From: Arno Wagner on
Previously Brad Isaac <BradIsaac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 9, 1:46 pm, Arno Wagner <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> u think
>> > it's falsely reporting that time or what would you do??
>>
>> SpinRiteis practically useless today. Run a long SMART selftest,
>> it does effectively the same.
>>
>> Arno

> Thanks. So I should stop this test and restart it with the SMART
> selftest?

I definitely think so.

> Also, why do you say useless? Is there something better?

SpinRite claims to use knowledge of the on-disk encoding to
do a better choice. In historic MFM and RLL times it did that
and really was better. Today you have maximum-likelyhood-
partial-response decoders in the disk, that read the analog
signal. These are already at the maximum that is possible
and no external program can improve on the read quality.

So, no, there is no external software. The only thing
you can do it read retries. The disk typically already does
a lot of these. If they are not enough the chance of additional
ones helping is very, very small. A long SMART selftest
just (besides some other tests) tries to read the whole surface.

BTW, if your disk has a problem, running it often will make
the problem more serious. If you consider professional
recovery, power down the drive now.

Arno

From: GMAN on
In article <6dkbrvF2ukidU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>Previously Brad Isaac <BradIsaac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 25, 5:08 pm, Arno Wagner <m...(a)privacy.net> wrote:
>>> Previously mcp6453 <mcp6...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sort of off topic...but not too far. I have had spinrite going on a
>> WD drive for the past week and it reports there is still 4169 hours
>> left. That's almost 6 months!
>
>> I bought the license for a client with the expectation it would take a
>> month or less. But had no idea it would be 6 months. Do you think
>> it's falsely reporting that time or what would you do??
>
>SpinRite is practically useless today. Run a long SMART selftest,
>it does effectively the same.
>
>Arno
Spinrite 6 uses the SMART info from the drive
From: Squeeze on
GMAN wrote in news:g5436q$ua9$1(a)news.xmission.com
> In article <6dkbrvF2ukidU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Arno Wagner <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:
> > Previously Brad Isaac <BradIsaac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sort of off topic...but not too far. I have had spinrite going on a
> > > WD drive for the past week and it reports there is still 4169 hours
> > > left. That's almost 6 months!
> >

> > > I bought the license for a client with the expectation

> > > it would take a month or less.

Just a month. Really. Wow.

> > > But had no idea it would be 6 months. Do you think
> > > it's falsely reporting that time or what would you do??
> >
> > SpinRite is practically useless today. Run a long SMART selftest,
> > it does effectively the same.
> >
> > Arno

> Spinrite 6 uses the SMART info from the drive

To what purpose?