From: Han on
pyotr filipivich <phamp(a)mindspring.com> wrote in

> Let the Record show that Zaidy036 <Zaidy036NOSPAM(a)optonline.net> on or
> about Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:27:50 -0400 did write/type or cause to
> appear in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows the following:
>>In article <ch0oq5ps1bc2uo9quemeslh5pg8jri8bcc(a)4ax.com>,
>>teskor(a)tbaytel.net says...
>>>
>>> First of all thanks to John H Meyer's for his help. I've finally
>>> removed Eudora 5.2 and clean installed version 7. No problems all
>>> is working well, files intact.
>>> Question now is about syncing files across 2 networked computers.
>>> Have Microsoft Sync Toy.
>>> Any hints/pitfalls I should be aware of.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Tom
>>
>>I do this by using the exact same Eudora Version and the same path to
>>the Eudora data folder on both my Win 7 64 bit desktop and my Win XP
>>laptop.
>>
>>Then you may copy the entire Eudora data folder from one PC to the
>>other to keep them synced. I use the D/T at home and the L/T for
>>travel and do the copy before to the L/T before leaving home and then
>>back to the D/T after return.
>
> I have just discovered RoboCopy.exe (available as part of the
> Windows Developer Kit). It lets you do massive copies "easily" - and
> because it is such a flexible and powerful program, it can really
> screw things up. Way cool.
> Anyway, one option is to Mirror the source files and directories
> on the destination - meaning as well, that files not on the source,
> are deleted off the destination. Not good for all backups - but it
> will make your two systems the same - even if you did not want it that
> way B-) (Like UNIX, it is user friendly - it is also picky about with
> whom it is friendly" But it includes a written manual (a DOC file) so
> you can try and work out how to do what you want to do.)
> Other options allow you to exclude file or directories, copy only
> files newer in the source than the destination, copy over the
> attributes, plus cool options, copy over the files which are not on
> the destination (I used to use xcopy, but click "no" forty eleben
> zillion times because I don't want to overwrite _all_ of the files was
> "sub optimal".)

You can also use the freeware Karen's Replicator to copy files back and
forth between networked computers. However there is a big PROBLEM
involved.

I could use computer A to get and send some emails, then forget to copy
things back and forth before going off somewhere. After coming back I
use computer B to get and send emails, then sync the copies on A and B.
This would discard the work done on A into the void.

IMNSHO a better approach is to always leave a copy of the email that you
download on the server so it can get downloaded on the other machine(s).
Sort of analogously, bcc: yourself a copy of anything sent, so you can
get it anywhere.

OBVIOUSLY, after making sure somehow that both machines have a copy of
all those emails, you will need to delete the emails from the servers.
You could set a time delay for this, let's say a week.

Lastly, you could set up a gmail account that gets all emails received
and sent. That would be your "cloud" depository of all emails.

--
Best regards
Han
From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> on or about 27 Mar
2010 01:28:11 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows the following:
>pyotr filipivich <phamp(a)mindspring.com> wrote in
>
>> Let the Record show that Zaidy036 <Zaidy036NOSPAM(a)optonline.net> on or
>> about Fri, 26 Mar 2010 11:27:50 -0400 did write/type or cause to
>> appear in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows the following:
>>>In article <ch0oq5ps1bc2uo9quemeslh5pg8jri8bcc(a)4ax.com>,
>>>teskor(a)tbaytel.net says...

