From: David Murray on
> but just to restate: don't make games because you want attention, and
> don't make them for Commodore computers if you want money. If you've

Well, I certainly wasn't planning to make any money. After all, it is
an open-source, freeware program. However, I was hoping for more
interest and "attention" as you call it because I want my work to be
enjoyed by others, and better yet, to be improved by others.

> woodwork as you approach completion on a project, not when you're
> still in the planning stages.

I'm definitely way past the planning stages as the game is already
playable. I'm about 90% done. I've posted screenshots here and
downloads before. But, for those who missed them, here are a few:

http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/vic20/game-screen5.png
http://galaxy22.dyndns.org/vic20/game-screen4.png

> That said, I do think you'd do better to make your original game on
> the C64; it has a wider audience and _much_ more flexible hardware,

Well.. When I started the game I figured I'd eventually port it to the
C64. But I knew the VIC-20 would be capable of the game, and since
the platform doesn't have very many complex games available for it, I
figured it would stand out more on that platform. Now, as I've
mentioned before, this game could "easily" be converted to the C64..
Probably less than 10% of the code would need to be changed. The Plus/
4 would also be an easy conversion since there are no sprites used.
Also the C64 version could benefit from the extra screen resolution.

However.. back to the original topic of this thread.. I am seriously
thinking about a Starcraft-like game for the C64 when I'm done with
this project in a week or two. But, what I was mainly looking for
were suggestions on user-interface. I'm still for a design that would
make the game playable without a mouse. But I'm coming up blank as
for good ideas on how to control the units.
From: saehn on
> However.. back to the original topic of this thread.. I am seriously
> thinking about a Starcraft-like game for the C64 when I'm done with
> this project in a week or two.  But, what I was mainly looking for
> were suggestions on user-interface.  I'm still for a design that would
> make the game playable without a mouse.  But I'm coming up blank as
> for good ideas on how to control the units.

Please finish up Planet X1 anyway ;-)

Regarding your SC clone, why not just go with a mouse/joystick option?
People with emulation can use it, and I'll bet that most of those of
us who are CommoDorky enough to have an X-series cable have a 1351
too. If you allow the (better) mouse option along with a joystick
option, then that covers everyone.
From: Leif Bloomquist on
"commodorejohn" <commodorejohn(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> but just to restate: don't make games because you want attention, and
> don't make them for Commodore computers if you want money. If you've
> got an idea for a game that you think is good, go ahead and make it
> for the love of the project, no matter how few people sound
> interested.

I second (third) this sentiment. Do it because it's fun, to learn, and/or
have the satisfaction of implementing it.

I've got an interesting perspective on this, as I think I've created the
only C64 game that "phones home" over the Internet (NetRacer). I had my 15
seconds of fame when it was released, and it was a hit with a few people
(especially kids) at a couple of Commodore Expos. It was downloaded nearly
1,000 times from CSDB.

Yet looking at the server logs, I can see that less than 5 people -
worldwide - have tried the game in the past year (unless there's a
clandestine server instance out there), and nobody's tried it in the past 6
months. So that's a bit of a bummer.

But then I think of what I learned in the process - 6502 assembler,
networking, game design, etc., and the fun we had during testing, and it's
all worth it. Now, the best result is that someone would take the source
and/or ideas and use them in a "real" game. I expect to be pleasantly
surprised some day ;-)

-Leif

--
Leif Bloomquist
leif(at)schemafactor(dot)com

"Music expresses that which cannot be said in words, but must not remain
silent."

From: . on

"Leif Bloomquist" <spam(a)127.0.0.620> wrote in message
> "commodorejohn" <commodorejohn(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> but just to restate: don't make games because you want attention, and
>> don't make them for Commodore computers if you want money. If you've
>> got an idea for a game that you think is good, go ahead and make it
>> for the love of the project, no matter how few people sound
>> interested.
>
> I second (third) this sentiment. Do it because it's fun, to learn, and/or
> have the satisfaction of implementing it.
>
> I've got an interesting perspective on this, as I think I've created the
> only C64 game that "phones home" over the Internet (NetRacer). I had my
> 15 seconds of fame when it was released, and it was a hit with a few
> people (especially kids) at a couple of Commodore Expos. It was
> downloaded nearly 1,000 times from CSDB.
>
> Yet looking at the server logs, I can see that less than 5 people -
> worldwide - have tried the game in the past year (unless there's a
> clandestine server instance out there), and nobody's tried it in the past
> 6 months. So that's a bit of a bummer.
>
> But then I think of what I learned in the process - 6502 assembler,
> networking, game design, etc., and the fun we had during testing, and it's
> all worth it. Now, the best result is that someone would take the source
> and/or ideas and use them in a "real" game. I expect to be pleasantly
> surprised some day ;-)
>
> -Leif
>

> --
> Leif Bloomquist
> leif(at)schemafactor(dot)com
> http://home.ica.net/~leifb/
>
> "Music expresses that which cannot be said in words, but must not remain
> silent."

Are you looking for gratitude?
If so, forget it..every-one expects
something for free, and couldn`t be bothered
giving something in return.

From: Joe Cassara on
On Nov 2, 5:14 pm, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since nobody seemed to care about the RTS game for the VIC-20 that
> I've been working on... *snip*

As I once told that Harry Potter fellow: write software and create
hardware for the Commodore 8-bits if the act will bring you joy.
Don't concern yourself with who will find your creation useful -- or
even use it. If you care about marketing a useable product (free or
for-profit) and gauging market interest, focus your efforts on
something commercially viable, like software for Windows, OS X, or
Linux.

Joe C.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5