From: Richard Heathfield on
Scott Lurndal wrote:
<snip>

> if (condition) {
>
> is preferred over
>
> if (condition)
> {

Except, of course, by people who prefer the latter to the former.

<snip>

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
From: Richard Heathfield on
Anand Hariharan wrote:
<snip>

> Haven't seen anyone point this out:
>
> Rather than -
>
> #define MAXNUMFILES 1024
>
> - prefer -
>
> const int MaxNumFiles = 1024;
>

> That way your preprocessor won't do as much damage.

Fine in C99, I think, but an issue in C90 if he's using it to define an
array size.

From: Keith Thompson on
Stephen Sprunk <stephen(a)sprunk.org> writes:
> On 24 Feb 2010 12:35, Poster Matt wrote:
[...]
>> EG:
>> Variables: int numFiles = 0;
>
> This is camelCase.
>
>> Functions: int CountNumFilesInDir(char* path);
>
> This is PascalCase.
>
> Mixing the two in the same project will drive adherents of _both_ styles
> nuts. Pick one and stick to it; that way you'll only drive half of your
> readers nuts.

His convention apparently is to use camelCase for variables and
PascalCase for functions. It's not necessarily a style I'd use, but
it's not obviously horrible (and it's more or less the style I use
at work). As with most of these rules, conforming to existing code
is far more important than any benefits of one style over another.
I really dislike the brace placement of the code I work on, but
mixing my own style into it would be far worse (and wouldn't survive
a code review anyway).

> (There's also this_type_of_identifier; the same logic applies, i.e.
> don't mix that with either of the above. Never, never create some
> God-awful hybrid with both underscores and uppercase letters...)

Again, This_Type_Of_Identifier isn't obviously horrible. (I use it
myself, though not in C.)

[...]

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) kst-u(a)mib.org <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
Nokia
From: Anand Hariharan on
On Feb 24, 4:34 pm, Richard Heathfield <r...(a)see.sig.invalid> wrote:
> Anand Hariharan wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Haven't seen anyone point this out:
>
> > Rather than -
>
> >   #define MAXNUMFILES 1024
>
> > - prefer -
>
> >   const int MaxNumFiles = 1024;
>
> > That way your preprocessor won't do as much damage.
>
> Fine in C99, I think, but an issue in C90 if he's using it to define an
> array size.

Good point (and that's probably why no one mentioned it?). Even in
C99, it is not your good old array but a 'Variable' Length Array.

Does the standard have anything to say about VLAs being automatic
storage or free store, but cleans itself up when they go out of scope?

From: Ben Bacarisse on
Richard Heathfield <rjh(a)see.sig.invalid> writes:

> Anand Hariharan wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Haven't seen anyone point this out:
>>
>> Rather than -
>>
>> #define MAXNUMFILES 1024
>>
>> - prefer -
>>
>> const int MaxNumFiles = 1024;
>>

>> That way your preprocessor won't do as much damage.
>
> Fine in C99, I think, but an issue in C90 if he's using it to define
> an array size.

It's a problem in C99 too, if the array is defined at file scope or it
has internal linkage. There are other reasons why it's not a great
idea in C99. They stem from the fact that MaxNumFiles is not
permitted as part of a constant expression. There are several slight
variations depending on what sort of constant expression is required
but I think the simplest things is to say that using the above will
confuse someone sometime and is therefore not usually considered good
style even in C99.

--
Ben.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last