>>>I do this by using the exact same Eudora Version and the same path to
>>>the Eudora data folder on both my Win 7 64 bit desktop and my Win XP
>>>laptop.
>>>
>>>Then you may copy the entire Eudora data folder from one PC to the
>>>other to keep them synced. I use the D/T at home and the L/T for
>>>travel and do the copy before to the L/T before leaving home and then
>>>back to the D/T after return.
>>
>> I have just discovered RoboCopy.exe (available as part of the
>> Windows Developer Kit). It lets you do massive copies "easily" - and
>> because it is such a flexible and powerful program, it can really
>> screw things up. Way cool.
>> Anyway, one option is to Mirror the source files and directories
>> on the destination - meaning as well, that files not on the source,
>> are deleted off the destination. Not good for all backups - but it
>> will make your two systems the same - even if you did not want it that
>> way B-) (Like UNIX, it is user friendly - it is also picky about with
>> whom it is friendly" But it includes a written manual (a DOC file) so
>> you can try and work out how to do what you want to do.)
>> Other options allow you to exclude file or directories, copy only
>> files newer in the source than the destination, copy over the
>> attributes, plus cool options, copy over the files which are not on
>> the destination (I used to use xcopy, but click "no" forty eleben
>> zillion times because I don't want to overwrite _all_ of the files was
>> "sub optimal".)
>
>You can also use the freeware Karen's Replicator to copy files back and
>forth between networked computers. However there is a big PROBLEM
>involved.
>
>I could use computer A to get and send some emails, then forget to copy
>things back and forth before going off somewhere. After coming back I
>use computer B to get and send emails, then sync the copies on A and B.
>This would discard the work done on A into the void.

I just hate it when that happens B-)

The important thing is that you don't make that mistake - which
may require a 'nag' reminder to sync the computers _before_ doing
anything else. I hate programs which nag, even when I was the guy who
wrote them.

>IMNSHO a better approach is to always leave a copy of the email that you
>download on the server so it can get downloaded on the other machine(s).
>Sort of analogously, bcc: yourself a copy of anything sent, so you can
>get it anywhere.
>
>OBVIOUSLY, after making sure somehow that both machines have a copy of
>all those emails, you will need to delete the emails from the servers.
>You could set a time delay for this, let's say a week.
>
>Lastly, you could set up a gmail account that gets all emails received
>and sent. That would be your "cloud" depository of all emails.

That would work too. Might actually be "simpler" than what I
proposed. I've found Robocopy to be a fun program to play with, which
is why I recommended it. OTOH, I do know of a CompSci systems
analysis class project that concluded "the simplest solution is to not
get a computer, but a three ring binder ..." (Which is not what they
told the instructor.)
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
From: Han on
Just to take a shortcut to the whole discussion of synching, or syncing, I
have a laptop at home and a desktop at work. Home-related email certainly
gets saved on the home machine and work stuff at work. That's why I have
Eudora set to leave a copy on the server for everything. It's nice that an
icon in Eudora shows that there is a copy on the server for "those" emails.
I just have to remember to delete the copy off the server when I am sure
that it isn't needed anymore. To help with that I use Mailwasher, which
shows what is on the servers, to remind me to either download it into
Eudora or delete it. Mailwasher also shows in only ascii, funny html
interpretations or downloads. That makes it much easier to identify
malware or unwanted email before it really gets into your machine.

Mailwasher pro is payware at http://www.firetrust.com. There is much more
to mailwasher, but don't use the bounce feature - it will only verify your
email address to the malware originator, and generate more bounce messages.

--
Best regards
Han
From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> on or about 28 Mar
2010 00:50:55 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows the following:
>Just to take a shortcut to the whole discussion of synching, or syncing, I
>have a laptop at home and a desktop at work. Home-related email certainly
>gets saved on the home machine and work stuff at work. That's why I have
>Eudora set to leave a copy on the server for everything. It's nice that an
>icon in Eudora shows that there is a copy on the server for "those" emails.
>I just have to remember to delete the copy off the server when I am sure
>that it isn't needed anymore. To help with that I use Mailwasher, which
>shows what is on the servers, to remind me to either download it into
>Eudora or delete it. Mailwasher also shows in only ascii, funny html
>interpretations or downloads. That makes it much easier to identify
>malware or unwanted email before it really gets into your machine.
>
>Mailwasher pro is payware at http://www.firetrust.com. There is much more
>to mailwasher, but don't use the bounce feature - it will only verify your
>email address to the malware originator, and generate more bounce messages.

Mailwasher, good stuff.

-
From: Hansson on
On 28 Mar 2010 00:50:55 GMT, Han <nobody(a)nospam.not> wrote:

> I just have to remember to delete the copy off the server when I am sure
> that it isn't needed anymore.

You can use the option:
Delete from server after x days, that's easyer :-)