From: Scott W on
Don wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:15:11 -0400, Raphael Bustin <foo(a)bar.com>
> wrote:
>
> >When you say things like this:
> >
> > "At 100% magnification (i.e. 1:1) even a JPG image at lowest
> > compression (i.e. highest quality) stands out like a sore thumb
> > when compared to the original."
> >
> >without qualification, that is misinformation, plain and simple.
>
> No, it's a simple fact. Explained thoroughly in subsequent messages
> where I tried being conciliatory by not responding to your unwarranted
> abuse. Unfortunately, your reply to that calm, factual response was
> more unwarranted abuse.
>
> You were in the middle of a slug fest with our Mr. Noons so I may have
> just caught some shrapnel the first time around (which is why I tried
> being conciliatory and tried to calm things down) but the second batch
> of abuses shows that initial outburst was not an accident.
>
> >I've offered several counter-examples to make my point.
> >You've offered nothing of substance to defend yours.
>
> No, you did not. You offered highly processed images with no way of
> confirming their veracity which all together made them meaningless in
> this context.
>
> I explicitly specified parameters required for an objective test and
> you violated virtually all of them in your "examples". Climbing all
> the way back to those parameters now - and risking more abuse in the
> process - at this point seems like an exercise in futility.
>
> The facts are all out there so let the reader decide for themselves. A
> careful reader will arrive at meaningful conclusions, a careless
> readers will spew nonsense. We've already seen examples of both.

And you have offer exactly what in the way of samples? How hard is
this for you, show us a crop from a scan of yours that suffers visibly
from being saved as a jpeg. Just how hard is that, after all you did
say

"At 100% magnification (i.e. 1:1) even a JPG image at lowest
compression (i.e. highest quality) stands out like a sore thumb when
compared to the original."

So I did the test, here is my crop, one side was save as a jpeg the
other is the original tiff.
http://www.sewcon.com/tiff_vs_jpeg/compare.tif 2.8 MB

Note not all browsers will view a 16 bit tiff and so this might have to
be downloaded and viewed in something like Photoshop.

This is an overview of the full image
http://www.sewcon.com/tiff_vs_jpeg/overview.jpg

And for those just for grins this is the full image as a fairly highly
compressed jpeg
http://www.sewcon.com/tiff_vs_jpeg/overview.jpg 13.5 MB

Now you statement was that the jpeg would stand out like a sore thumb,
it is clear to anyone who looks at the images that this in wrong. Not
only does it not stand out like a sore thumb but I doubt there is
anyone who can tell the difference even when zooming in on the image.

Scott

From: rafe b on

"Don" <phoney.email(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> No, you did not. You offered highly processed images with no way of
> confirming their veracity which all together made them meaningless in
> this context.

Highly processed? Only for Noons' benefit, because
it seemed he wanted "upsampled" versions (in his words:
"Now, crop the JPEG and increase its size...")

I started with images straight off the scanner. They
can't be any more raw than that, Don.

In fact, the images I linked to weren't created for you,
they've been up on my "snippets" website for many
months, specifically as a counterexample for those
who make the same erroneous claims that you do.

Again, you've contributed nothing but words to this
thread. How about some examples to illustrate your
points? Oh, right. You can't, of course, because
your points are bogus.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
scan snippets [now includes Epson V700]
www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis

From: Scott W on
Don wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2006 14:34:56 +0200, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
> <ole-hjalmar.kristensen(a)substitute_employer_here.com> wrote:
>
> >If you know where to look you will definitely see JPEG artifacts at a
> >100% zoom.
>
> Exactly.
>
> >Just look at sharply defined diagonal lines, and it's easy
> >to see the JPEG compression at work.
>
> That's one example. Another one is areas with lots of high contrast
> detail where the 8x8 pixel JPG squares are as plain as can be.

So post a tiff of your image that has this high contrast, just how hard
is that?

Scott

From: rafe b on

>clearly visible JPG artifacts at 100% are a
> self-evident, axiomatic fact.

In your universe, maybe. Not in mine.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

From: Bruce on
Don,

Yes, everyone agrees that with high compression JPG artifacts can be
objectionable. But the point is that at low compression the quality can
be so good that any data loss is imperceptible even after zooming in.
Your answer when shown examples of this is to repeatedly accuse them of
lying (you question the "veracity" of the examples) and then to attack
them for taking offense to your accusations.

The fact is that if you need to save a photographic image to a limited
file size you will always get a better quality image from a JPG than a
TIF. For example, to fit 100 large images on a CD, with quality JPGs
you could use higher DPI (a very perceptible difference) than you could
with TIFs.

And Don, anyone watching sees the pattern where you provoke attacks and
then feign innocence. In this case, if you don't like the data they
show, maybe you should try and reproduce their results before publicly
announcing (on theoretical grounds) not only that they are wrong, but
that they also must be purposely lying.

Don wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2006 14:34:56 +0200, Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen
> <ole-hjalmar.kristensen(a)substitute_employer_here.com> wrote:
>
>> If you know where to look you will definitely see JPEG artifacts at a
>> 100% zoom.
>
> Exactly.
>
>> Just look at sharply defined diagonal lines, and it's easy
>> to see the JPEG compression at work.
>
> That's one example. Another one is areas with lots of high contrast
> detail where the 8x8 pixel JPG squares are as plain as can be.
>
>> But I agree, I will not matter at
>> all for the content of the image.
>> I file everything as maximum quality JPEG.
>
> Both of those are statements of subjective opinion (i.e. a reflection
> of how much one values image content). I never talk about that because
> that not only depends on the context but each person has their own
> individual requirements. I only talk about objective facts and, as you
> yourself confirm, clearly visible JPG artifacts at 100% are a
> self-evident, axiomatic fact.
>
> Don.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: canon F914900
Next: Canon FB 630 U - Driver