From: Henry on
I'm running a 3GHZ Dell with 2G RAM and WINXP Pro SP2 and a Seagate
500GB external Hard Drive.

I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
of information in it. It has a grayed out Read Only box under
properties. I've turned off System Restore for this drive, I've of
course tried delete, and I've reformatted this drive twice. I can not
get rid of the folder. Again, it's on my external hard drive, drive
(K:\), it's *not* the one on my C:\ drive which I know enough to leave
alone.

Does any one know how I can get rid of this folder please?

Thanks,

Henry
From: Sjouke Burry on
Henry wrote:
> I'm running a 3GHZ Dell with 2G RAM and WINXP Pro SP2 and a Seagate
> 500GB external Hard Drive.
>
> I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
> folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
> doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
> of information in it. It has a grayed out Read Only box under
> properties. I've turned off System Restore for this drive, I've of
> course tried delete, and I've reformatted this drive twice. I can not
> get rid of the folder. Again, it's on my external hard drive, drive
> (K:\), it's *not* the one on my C:\ drive which I know enough to leave
> alone.
>
> Does any one know how I can get rid of this folder please?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Henry
Yes, they are hidden xp system directory's and you cant get rid of them.
Even if you could, you should not.
From: Henry on
Sjouke Burry wrote:

> Henry wrote:
>
>> I'm running a 3GHZ Dell with 2G RAM and WINXP Pro SP2 and a Seagate
>> 500GB external Hard Drive.
>>
>> I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
>> folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
>> doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
>> of information in it. It has a grayed out Read Only box under
>> properties. I've turned off System Restore for this drive, I've of
>> course tried delete, and I've reformatted this drive twice. I can not
>> get rid of the folder. Again, it's on my external hard drive, drive
>> (K:\), it's *not* the one on my C:\ drive which I know enough to leave
>> alone.
>>
>> Does any one know how I can get rid of this folder please?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Henry
>
> Yes, they are hidden xp system directory's and you cant get rid of them.
> Even if you could, you should not.
As I said in my original email, this is *not* the one on my C:\ drive
but one that I accidentally put on my external hard drive. It's not
needed there.

Henry
From: Grinder on
On 8/3/2010 8:43 PM, Henry wrote:
> Sjouke Burry wrote:
>
>> Henry wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running a 3GHZ Dell with 2G RAM and WINXP Pro SP2 and a Seagate
>>> 500GB external Hard Drive.
>>>
>>> I won't bother your or embarrass me by stating I that I now have a
>>> folder on my Seagate drive entitled "System Volume Information" which
>>> doesn't belong there. It has zero folders, zero files and zero bits
>>> of information in it. It has a grayed out Read Only box under
>>> properties. I've turned off System Restore for this drive, I've of
>>> course tried delete, and I've reformatted this drive twice. I can not
>>> get rid of the folder. Again, it's on my external hard drive, drive
>>> (K:\), it's *not* the one on my C:\ drive which I know enough to
>>> leave alone.
>>>
>>> Does any one know how I can get rid of this folder please?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Henry
>>
>> Yes, they are hidden xp system directory's and you cant get rid of them.
>> Even if you could, you should not.
> As I said in my original email, this is *not* the one on my C:\ drive
> but one that I accidentally put on my external hard drive. It's not
> needed there.

How did you accidentally put it on your external drive? Do you remember
specifically doing something, or did you just notice it one day?

It is a part of the NTFS file system, and contains System Restore
points, and maybe some other junk. Stop picking at it.
From: Henry on
Grinder wrote:
> On 8/3/2010 8:43 PM, Henry wrote:
>
>> Sjouke Burry wrote:

>>> Yes, they are hidden xp system directory's and you cant get rid of them.
>>> Even if you could, you should not.
>>
>> As I said in my original email, this is *not* the one on my C:\ drive
>> but one that I accidentally put on my external hard drive. It's not
>> needed there.
>

> How did you accidentally put it on your external drive? Do you remember
> specifically doing something, or did you just notice it one day?
>
> It is a part of the NTFS file system, and contains System Restore
> points, and maybe some other junk. Stop picking at it.

I made the mistake of using a program that transfered my whole C:\
drive to the Seagate external drive. So the System Volume Information
folder that is on the external drive is my System Volume Information
folder from my C:\ drive. Since I turned off System Restore for the
Seagate, the folder has zero information in it. I know it was a dumb
mistake. The file wasn't on there until I made the stupid mistake. My
wife's Seagate external drive does *not* have that file on it, so the
drive didn't make the file on it's own. Since I've been trying to get
rid of it I now also have a folder called RECYCLER on the drive and I
can't get rid of that either.