From: J. Clarke on
On 7/6/2010 8:46 PM, John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 20:39:12 -0400, in
> <4c33cd03$0$5495$8f2e0ebb(a)news.shared-secrets.com>, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "John Navas"<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:03:45 -0700, in
>>> <4c33b646$0$22091$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS

>>> The self-discharge rate of Lithium-ion is actually much higher than
>>> that, on the order of 8% per month at 21 degrees C*, but par for the
>>> course with you.
>>
>> John, I concede.
>> I strongly suspect you are an expert in self discharge.
>> From your postings I have seen you do it frequently.
>> <G>
>
> Bucking for a spot in the killfile?
> A steady stream of ad hominem is the best way to get there.

You threatening to put someone in your killfile is like Kate Beckinsale
threatening to give somebody a BJ.

From: SMS on
On 06/07/10 5:39 PM, Peter wrote:
> "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:03:45 -0700, in
>> <4c33b646$0$22091$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
>> <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>>> Li-Ion and Li-Po packs are only a little worse than eneloops in terms of
>>> self-discharge. I.e. in 100 days, the eneloop cells will be around 90%
>>> and the Li-Ion will be at around 80%. ANiMH would be at around 10%.
>>
>> The self-discharge rate of Lithium-ion is actually much higher than
>> that, on the order of 8% per month at 21 degrees C*, but par for the
>> course with you.
>>

> John, I concede.
> I strongly suspect you are an expert in self discharge.
> From your postings I have seen you do it frequently.
> <G>

LOL. Funny, but he's wrong as usual. The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion
cell is around 4% a month. In a laptop battery pack there is additional
circuitry that consumes another 3% or so a month, but a Li-Ion camera
battery pack (not the newer smart batteries with a CPU) consumes very
little extra power from the internal protection circuitry. The thermal
diode is not using any power when the battery is out of the camera.
From: Peter on
"SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
> On 06/07/10 5:39 PM, Peter wrote:
>> "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:03:45 -0700, in
>>> <4c33b646$0$22091$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS

>>> The self-discharge rate of Lithium-ion is actually much higher than
>>> that, on the order of 8% per month at 21 degrees C*, but par for the
>>> course with you.
>>>

>> John, I concede.
>> I strongly suspect you are an expert in self discharge.
>> From your postings I have seen you do it frequently.
>> <G>
>
> LOL. Funny, but he's wrong as usual. The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion
> cell is around 4% a month. In a laptop battery pack there is additional
> circuitry that consumes another 3% or so a month, but a Li-Ion camera
> battery pack (not the newer smart batteries with a CPU) consumes very
> little extra power from the internal protection circuitry. The thermal
> diode is not using any power when the battery is out of the camera.

whoosh

--
Peter

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 20:09:31 -0700, in
<4c33efe1$0$22140$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>On 06/07/10 5:39 PM, Peter wrote:
>> "John Navas" <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message

>>> The self-discharge rate of Lithium-ion is actually much higher than
>>> that, on the order of 8% per month at 21 degrees C*, but par for the
>>> course with you.

>LOL. Funny, but he's wrong as usual. The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion
>cell is around 4% a month. In a laptop battery pack there is additional
>circuitry that consumes another 3% or so a month, but a Li-Ion camera
>battery pack (not the newer smart batteries with a CPU) consumes very
>little extra power from the internal protection circuitry. The thermal
>diode is not using any power when the battery is out of the camera.

Nope. Wrong again. Additional authoritative source:

<http://www.batterypoweronline.com/images/PDFs_articles_whitepaper_appros/Micro_Power_Cell_Selection_b.pdf>

Li-Ion cells self-discharge at a rate of 10 % per month,
and Lithium-polymer cells self-discharge at a similar rate.

--
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
From: ransley on
On Jul 5, 7:25 pm, Joel Connor <myem...(a)myserver.com> wrote:
> There's a new type of 1.25v AA battery on the market, using a Lithium
> Polymer configuration (not unlike the flat-pack in my MP3 player, but at a
> different voltage) marketed by a company name of Hahnel.
>
> A quick cursory search for reviews and discussions seem favorable. With
> good low-temperature performance down to 23° F (-5° C), fast charging
> times, etc.
>
> Anyone here ever use them and care to comment?
>
> Comments from the resident role-playing "x-spurts" that don't even own
> cameras are not welcome. Don't worry, we already know who you are.

Sanyo and panasonic are top commercial grade batteries, even Duracell
and Everedy I trust since there is alot of cheap junk made. Sanyos
newer Eneloops are proven , their second generation is out. 1.25v
means nothing since 1.2v is not charged voltage of any Nicad or Nimh,
charged voltage is about 1.36v. Try a pair, try a pair of the new
Eneloops that you will know are quality and report back, my money is
on Sanyo. My Eneloops are 07 and still fine