From: Tim Murray on
s|b wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 01:12:31 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:
>
>> As a Mac user I've been out of the Windows loop for a while. A friend now
>> wants me to stop by and run some antivirus apps as he is positive he is
>> infected. What would you suggest for a set of apps to put on a CD to carry
>> with me?
>
> I've never used it, but maybe you find it useful:
>
> F-Secure Rescue CD
> <http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/rescue-cd/>

Okay, thanks.

From: Tim Murray on
David H. Lipman wrote:

> I wouldn't suggest a CD. It is Read-Only media.
>
> Use a Flash Drive. It can hold the anount of a DVD or more and it is
> Random-Ream/Random-Write so you can update/replace utilities at-will.

Yeah, but I was concerned about a flash drive being infected, too.

From: Wolf K on
On 08/07/2010 22:40, Tim Murray wrote:
> David H. Lipman wrote:
>>
>> I wouldn't suggest a CD. It is Read-Only media.
>>
>> Use a Flash Drive. It can hold the anount of a DVD or more and it is
>> Random-Ream/Random-Write so you can update/replace utilities at-will.
>>

> Yeah, but I was concerned about a flash drive being infected, too.

Scan it (and your system). Tthen format it. USB flash drives are FAT32.

wolf k.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Tim Murray" <no-spam(a)thankyou.com>

| David H. Lipman wrote:

>> I wouldn't suggest a CD. It is Read-Only media.

>> Use a Flash Drive. It can hold the anount of a DVD or more and it is
>> Random-Ream/Random-Write so you can update/replace utilities at-will.

| Yeah, but I was concerned about a flash drive being infected, too.

There are flash drives with a switch that makes them Read-Only.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
Whoever <whoever(a)wherever.invalid> wrote:

> FWIW - here are my suggestions:

Funny, those all programs I carry on my own disks. To those I'll add Avast,
SpySweeper (an early version that is not detected by most malware), Hijack
This, and PrcView.exe, which is also not detected by most malware.