From: Tim Murray on
As a Mac user I've been out of the Windows loop for a while. A friend now
wants me to stop by and run some antivirus apps as he is positive he is
infected. What would you suggest for a set of apps to put on a CD to carry
with me?

From: Whoever on
Tim Murray <no-spam(a)thankyou.com> wrote in

> As a Mac user I've been out of the Windows loop for a while. A friend
> now wants me to stop by and run some antivirus apps as he is positive
> he is infected. What would you suggest for a set of apps to put on a
> CD to carry with me?

FWIW - here are my suggestions:

MalwareBytes AntiMalware
http://malwarebytes.org/
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=3436 (for current
database)

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html (for current database)

GMER Antirootkit
http://www.gmer.net/
(and I recommend you get the MBR.exe rootkit detector while you're there)

AntiVir
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip (for current
database)

Here are some other programs you may find useful as well:

Autoruns & Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx

LSPFix
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

IF they are running Windows XP, this may come in real handy to restore
the .exe filetype association -
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/xp_exe_fix.reg

It's also helpful to carry a disk you can use to boot their system and
access their file system from. Something like:

Bart's PE
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

--
Don't bother trying to
contact me via email.
From: Tim Murray on
Whoever wrote:

> FWIW - here are my suggestions:

Thanks much.

From: s|b on
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 01:12:31 -0400, Tim Murray wrote:

> As a Mac user I've been out of the Windows loop for a while. A friend now
> wants me to stop by and run some antivirus apps as he is positive he is
> infected. What would you suggest for a set of apps to put on a CD to carry
> with me?

I've never used it, but maybe you find it useful:

F-Secure Rescue CD
<http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/rescue-cd/>

--
s|b
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Tim Murray" <no-spam(a)thankyou.com>

| Whoever wrote:

>> FWIW - here are my suggestions:

| Thanks much.

I wouldn't suggest a CD. It is Read-Only media.

Use a Flash Drive. It can hold the anount of a DVD or more and it is
Random-Ream/Random-Write so you can update/replace utilities at-will.

--
Dave