From: Gordon on
I have Remix 10.04 on a flash drive and Desktop 10.04 on a CD.
If I start the Live CD on my Tosh Satellite, it tells me that the
Wireless device is "not ready" and I can't connect.
If I run the Remix from the flash drive on the same machine it finds the
Wireless adapter and I can connect.
Aren't the two just the same OS with a different GUI?
If so, why the difference?

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Say No to OOXML http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9594#mpart8
From: Gordon on
On 07/07/2010 10:23, Gordon wrote:
> I have Remix 10.04 on a flash drive and Desktop 10.04 on a CD.
> If I start the Live CD on my Tosh Satellite, it tells me that the
> Wireless device is "not ready" and I can't connect.
> If I run the Remix from the flash drive on the same machine it finds the
> Wireless adapter and I can connect.
> Aren't the two just the same OS with a different GUI?
> If so, why the difference?

Sorry that should be UBUNTU and I posted to the wrong group!

From: Theo Markettos on
Gordon <gordonbparker(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have Remix 10.04 on a flash drive and Desktop 10.04 on a CD.
> If I start the Live CD on my Tosh Satellite, it tells me that the
> Wireless device is "not ready" and I can't connect.
> If I run the Remix from the flash drive on the same machine it finds the
> Wireless adapter and I can connect.
> Aren't the two just the same OS with a different GUI?
> If so, why the difference?

What's the model of wireless card?

They're the same OS, but they quite possibly have different sets of packages
installed. Different installers also have different drivers and different
installer components provided (due to space and to aim to simplify the
interface). I believe the Alternates CD has a more comprehensive installer
with more components present.

It may be that the full set of kernel modules isn't shipped on that
particular image, or there's some licensing reason for not including it.
For example, Broadcom cards aren't supported in the pure open-source verison
because it needs a proprietary driver or firmware. This is not a problem
for an installation, because you just enable installation of proprietary
software and it goes away and downloads the driver. But for a CD that would
mean it wouldn't be possible to freely copy the CD because it then contained
software with restrictive licence terms.

Theo

BTW, which newsgroup did you intend to post this to?
From: Gordon on
On 07/07/2010 13:39, Theo Markettos wrote:

> It may be that the full set of kernel modules isn't shipped on that
> particular image, or there's some licensing reason for not including it.

9.04 and 9.10 both worked OK!

> For example, Broadcom cards aren't supported in the pure open-source verison
> because it needs a proprietary driver or firmware. This is not a problem
> for an installation, because you just enable installation of proprietary
> software and it goes away and downloads the driver. But for a CD that would
> mean it wouldn't be possible to freely copy the CD because it then contained
> software with restrictive licence terms.
>

> BTW, which newsgroup did you intend to post this to?

The Gmane Ubuntu User list..... ;-)

From: Simon Brooke on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:21:58 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> On 07/07/2010 13:39, Theo Markettos wrote:
>
>> It may be that the full set of kernel modules isn't shipped on that
>> particular image, or there's some licensing reason for not including
>> it.
>
> 9.04 and 9.10 both worked OK!

H'mmm... On my Dell Mini 9 (which shipped with Hardy Heron installed) the
upgrade to 10.04 messed up badly so I did a clean new install and found
that the wireless interface was not cleanly autodetected - I had to go
and hunt around for the right driver package.

Not as user friendly as I'd expected from Canonical.

>> For example, Broadcom cards aren't supported in the pure open-source
>> verison because it needs a proprietary driver or firmware.

Yup, that's the one.

--

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundam variat