pls keep contact when you
> move on that front.

shall do so :)

> Ok, please pass them along.

new tarball -
http://www.lypanov.net/ruth.tgz
i'll do a patch sometime :)

> I'm not sure I understand "pyggy-based parsetree" but it sounds fun...
> ;)

like ruby2c's sexp style parsetree subproject.
but then generated by pyggy.

Alex

From: Caio Tiago Oliveira on
Alexander Kellett, 8/2/2005 06:03:
> On Feb 8, 2005, at 4:59 AM, Caio Tiago Oliveira wrote:
>
>> Logan Capaldo, 8/2/2005 00:45:
>>
>>> Lately I've been playing around with Squeak (http://www.squeak.org/),
>>> and I was wondering wouldn't be cool if ruby could have a similiar
>>> environment. Would anyone else be interested in something like this?
>>

>> Yes. But Ruby is yet a lot imature for this.
>> At least we can try to make something like the worksspace (that's cool).
>

> immature? in what sense?
> thats troll talk. you should take the time to rephrase :)

IRB, which is the thing more likely to squeak workspace doesn't work
very well on windows. The IDEs for Ruby I tried are almost only
shortcuts for run the program and syntax colouring. There is a lack of
great features. The Refactoring of Freeride is still in development
(almost anything worked for me) and I couldn't find it in my version of
ArachnoRuby.

Yes, Ruby is very slow.

Cools projects like yarv and ruby2c yet are in development.

Ruby is cool and I will love when the AspectOrientedRuby proposal
becomes part of the language.

But it has a lack of good suport.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4