From: Mike Fox on
I know the good vs the bad for TIFF vs JEPG, but I don't know it for
DVDs.

I'm going to be scanning archival quality images of 35 mm slides that
in TIFF will come to 133 MB files. In JEPG, they'll be a lot less.
I'll be burning the files to a 4.7 GB DVD when I get enough to fill
one.

My question; Will I have significant quality loss to scan them as
JEPGs and burn them to a DVD as JEPGs as an archive? In dirivative
use of the images, I'd resample them to TIFFs and edit and save them
as TIFFs.

Thanks\\Mike
From: Rosemary on
My understanding is that once you have lost the quality in going to
JPEG you don't get it back.

You can also back them up to a usb/firewire drive...I wouldn't save
them as JPEGs though.

From: Raphael Bustin on
On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 23:54:27 GMT, Mike Fox <guyisfoxy(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I know the good vs the bad for TIFF vs JEPG, but I don't know it for
>DVDs.
>
>I'm going to be scanning archival quality images of 35 mm slides that
>in TIFF will come to 133 MB files. In JEPG, they'll be a lot less.
>I'll be burning the files to a 4.7 GB DVD when I get enough to fill
>one.
>
>My question; Will I have significant quality loss to scan them as
>JEPGs and burn them to a DVD as JEPGs as an archive? In dirivative
>use of the images, I'd resample them to TIFFs and edit and save them
>as TIFFs.

First off, I assume you'd be talking about the highest-quality
ie., minimal-compression JPG settings. These will give you
file sizes about 60% smaller than the equivalent 24 bit per
pixel TIFFs.

Yes, JPG is lossy, but on a high-res scan, I defy anyone to
actually see the difference between a 24-bit TIFF and its
equivalent high-quality/low-compression JPG.

So here's what I do... I scan images as TIFFs, and when
the time comes to archive them to DVD, I keep the JPG
equivalent on my hard drive. So my DVDs have the TIF
originals, and my hard drive has equivalent JPGs. If it's
a critical application (rare) I may dig up the TIF from the
archives, but in most cases the JPG will do just fine.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
From: Mike Fox on
So--at highest quality JEPG, even the one and only save to DVD will
loose quality, though it will be imperceptable. At 133 MB TIFFs,
this equates to 35 images to a DVD vs 60 images for JPEG. I'm going
to be scanning thousands of 35mm slides for a family history archive.
With a little luck, the DVD will last 20 years and be transcribed to
the next generation of media. It's my hope the images will travel
100s of years of progress in imaging technology as they are passed
through future generations. Skimping now makes no sense.

For now, however, 133 MB files are a bit cumbersome. I'll need to
resample them down to a usable size. Any suggestions on batch
processing bunches of images to downsize them for today's
applications?

Thanks

Mike

From: Raphael Bustin on
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:35:16 GMT, Mike Fox <mikefox(a)Junoo.com> wrote:

>So--at highest quality JEPG, even the one and only save to DVD will
>loose quality, though it will be imperceptable. At 133 MB TIFFs,
>this equates to 35 images to a DVD vs 60 images for JPEG. I'm going
>to be scanning thousands of 35mm slides for a family history archive.
>With a little luck, the DVD will last 20 years and be transcribed to
>the next generation of media. It's my hope the images will travel
>100s of years of progress in imaging technology as they are passed
>through future generations. Skimping now makes no sense.
>
>For now, however, 133 MB files are a bit cumbersome. I'll need to
>resample them down to a usable size. Any suggestions on batch
>processing bunches of images to downsize them for today's
>applications?

Lots of programs can do that. I use a freebie called XnView.

Personally, I'd convert a file to high-quality JPG rather than
downsample it, but that's just me.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

 |  Next  |  Last