From: Folderol on
On 15 Jul 2010 12:52:55 GMT
Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 13:36:01 +0100, Theo Markettos wrote:
>
> > Simon Brooke <stillyet+nntp(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >> Don't I know it! I've gone back to Debian for my desktop box. Ubuntu is
> >> lovely when it works, but a real pig when it doesn't.
> >
> > I've been wondering about Debian 'testing' for a desktop, rather than
> > Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forced-upgrade cycle is a bit of a pain, as is the
> > need to either do it every 6 months or go through several generations at
> > a time. With 'testing' at least the upgrades come in regular small
> > chunks. Or is 'testing' even more of a gory mess?
>
> Wouldn't know, I'm running 'stable'. I can do without bleeding edge on
> the machine I do my everyday work on!

Testing (squeeze) is very close to becoming the new Stable, so you're
not likely to break anything.

--
Will J G
From: Tony Houghton on
In <87630gevuf.fsf(a)araminta.anjou.terraraq.org.uk>,
Richard Kettlewell <rjk(a)greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>>
>> I've been wondering about Debian 'testing' for a desktop, rather than
>> Ubuntu. The Ubuntu forced-upgrade cycle is a bit of a pain, as is the
>> need to either do it every 6 months or go through several generations
>> at a time. With 'testing' at least the upgrades come in regular small
>> chunks. Or is 'testing' even more of a gory mess?
>
> Personally I think I'd go straight to unstable, and be cautious about
> upgrades. A colleague does, or used to do, this and I don't recall
> constant complaints about the consequences.
>
> I track unstable in a VM and it's not broken anything horribly, but my
> demands of it are modest, so that might not be a good guide to anything.

I prefer Debian's rolling upgrades too and use unstable. I've hardly
ever had any big problems. But the most recent one was that grub2 failed
to upgrade itself properly due to not realising that IDE drives are hd*
instead of sd*, so I had to use an Ubuntu live CD to make the system
bootable again. That is quite major I suppose :-(.

Use apt-get on the command line instead of the graphical front-ends
because it's better at telling you what it's going to do so you can spot
if dist-upgrade is going to remove anything you don't want it to.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk
From: Geoff Clements on
Folderol wrote:

[snip]

> Testing (squeeze) is very close to becoming the new Stable, so you're
> not likely to break anything.

Do you mean /at the moment/ it's "very close to becoming the new Stable"
because there's been a fair bit of breakage up to this point, in fact
there's still some minor breakage - latest one is *spit* flashplayer on
amd64.

--
Geoff
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Tony Houghton
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> But the most recent one was that grub2 failed
> to upgrade itself properly due to not realising that IDE drives are hd*
> instead of sd*, so I had to use an Ubuntu live CD to make the system
> bootable again. That is quite major I suppose :-(.

Snap! I've been using unstable on my desktop and server for about five
years, and the above problem is the biggest one I can remember.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:40:41 up 19 days, 9:09, 6 users, load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.06