From: chad_lee on
On Nov 3, 9:54 am, Rudolf Harras <rudi...(a)temporaryforwarding.com>
wrote:
> saehn schrieb:
>
> I still like to play on the C64 but I wonder how many people still use
> it for gaming. Most of the competitions etc. are for demos, I'd really
> like to have some gaming parties. Altough I think some people still
> might play some challenges from time to time but when I was playing
> Snoopy yesterday I just asked myself if I am the only one in the world
> playing this right now...

I still enjoy playing C64 games. There is something about the
simplicity of some of the older games that I really like. Personally,
I do wish there were more things like gaming parties and more support
a home-brewed game scene.

Back in the old days, some friends and I used to try writing games to
be published in various magazines. We never did, but still, those were
some of the most memorable times in my life. It was fun doing the
work, but the most enjoyable parts were hanging out with friends,
discussing new ideas and having a group of people to show off the
latest progress and get feedback and motivation to keep going.

One thing I have learned: it is much better to start with a very basic
game idea and expand on it during the development than it is to start
with a big idea that will require compromises to implement it.
From: Sam McDavid on
On 2009-11-03 17:11:44 -0600, Rudolf Harras
<rudi007(a)temporaryforwarding.com> said:

> Rudolf Harras schrieb:
>
>> A game really missing on the C64 in my Opinion is a good 4-player
>> Bomberman Clone. There was one for DOS called "Boom", the funniest
>> Bomberman ever for 3-4 players (well 2 also works).
>
> Now i got it:
> You find the game and a screenshot at:
> http://www.tin.at/spiele/
> (the last game in the list)
>
> Its one oft the best playable bomberman clones! Whished there was one
> like that on the C64!

Rudolf, not only was there a Bomberman clone made for the C64, but it's
still available for sale through Protovision today! It's called Bomb
Mania. Check it out: http://bit.ly/7vLyql

From: Sam McDavid on
On 2009-11-03 09:53:06 -0600, David Murray <adric22(a)yahoo.com> said:

>> Well, come on Dave... it wasn't working yet. You could move the tanks
>> around and that was cool, but no enemies = no fun. You know I was
>> interested in it, and I'm sure other people would be once it is closer
>> to being playable. :-)
>
> Oh.. well, I've gotten further than that now.. There are enemies..
> They may not be very smart, but they are there. I'm still working on
> Planet X1, but I doubt I'll ever polish it to the point I originally
> intended to... Also it may be possible that the audience on the
> Vic-20 is smaller than on the C64..

I've just today returned to the Usenet after a multi-year absence, and
it's great to see that the guy who runs my absolute favorite YouTube
channel is active here. I've been watching David torture fire ants and
talk about iBooks for a while now. Cheers from a fan.

I saw your Planet X1 video when you first posted it, and like others I
was looking forward to a C64 release. Also like the others I had
planned on waiting for a finished product before downloading and trying
it out. If the community's apparent lack of interest was in any way
disheartening, I'm sure it wasn't as bad as it might've seemed.

Keep up the good work! I'd like to cast my vote for a C64 version of
Planet X1, officially. And if you'd like my opinion on the interface
for your C64 RTS game, I really think it's best, as has been mentioned
here before, to include support for the 1351. The only games I've known
to include native (non-joystick mode) support for it that I can
remember were Arkanoid II and Faery Tale Adventure. I remember trying
to play the LucasFilm point-and-click games with it, but it wasn't
nearly as usable when trying to emulate a joystick.

My two best arguments for 1351 support:

1. Most emulators support the 1351, and most people will likely play
the game under emulation.

2. Mouse support would serve the game best. RTS games beg for mouse
support. I'm sure you could throw in joystick controls as an
afterthought, but if you were going to make the best possible RTS you
could make, the mouse would unquestionably be the best option.

From: Rudolf Harras on
Sam McDavid schrieb:

>Rudolf, not only was there a Bomberman clone made for the C64, but it's
>still available for sale through Protovision today! It's called Bomb
>Mania. Check it out: http://bit.ly/7vLyql

Oh fine. I took a look on it but the steering is not really very smooth.
:(

I can't help but it has not the same feeling like Book which is also
very simple.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Video from OVGE 2009