From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Thanks. I thought that had been delayed to the C 0x spec. Since we don't have C99
compilers from Microsoft, I never noticed.
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Stuart Redmann on
On 16 Jun., Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> Any good programmer could be successfully accused of having obsessive-compulsive disorder
> (OCD).  A friend of mine, one of the very best programmers I know, related once that he
> was taking medication to help his OCD, and I pointed out that was what made him one of the
> best of the best.  He said "Yes, but it was spilling into everyday life".  Like you, I am
> not overly compulsive in most other areas of my life; I don't wash my hands 100 times a
> day, or sort my sock drawer by spectral color, or things like that; my office is a total
> shambles.  But I really do apply tidiness guidelines to my code.  And in that, I am
> definitely obsessive.

Except when it comes to top-posting ;-) (sorry, could not resist)

Thanks for putting a name to something that I always felt, but could
never express in words. I guess this OCD streak may be the reason why
I studied computer science instead of physics (I mean how should one
get things done when your material sometimes behaves like a wave and
sometimes like a particle?) Computer science offers fewer surprises
than physics (with regard to new phenomenons) but in return you'll
certainly get the feeling that everything is neat and proper (which is
what people suffering from OCD probably need).

Regards,
Stuart
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The arguments about top-posting vs. bottom-posting vs. anything else are all silly. My
reply appears where my reply appears. I refuse to deal with profound silliness. I only
obsess over technical issues that *matter*.

One variant of OCD is characterized by meticulous attention to detail.

There is a silly psychological test that tries to tell you about your personality type. It
contains silly questions like "Do you care about the big picture or little details?" and
of course the answer is "yes". In fact, I was halfway through it when I started laughing.
EVERY either-or question was answerable by "yes". As a programmer, I *have* to care about
the little details. But as a software architect and designer, I *have* to care about the
"big picture". Every question I'd hit had that property. It was clear that the questions
had never been designed with a programmer in mind...
joe

From: David Webber on

"Stuart Redmann" <DerTopper(a)web.de> wrote in message
> On 16 Jun., Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> ... I guess this OCD streak may be the reason why
> I studied computer science instead of physics (I mean how should one
> get things done when your material sometimes behaves like a wave and
> sometimes like a particle?)

Being precise and tidy is a good route to understanding how things work in
physics as well as programming.

Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a function
characterised as a wave. Nothing inconsistent about that. The less
precise version: "It's a wave AND a particle" is just untidy and being
untidy leads to a lack of understanding, but may be good for making the
uninitiated go "wow!". Pedantry (if not OCD) helps in physics too, though
it may not impress television audiences.

Dave
Sometime elementary particle theorist.

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 17/06/2010 16:22, David Webber wrote:

> Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
> probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a
> function characterised as a wave.

> Dave
> Sometime elementary particle theorist.

Cool!