From: dfrog on
Compaq Presario

Win XP Home - SP2 - all critical updates.

I am unable to find the implications of the following and would appreciate
some help:-

Having run sfc /scannow,

System Event Viewer gives me this >>>>>>>>

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64020
Date: 11/02/2007
Time: 20:46:56
User: N/A
Computer: ************
Windows File Protection scan found that the system file c:\program
files\netmeeting\nmasnt.dll has a bad signature. This file was restored to
the original version to maintain system stability. The file version of the
system file is 5.1.2600.2180.

Followed immediately by this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64004
Date: 11/02/2007
Time: 20:46:56
User: N/A
Computer: ************
The protected system file c:\program files\netmeeting\nmasnt.dll could not
be restored to its original, valid version. The file version of the bad file
is 5.1.2600.2180 The specific error code is 0x00000490 [Element not
found.].

and similar results for many other files.

A system scan shows nmasnt.dll in both C:\Program Files\Netmeeting &
C:\Windows\ Service Pack Files\i386

I find this on Microsoft site >>

"If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable,
use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the contents of
the Dllcache directory." which makes me (novice) think, that if I run 'sfc
/scannow' it will repair the contents of Dllcache directory.

I've already had much help from Bert Kinney & Robear Dyer regarding a
System Restore issue which we were unable to nail down, but which did take
me through their comprehensive 'cleansing proceedure'

dfrog

From: Mark L. Ferguson on
The Restore probably took you back to before the last Service Pack install.
Do that service pack again.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

From: Andrew E. on
How would one ever think system restore could possibly fix that problem,the
corrupted .dll still exists......Simply install xp cd,exit the menu,go to
my computer,
open the cdrom with xp cd,search,type in the .dll When it shows in
results,L.click
on it,in the sub-menu select "copy" Copy it to C: hd/windows You may need to
search windows before this to locate where the corrupted .dll file exist,but
usually simply moving it to windows,xp knows were it goes.

From: dfrog on
Mark,

Thanks for your reply.
It looks as though I've given you insufficient info :-(
The System Restore issue was that System Restore did not work, and still
doesn't (could not get S/R gui to show so that I could use it), and so I
wasn't able to "System Restore" to anywhere, with the danger of taking me
back too far.
dfrog

"Mark L. Ferguson" <MarkLFerguson(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C29191F2-E474-4B05-BA35-88EB91E62EDE(a)microsoft.com...

From: dfrog on
Andrew,
Thanks for your reply.
I'm sorry but it seems I've given unclear info.
The System Restore issue was a seperate issue to this one (although there
may be some connections)
That problem was that System Restore GUI would not show, therefore
preventing me from doing S/R, so the issue then was not to try to correct
this SFC result, rather to get S/R working again.
I do not have an XP disk, the PC is a Compaq Presario with a recovery
partition, so presumably the 'erant' file replacements will be in there
somewhere, or, if the relevent files are there, will the ones in
C:\Windows\Service Pack Files be 'sound and useable'?
I do have the option of wiping this drive and cloning my original (smaller
but clean) drive onto it, but I am keen to learn from this and keen to fix
it if I can.
Hope I did a better job this time:-)
dfrog