From: Lorenzo Villari on
On 24 Feb 2010 22:09:43 GMT
scott(a)slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

> if (condition) {
>
> is preferred over
>
> if (condition)
> {
>
> Makes it much more likely that a properly written function will fit
> on a single page/screen.

Hmmm...

if (condition) { <-- one line

if (condition) <-- one line
{ <-- and another one, makes two lines

Does that really make a BIG difference?

> In 30 years of C programming, no employer or project has used the
> latter form.

Really? What's so bad about that? I prefer the latter btw...

From: Ian Collins on
Scott Lurndal wrote:
> James Harris <james.harris.1(a)googlemail.com> writes:
>> On 24 Feb, 20:53, BruceS <bruce...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I would like to add that, as long as you're trying to use good style,
>>> for God's sake don't use the wrong indentation style. =A0If you put your
>>> opening braces on the same line as your conditional, you'll just look
>>> like a fool in front of your friends and colleagues.
>> Snobbish nonsense!
>>

> Indeed.
>
> if (condition) {
>
> is preferred over
>
> if (condition)
> {

By whom?

> Makes it much more likely that a properly written function will fit on a single
> page/screen.

If the extra lines required for an opening brace are an issue, the
function isn't properly written!

> In 30 years of C programming, no employer or project has used the latter form.

I can honestly negate that line.

--
Ian Collins
From: Ike Naar on
In article <Hshhn.9822$8y6.5647(a)news.usenetserver.com>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53(a)pacbell.net> wrote:

> if (condition) {
>
>is preferred over
>
> if (condition)
> {
>
>Makes it much more likely that a properly written function will fit on
>a single page/screen.

And then there are people who write like this:

if (condition) {

do_something();
do_another_thing();
}
From: Rainer Temme on

> And then there are people who write like this:
>
> if (condition) {
>
> do_something();
> do_another_thing();
> }

or like this:
if (condition)
{
do_something();
do_another_thing();
}

or even like this:
if (condition) { do_something(); do_another_thing(); }

.... the world is a cruel place!

From: Richard Bos on
Seebs <usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net> wrote:

> On 2010-02-24, Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> wrote:
> > 5. On a slightly different note, I've been handling my error messages by using
> > #define string constants in a header file. I saw some code which did this and it
> > looked good to me. Is that standard practise, if not what is?
>
> > EG. #define ErrorDirNotFound "The directory was not found."
>
> No. Look into gettext() if you need to do this, or just put them in
> literally.

gettext() is nice if you have it (it's POSIX, isn't it? Not ISO, anyway,
but common), but putting the messages in literally only works if you
don't reuse them. IME, _some_ error messages are used more than once, in
which case a #define is nice.

Richard
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: integer
Next: shared memory question