From: Garberstreet Electronics on

"David Murray" <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Pardon my lack of Commodore knowledge, but isn't the C64
>> backwards compatible with the Vic-20? I would hope that
>> it was. I mean, can't it run Vic-20 programs?
>
> The short answer is "NO." The long answer is that it
> could run a very small portion of programs written on
> the VIC-20 as long as those programs were written entirely
> in BASIC and did not use any features other than writing
> text to the screen. So that probably means less than 1%
> of VIC-20 programs would work on the C64.

Thanks, David.

I guess it's about time to get out my Commodore computers
and start studying them.

Bill Garber of Garberstreet Electronics
http://www.garberstreet.com

From: christianlott1 on
On Nov 3, 9:53 am, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>   I'm still working on
> Planet X1, but I doubt I'll ever polish it to the point I originally
> intended to...  Also it may be possible that the audience on the
> Vic-20 is smaller than on the C64..

If you thought it was such a great concept you'd finish it despite
anyone elses opinion. Sometimes what seemed like a great idea wasnt,
but you decide this - not anyone else. Ideas evolve and change and we
learn new things. Then again, it's good to ask others opinions and
sometimes you get good feedback..

But don't say 'nobody seems to care' because many of us do. I do think
you should port it to the C64 and work on it from there. The only
thing I like about the vic20 is the wicked blocky sounds. But if you
spend another year working on it, post a screenshot and I dont have
time or am not inspired to play it dont get mad. Its your time and
talent, invest it where you want.

There are too many people who think the more they produce the better.
Its vaporware. They want to make a dollar or want attention but they
dont really believe what they are making is important.

And this is a rant about some people and may not apply to you. I just
wanted to say this because there are some.
From: commodorecomputerclub on
On 2 Nov, 22:14, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since nobody seemed to care about the RTS game for the VIC-20 that
> I've been working on, I've been thinking about something on a larger
> scale for the C64 as my next project.   I've spent a great amount of
> time thinking about it and I see no reason why the C64 couldn't
> support a much more complex real-time-strategy similar to StarCraft,
> Warcraft, etc..
>
> However, there are some thorny issues I'd need to tackle.  One of
> those issues is user-interface.  Most such games are played with a
> mouse.  But few people have a mouse on a C64 and not even all of the
> emulators will even support that.   So I've been contemplating exactly
> how I might go about having the user control dozens of units at a time
> without a mouse.
>
> Now, obviously, graphics would be much simpler and I'd probably use
> character based graphics so the motion of the units as they move would
> be a little jerkier since there aren't enough sprites to use for all
> the possible units one might have on the screen.   But otherwise, I
> think the gameplay itself could be just as complex and potentially
> support 200 units or so.

It's who you tell about your games/projects. Don't assume that no one
cares.

If you contact me with some details, screen grabs etc... I may be able
to get your projects mentioned in a PC magazine here in the UK,
available through all good news agents etc... The only thing is that
it has to be an 8-bit game that you are working on, including of
course the Commodore VIC-20.

Regards,

Shaun.
From: Rudolf Harras on
Rudolf Harras schrieb:

>A game really missing on the C64 in my Opinion is a good 4-player
>Bomberman Clone. There was one for DOS called "Boom", the funniest
>Bomberman ever for 3-4 players (well 2 also works).

Now i got it:
You find the game and a screenshot at:
http://www.tin.at/spiele/
(the last game in the list)

Its one oft the best playable bomberman clones! Whished there was one
like that on the C64!
From: commodorejohn on
Well, christianlott1 pretty much summed up what I was going to say,
but just to restate: don't make games because you want attention, and
don't make them for Commodore computers if you want money. If you've
got an idea for a game that you think is good, go ahead and make it
for the love of the project, no matter how few people sound
interested. Besides, interested parties tend to only come out of the
woodwork as you approach completion on a project, not when you're
still in the planning stages.

That said, I do think you'd do better to make your original game on
the C64; it has a wider audience and _much_ more flexible hardware,
and doesn't require expansion to be capable of running almost anything
worthwhile like the VIC-20.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Video from OVGE 2009