From: Peter Ceresole on
I have a friend who uses Logitech Squeezebox on an iBook with 10.5.8.

He installed it a while ago, and it just set itself up and worked.

His iTunes library cointains about 40,000 tunes, and he played them
through Squeezebox. Last week, it offered him an upgrade. He applied it.
Now, nothing works.

I had a go at it and got him connected to Internet radio, but it simply
won't talk to his iBook.

Has anybody here had the Squeezebox Experience?
--
Peter
From: zoara on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a friend who uses Logitech Squeezebox on an iBook with 10.5.8.
>
> He installed it a while ago, and it just set itself up and worked.
>
> His iTunes library cointains about 40,000 tunes, and he played them
> through Squeezebox. Last week, it offered him an upgrade. He applied
> it.
> Now, nothing works.
>
> I had a go at it and got him connected to Internet radio, but it
> simply
> won't talk to his iBook.
>
> Has anybody here had the Squeezebox Experience?

I've always found the Squeezebox updates to be less smooth than I'd like
- often the controller goes into a loop, updating, rebooting, and
telling me there's an update (and this is after updating it on the
server itself).

I've found turning off the controller (or, I guess, any Squeezebox with
a UI), restarting the server (it's in System Preferences), then turning
on the controller helps. It might in this case.

Also - and this really annoys me - sometimes the controller loses sight
of the server. I think the WiFi indicator turns blue, meaning "can see
the network, but not the server". This might be because the server is
doing a lot of work - which it does at startup and when scanning the
library. Checking CPU usage should tell you - sqld or Perl will be
hogging the CPU.

Wait a minute... I know what this might be. Does he use any plugins?
Particularly the Last.fm scrobbler plugin? I remember I had to remove
this after the last update as it was throwing several errors a second in
the logs (again, accessible through System Preferences, or Console.app;
it's the Squeezebox server.log).

Fix was checking the web interface
(http://<servername>:9000/settings/index.html) and waiting while it took
*forever* to load. Plugins are on their own tab - uncheck the last.fm
one (and others, if that doesn't work?) and click Apply.

Hope this helps...

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Peter Ceresole on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> Hope this helps...

It might well do, thanks.

Since I left his house, he has called to say that chunks of it are
working again, but he's down from 49,000 tunes to 13,000, but it does
look as though it may be creeping through a reindex.
--
Peter
From: zoara on
Peter Ceresole <peter(a)cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> Hope this helps...
>
> It might well do, thanks.
>
> Since I left his house, he has called to say that chunks of it are
> working again, but he's down from 49,000 tunes to 13,000, but it does
> look as though it may be creeping through a reindex.

Hmmm, maybe. I'm sure when mine reindexes it just isn't available
full-stop.

Reindexing is CPU-intensive, by the way - it'll take an age on an iBook.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm

Pages: 1