From: SMS on
On 08/07/10 2:20 PM, Dave Cohen wrote:

> When the eneloop first came out, I did read they had been licensed to
> others. As for asserting/defending patents, that's how lawyers make a
> living (and a very good living at that).

I use a lot of eneloops around the house, remote controls, Bluetooth
mice, and my kids A570 Canon cameras. Great product.

OTOH, I still greatly prefer Li-Ion batteries. The self-discharge is
about the same, around 3% for non-micro-controller equipped packs, and a
little more for smart batteries, which compares favorable with eneloops,
but Li-Ion batteries have some desirable characteristics that NiMH
batteries can't touch, especially much more accurate battery gauging. A
Li-Ion pack will always have a built in temperature sensor and the
capacity can be calculated by measuring the voltage (declines linearly
with remaining capacity), temperature, and by knowing the discharge
rate. If you really want to get fancy you can do things like the iPhone
does with the xxxx controller, including counting coulombs, as the smart
batteries do.

From: John Navas on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 14:58:51 -0700, in
<4c364a15$0$22149$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, SMS
<scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote:

>OTOH, I still greatly prefer Li-Ion batteries. The self-discharge is
>about the same, around 3% for non-micro-controller equipped packs, and a
>little more for smart batteries, which compares favorable with eneloops,
>but Li-Ion batteries have some desirable characteristics that NiMH
>batteries can't touch, especially much more accurate battery gauging. A
>Li-Ion pack will always have a built in temperature sensor and the
>capacity can be calculated by measuring the voltage (declines linearly
>with remaining capacity), temperature, and by knowing the discharge
>rate. If you really want to get fancy you can do things like the iPhone
>does with the xxxx controller, including counting coulombs, as the smart
>batteries do.

Attention students -- note how SMS is trying to quietly, hoping nobody
will notice, change his story on measuring remaining Li-ion capacity as
a result of my pointing out the basic nonsense he had posted in the
first place, a classic example of Baloney Maximus.

--
John

"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." -Mark Twain
"A little learning is a dangerous thing." -Alexander Pope
"Being ignorant is not so much a shame,
as being unwilling to learn." -Benjamin Franklin
From: TomTom on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 17:20:23 -0400, Dave Cohen <user(a)example.net> wrote:

>On 7/7/2010 12:52 PM, SMS wrote:
>> On 07/07/10 9:38 AM, Dave Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> You are missing an important observation made earlier my Mr. Connor. The
>>> cells are superior to eneloops since they are 1.25v as opposed to the
>>> measly 1.25v of eneloops.
>>
>> LOL.
>>
>>> Sanyo didn't need rocket scientists to claim a unique process, just a
>>> patent (which I assume the have).
>>
>> Getting a patent is easy. Defending it is the hard part.
>>
>> The cause of self-discharge in Ni-Cad and NiMH batteries has been well
>> known since they were first invented--the plates swell and press against
>> the separator. You can reduce the swelling by depositing less active
>> material on the plates, but this reduces capacity. The goal in NiMH
>> batteries was always higher capacity. Sanyo made a decision to reduce
>> the capacity and decrease the self-discharge. I wonder if anyone is
>> actually paying them royalties or licensing fees for this.
>>
>>> While I'm posting, will someone tell me how I can determine who owns or
>>> doesn't own a camera in this group.
>>
>> A P&S or a D-SLR?
>
>I won't question your comments on how these things are made since I
>don't know. However, using the same capacity rating (around 2100 mah),
>eneloops clearly outperform the normal NiMH of same capacity for shelf
>life, so I assume they are doing something different. I normally shoot
>very infrequently and I've left cells in the camera for over a year.
>When I first got the eneloops I ran them down in a Canon A95 over a
>three week period and got an amazing 600+ shots (very little flash, very
>little lcd use). After that I got 300+ within a year, after that I
>didn't keep track (after that the A95 went belly up and I'm back to my
>old A40).

The charger used makes a very big difference.

My very first NiMH batts and charger (the charger bought for pennies, it
was thrown in as a freebie on 12 generic NiMHs for $12, battery brand-name
"TelePower") fast-charges then after full charge switches to a
trickle-charge to top off the batteries, to circumvent the internal
resistance that causes their self-discharge. The batteries can be left in
the charger indefinitely without discharging with near-to-no harm to the
batteries.

This nearly free charger charges all my NiMH batteries wonderfully. It also
has a full discharge mode to freshen old NiCd batteries. This appears to be
the very first charger that Maha used to sell for about $25-35 that I
basically got for free. Now there's a Maha rip-off if I ever saw one. Their
appearance and functions are identical. It also has a 12v adapter cord for
it. I also use it with my compact folding solar-panels on extended
photo-treks.

Compare to all chargers I've gotten bundled with NiMH battery sets since
then, not ONE of the newer chargers (and there's about 10 from all manner
of main mfg's., Energizer, Rayovac, Sony, DuraCell, etc. in a junk-box now)
tops off any batteries properly. Not even their own batteries.

Surprisingly those 12 generic "TelePower" NiMHs from over 11 years ago
still keep going and going and going as well. I so wish now I had bought
about 10 sets of them. Plus each purchase would have given me an extra free
charger THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

From: MothboyHunter on
In article <p4sc36loqs36jnan7ml9hinhd8hok0k68i(a)4ax.com>,
TomTom <ttom697921(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> ---------------------------------

I guess we should be thankful this is only your third nym shift in this
thread.

and it is nice to see a new one "TomTom" added to the mix. Some of those
others were getting over used.
--
Just another P&S troll hunter.
From: Outing Trolls is FUN! on
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 18:42:37 -0700, MothboyHunter
<mothboyhunter(a)mothboyhunter.org> wrote:

>In article <p4sc36loqs36jnan7ml9hinhd8hok0k68i(a)4ax.com>,
> TomTom <ttom697921(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>I guess we should be thankful this is only your third nym shift in this
>thread.
>
>and it is nice to see a new one "TomTom" added to the mix. Some of those
>others were getting over used.

What? No information about cameras, camera gear, nor photography from you?

AGAIN?

AMAZING!

NOT

LOL!