From: dfrog on
Hi Wes,

Thanks again.
Unfortunately I have 'lots' of files that WFP cannot deal with in the same
way, nmasnt.dll was just an example (happened to be the first one in the
queue)
I think that my fallback plan of wiping the drive and cloning my original
smaller drive onto this one (which is what I did quite some time ago) is
looking as though it should be 'forefront' plan rather than 'fallback' plan.
I still have my original problem of System Restore GUI not showing (on this
same drive) which Bert Kinney & Robear Dyer did their best on but we
couldn't fix that either.
I'm very grateful for your time and effort (now maybe I am like
'gratefulfrog' :-) )

Best regards

dfrog

From: Wesley Vogel on
Howdy dfrog,

Keep this in mind as an alternative. I do not use System Restore, I use
ERUNT.

Get both of these...

NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

ERUNT
<quote>
Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
old and new registry keys.
<quote>
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/erunt.txt

NTREGOPT
<quote>
Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
system can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
and optimize registry access.

The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
modified or deleted keys.

Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
(as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
minimum size possible.
<quote>
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/ntregopt.txt

Installing & Using ERUNT
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

Take a complete registry backup using ERUNT
http://www.winxptutor.com/regback.htm

<quote>
Question: Should I disable Windows XP�s System Restore function when using
ERUNT?

Answer: Yes! Though System Restore backs up more than just the registry, the
registry is essentially all you need to revert your system to a previous
state. Advantages of ERUNT over System Restore are that each restore folder
is standalone and independent of the others, minimizing the risk of restore
failures, and that a restore can easily be done from outside Windows. Also,
ERUNT backups usually take up less hard drive space than System Restore's
restore points and may be individually deleted at any time. (Here is an
excellent site about System Restore in case you prefer to leave it enabled.)
<quote>
ERUNT and NTREGOPT FAQ
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm

This is the excellent site about System Restore, mentioned above.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

But you're already familiar with Bert Kinney. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:53jtvkF1sgoinU1(a)mid.individual.net,

From: dfrog on
Wes,

What can I say?
I gave you a message saying "thanks for your help but I think I'm gonna give
in on this one", and you come back with more help and advice.
I have seen and read about ERUNT and NTREGOPT before, but was reluctant to
'mess about' in this area just in case the two weren't what they were made
out to be. And I suppose if I think about it, I was waiting for someone I
trusted to give me the good word.
Now I consider that you have just done that.
I'm not going to dive into this tonight (head is spinning and not only from
PC 'delights') and it may take me some short time to get to using these, but
believe me I will.
Thanks again for everything

From: Wesley Vogel on
dfrog, sometimes I just can't shut up, as it were. ;-) Keep having fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:53me7mF1t3smvU1(a)mid.individual.net,