From: Steve Giannoni on
Thanks for responding. It never worked before.

Can't follow your response discussion ...

From: GlowingBlueMist on
On 6/8/2010 12:44 PM, Steve Giannoni wrote:
> P-IV running Windows XP Home. Windows appears to be shutting down as
> the screen goes dark, but the "turn off" has to be done manually. Any
> help will be greatly appreciated& thanks ...

Like others have mentioned the problem could be hardware or software at
this stage.

I have had external USB devices, which had their own external power
source, feed 5 volts back into the computer's USB port and causing
similar shutdown problems. One was a cheap manufacturer who left out a
protective blocking diode and another had a jumper that was to have been
removed when using an external power supply.

As for the software possibilities, I would boot a copy of one of the
Live Linux distributions in order rule out that kind of problem. If the
Linux OS boots properly and powers down the PC correctly then the
problem has most definitely been identified as a software issue with
your present installation.

Live Linux software can downloaded at http://www.livecdlist.com/ You
would need to burn it to a CD or DVD before using it.

If your motherboard supports booting from USB you can use the freeware
program UNetbootin and have it transfer a Live Linux distribution to a
Flash drive. It is great for test booting a system when you suspect the
CD/DVD drive may be defective, provided the motherboard supports booting
from a USB port. The program will download the Linux distribution for
you or it can use a Linux ISO you have already downloaded to load and
make your Flash drive bootable.

You can find the UNetbootin at: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and
it is Freeware.

For this I usually use Puppy Linux as it is a rather small download
while still retaining the necessary software to recognize most systems.
It has a graphic desktop that it boots into rather than just the
command line that many other distributions might present. No need to
know Linux commands to boot or shut it down.

Last, I have seen a motherboard battery starting to fail that caused
random hidden changes on the motherboard setup. As a last resort I'd
try replacing your motherboards battery and reconfigure the BIOS
settings, especially if the battery is 4 or 5 years old.
From: Steve Giannoni on
Thanks for responding. How do I "boot a copy of one of the Live Linux
distributions"? Which item do I download? I am a novice at stuff at
this level, etc. ...

From: Paul on
Steve Giannoni wrote:
> Thanks for responding. It never worked before.
>
> Can't follow your response discussion ...

Check Device Manager. Look at the "Computer" entry.
Does it say "ACPI Multiprocessor" or "ACPI Uniprocessor" ?
Those support all the power control features.

I suspect your problem is hardware related.

If you didn't have working soft power control in the OS,
then you would have seen a Win98 style "it is now safe to
turn off your computer" screen image by now. Since
you're seeing a black screen, the OS thinks it has
turned off the power. And in that case, there is a
hardware problem with respect to the interpretation
of the PS_ON# signal on the main power cable.

There is a purported picture of the WinXP shutdown
screen here. This is what you'd see, if the OS knew
it could not turn off the power, and was relying
on the user to do it manually. When you see the
image in this picture, it means caches have been
flushed to disk, and removal of power won't corrupt
any file systems.

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/DisplayComments.php?file=Computer/Windows/Shutdown_through_remote_desktop.

Paul
From: Steve Giannoni on
Device manager says Uniprocessor. I am a novice at this level and
can't follow your comments ...