From: Theo Markettos on
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> H'mmm... On my Dell Mini 9 (which shipped with Hardy Heron installed) the
> upgrade to 10.04 messed up badly so I did a clean new install and found
> that the wireless interface was not cleanly autodetected - I had to go
> and hunt around for the right driver package.
>
> Not as user friendly as I'd expected from Canonical.

What driver did you use in the end? I just upgraded my Mini 9 to 10.04 and
have wireless that can see WLANs in the neighbourhood, but can't connect to
any (all have encryption). On 9.04 it connected to WEP fine. On another
machine with an Intel 2200 card Ubuntu 7.10 could do WPA2 as well (in other
words, upgrading 7.10 to 9.04 broke WPA2).

Sigh. Every Ubuntu upgrade breaks something.

Theo
From: Simon Brooke on
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:40:20 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> H'mmm... On my Dell Mini 9 (which shipped with Hardy Heron installed)
>> the upgrade to 10.04 messed up badly so I did a clean new install and
>> found that the wireless interface was not cleanly autodetected - I had
>> to go and hunt around for the right driver package.
>>
>> Not as user friendly as I'd expected from Canonical.
>
> What driver did you use in the end? I just upgraded my Mini 9 to 10.04
> and have wireless that can see WLANs in the neighbourhood, but can't
> connect to any (all have encryption). On 9.04 it connected to WEP fine.
> On another machine with an Intel 2200 card Ubuntu 7.10 could do WPA2 as
> well (in other words, upgrading 7.10 to 9.04 broke WPA2).

I installed the bcmwl-kernel-source and bcmwl-modalias packages. But then
I went to the 'Hardware Drivers' system app, and selected the 'Broadcom
STA proprietary wireless driver'. It works, well, with both encrypted and
unencrypted wireless networks (I have both in the house).

> Sigh. Every Ubuntu upgrade breaks something.

Don't I know it! I've gone back to Debian for my desktop box. Ubuntu is
lovely when it works, but a real pig when it doesn't.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Theo Markettos on
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> I installed the bcmwl-kernel-source and bcmwl-modalias packages. But then
> I went to the 'Hardware Drivers' system app, and selected the 'Broadcom
> STA proprietary wireless driver'. It works, well, with both encrypted and
> unencrypted wireless networks (I have both in the house).

Ah, thanks. I'll give that a try.

> Don't I know it! I've gone back to Debian for my desktop box. Ubuntu is
> lovely when it works, but a real pig when it doesn't.

I've been wondering about Debian 'testing' for a desktop, rather than
Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forced-upgrade cycle is a bit of a pain, as is the need
to either do it every 6 months or go through several generations at a time.
With 'testing' at least the upgrades come in regular small chunks. Or is
'testing' even more of a gory mess?

Theo
From: Simon Brooke on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:36:01 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:

> Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Don't I know it! I've gone back to Debian for my desktop box. Ubuntu is
>> lovely when it works, but a real pig when it doesn't.
>
> I've been wondering about Debian 'testing' for a desktop, rather than
> Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forced-upgrade cycle is a bit of a pain, as is the
> need to either do it every 6 months or go through several generations at
> a time. With 'testing' at least the upgrades come in regular small
> chunks. Or is 'testing' even more of a gory mess?

Wouldn't know, I'm running 'stable'. I can do without bleeding edge on
the machine I do my everyday work on!

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat

From: Richard Kettlewell on
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>> Don't I know it! I've gone back to Debian for my desktop box. Ubuntu
>> is lovely when it works, but a real pig when it doesn't.
>
> I've been wondering about Debian 'testing' for a desktop, rather than
> Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forced-upgrade cycle is a bit of a pain, as is the
> need to either do it every 6 months or go through several generations
> at a time. With 'testing' at least the upgrades come in regular small
> chunks. Or is 'testing' even more of a gory mess?

Personally I think I'd go straight to unstable, and be cautious about
upgrades. A colleague does, or used to do, this and I don't recall
constant complaints about the consequences.

I track unstable in a VM and it's not broken anything horribly, but my
demands of it are modest, so that might not be a good guide to anything.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/