From: dclist on
I want to add a TCP/IP printer but I am seem to be missing the
"Standard TCP/IP port" option in the drop-down list when adding
printer via local port. I have no idea why this is missing on this
machine. Is it a driver? How can I restore it?
From: SC Tom on

"dclist" <dclist(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to add a TCP/IP printer but I am seem to be missing the
> "Standard TCP/IP port" option in the drop-down list when adding
> printer via local port. I have no idea why this is missing on this
> machine. Is it a driver? How can I restore it?

Try here first:

Check your BIOS settings to see what it's set to. Without more info, I
can't go much farther than that.
--
SC Tom

From: dclist on
On May 23, 5:01 pm, "SC Tom" <s...(a)tom.net> wrote:
> "dclist" <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I want to add a TCP/IP printer but I am seem to be missing the
> > "Standard TCP/IP port" option in the drop-down list when adding
> > printer via local port. I have no idea why this is missing on this
> > machine. Is it a driver? How can I restore it?
>
> Try here first:
> How to ask a question    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
>
> Check your BIOS settings to see what it's set to.  Without more info, I
> can't go much farther than that.
> --
> SC Tom

What? In what way is my question deficient or unclear? What does this
have to do with the BIOS?
From: Jose on
On May 23, 1:38 pm, dclist <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to add a TCP/IP printer but I am seem to be missing the
> "Standard TCP/IP port" option in the drop-down list when adding
> printer via local port. I have no idea why this is missing on this
> machine. Is it a driver? How can I restore it?

Look in the registry on a working machine and the afflicted machine.

Before making any changes to your registry, back it up with this
popular free tool:

If you have a working XP machine you can look at it and export this
registry key or create one just like it on your afflicted machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\

Add key: Standard TCP/IP Port:
Add String Value; value name=Driver; value data=tcpmon.dll

Under Standard TCP/IP Port:
Add Key: Ports

Add three Dwords in Ports (I am listing the values data in decimal)

LprAckTimeout value data= 180
StatusUpdateEnabled value data= 1
StatusUpdateInterval value data= 10

Stop and start the Print Spooler Service

Here is what mine looks like (watch the line wraps):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
\Standard TCP/IP Port]
"Driver"="tcpmon.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
\Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports]
"StatusUpdateInterval"=dword:0000000a
"StatusUpdateEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LprAckTimeout"=dword:000000b4

From: dclist on
On May 23, 6:46 pm, Jose <jose_e...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 23, 1:38 pm, dclist <dcl...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to add a TCP/IP printer but I am seem to be missing the
> > "Standard TCP/IP port" option in the drop-down list when adding
> > printer via local port. I have no idea why this is missing on this
> > machine. Is it a driver? How can I restore it?
>
> Look in the registry on a working machine and the afflicted machine.
>
> Before making any changes to your registry, back it up with this
> popular free tool:
>
> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
>
> If you have a working XP machine you can look at it and export this
> registry key or create one just like it on your afflicted machine:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\
>
> Add key:  Standard TCP/IP Port:
> Add String Value; value name=Driver; value data=tcpmon.dll
>
> Under Standard TCP/IP Port:
> Add Key: Ports
>
> Add three Dwords in Ports (I am listing the values data in decimal)
>
> LprAckTimeout value data= 180
> StatusUpdateEnabled value data= 1
> StatusUpdateInterval value data= 10
>
> Stop and start the Print Spooler Service
>
> Here is what mine looks like (watch the line wraps):
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
> \Standard TCP/IP Port]
> "Driver"="tcpmon.dll"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\control\print\monitors
> \Standard TCP/IP Port\Ports]
> "StatusUpdateInterval"=dword:0000000a
> "StatusUpdateEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "LprAckTimeout"=dword:000000b4

Thanks but changing the registry to match (I only had to add the lpr
timeout) does not help. I will see if I can figure out if tcpmon.dll
is corrupt.