From: Jose on
On May 23, 8:25 pm, dclist <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 6:46 pm, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On May 23, 1:38 pm, dclist <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I want to add a TCP/IP printer but I am seem to be missing the
> > > "Standard TCP/IP port" option in the drop-down list when adding
> > > printer via local port. I have no idea why this is missing on this
> > > machine. Is it a driver? How can I restore it?
>
> > Look in the registry on a working machine and the afflicted machine.
>
> > Before making any changes to your registry, back it up with this
> > popular free tool:
>
> >http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> > If you have a working XP machine you can look at it and export this
> > registry key or create one just like it on your afflicted machine:
>
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\
>
> > Add key:  Standard TCP/IP Port:
> > Add String Value; value name=Driver; value data=tcpmon.dll
>
> > Under Standard TCP/IP Port:
> > Add Key: Ports
>
> > Add three Dwords in Ports (I am listing the values data in decimal)
>
> > LprAckTimeout value data= 180
> > StatusUpdateEnabled value data= 1
> > StatusUpdateInterval value data= 10
>
> > Stop and start the Print Spooler Service
>
> > Here is what mine looks like (watch the line wraps):
>
> > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
> > \Standard TCP/IP Port]
> > "Driver"="tcpmon.dll"
>
> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
> > \Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports]
> > "StatusUpdateInterval"=dword:0000000a
> > "StatusUpdateEnabled"=dword:00000001
> > "LprAckTimeout"=dword:000000b4
>
> Thanks but changing the registry to match (I only had to add the lpr
> timeout) does not help. I will see if I can figure out if tcpmon.dll
> is corrupt.

Well, poop.

Here are the c:\windows\system32 files that you need to verify:

tcpmib.dll
tcpmon.dll
tcpmonui.dll
tcpmon.ini

The DLLS are Windows File Protected files, so they should not be
missing - if they are missing something else may be wrong.

If you are suspicious of the DLLs, stop the Print Spooler and delete
the 3 DLL files. WFP should quickly and silently replace them with
good copies (in a few seconds). If that does not happen you have
another problem.

You can copy the tcpmon.ini from a working system - it is not a WFP
protected file.

If you just add the files or make the registry change and don't
restart the Print Spooler (or reboot) you will not see any difference,
so be sure to restart the Print Spooler.
From: dclist on
On May 24, 7:25 am, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 8:25 pm, dclist <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Look in the registry on a working machine and the afflicted machine.
>
> > > Before making any changes to your registry, back it up with this
> > > popular free tool:
>
> > >http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> > > If you have a working XP machine you can look at it and export this
> > > registry key or create one just like it on your afflicted machine:
>
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\
>
> > > Add key:  Standard TCP/IP Port:
> > > Add String Value; value name=Driver; value data=tcpmon.dll
>
> > > Under Standard TCP/IP Port:
> > > Add Key: Ports
>
> > > Add three Dwords in Ports (I am listing the values data in decimal)
>
> > > LprAckTimeout value data= 180
> > > StatusUpdateEnabled value data= 1
> > > StatusUpdateInterval value data= 10
>
> > > Stop and start the Print Spooler Service
>
> > > Here is what mine looks like (watch the line wraps):
>
> > > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
> > > \Standard TCP/IP Port]
> > > "Driver"="tcpmon.dll"
>
> > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
> > > \Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports]
> > > "StatusUpdateInterval"=dword:0000000a
> > > "StatusUpdateEnabled"=dword:00000001
> > > "LprAckTimeout"=dword:000000b4
>
> > Thanks but changing the registry to match (I only had to add the lpr
> > timeout) does not help. I will see if I can figure out if tcpmon.dll
> > is corrupt.
>
> Well, poop.
>
> Here are the c:\windows\system32 files that you need to verify:
>
> tcpmib.dll
> tcpmon.dll
> tcpmonui.dll
> tcpmon.ini
>
> The DLLS are Windows File Protected files, so they should not be
> missing - if they are missing something else may be wrong.
>
> If you are suspicious of the DLLs, stop the Print Spooler and delete
> the 3 DLL files.  WFP should quickly and silently replace them with
> good copies (in a few seconds).  If that does not happen you have
> another problem.
>
> You can copy the tcpmon.ini from a working system - it is not a WFP
> protected file.
>
> If you just add the files or make the registry change and don't
> restart the Print Spooler (or reboot) you will not see any difference,
> so be sure to restart the Print Spooler.

I replaced the aforementioned files using the DLL cache and it seems
to be working correctly now. Thanks!
From: Jose on
On May 25, 7:20 am, dclist <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 24, 7:25 am, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks but changing the registry to match (I only had to add the lpr
> > > timeout) does not help. I will see if I can figure out if tcpmon.dll
> > > is corrupt.
>
> > Well, poop.
>
> > Here are the c:\windows\system32 files that you need to verify:
>
> > tcpmib.dll
> > tcpmon.dll
> > tcpmonui.dll
> > tcpmon.ini
>
> > The DLLS are Windows File Protected files, so they should not be
> > missing - if they are missing something else may be wrong.
>
> > If you are suspicious of the DLLs, stop the Print Spooler and delete
> > the 3 DLL files.  WFP should quickly and silently replace them with
> > good copies (in a few seconds).  If that does not happen you have
> > another problem.
>
> > You can copy the tcpmon.ini from a working system - it is not a WFP
> > protected file.
>
> > If you just add the files or make the registry change and don't
> > restart the Print Spooler (or reboot) you will not see any difference,
> > so be sure to restart the Print Spooler.
>
> I replaced the aforementioned files using the DLL cache and it seems
> to be working correctly now. Thanks!

Duly noted.