From: David Webber on

"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
> On 17/06/2010 16:22, David Webber wrote:
>
>> Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
>> probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a
>> function characterised as a wave.
>
>> Dave
>> Sometime elementary particle theorist.
>
> Cool!
>
> That is "rocket science"!
> (Computer Science is easier :)

The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science you
know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today it
is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(

Dave
--
David Webber
Mozart Music Software

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
My S.O. has a degree in "Library Science" (and is a professor in the department). I have
been at parties where people talk about "Library Science", and I use the line "any field
that has to label itself a science probably isn't" at which point they challenge me,
"What's your degree in?" to which I reply "Computer Science")

Characterization of languages:

C - gives you all the power you need, including the ability to shoot yourself in the foot

Assembler - lets you shoot the disk in the foot, after which your manager shoots you

C++ - The problem is that between foot objects, foot pointers, and foot references, you
can't figure out whether you have shot yourself in the foot or virtually shot your virtual
foot

FORTRAN - Lets you shoot one toe in each DO-loop iteration

Pascal - The type system prevents you from confusing guns with feet. Unfortunately, it
prevents you from doing anything else useful.

Java - Write once, shoot in foot everywhere

C# - Your feet are automatically garbage collected when they have enough holes in them

Visual Basic - Impossible to shoot yourself in the foot, or do much else interesting, but
you get a Really Cool User Interface

Ada - The DoD marches in a squad of soldiers, they put you up against the wall, and *they*
shoot you in the foot

APL - You hear a loud noise, you look down and you see a hole in your foot, but you can't
remember enough linear algebra to figure out what happened

joe
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:50:51 +0100, "David Webber" <dave(a)musical-dot-demon-dot-co.uk>
wrote:

>"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 17/06/2010 16:22, David Webber wrote:
>>
>>> Wave/particle duality is a case in point. Precisely speaking: the
>>> probability amplitude for finding a particle at a given point is a
>>> function characterised as a wave.
>>
>>> Dave
>>> Sometime elementary particle theorist.
>>
>> Cool!
>>
>> That is "rocket science"!
>> (Computer Science is easier :)
>
>The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science you
>know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today it
>is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Giovanni Dicanio on
Joe: You should put this post in your web site!

Giovanni

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
On 17/06/2010 17:50, David Webber wrote:

> The thing about rocket science is that it isn't really rocket science
> you know :-) CMFCToolBar - now *that's* rocket science! At least today
> it is, and the rocket is pointing at my feet :-(

If you can figure out Schrodinger's equation and quantum mechanics you
can figure out MFC classes of course :)

Giovanni

From: Goran on
On Jun 17, 9:20 pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> My S.O. has a degree in "Library Science" (and is a professor in the department).  I have
> been at parties where people talk about "Library Science", and I use the line "any field
> that has to label itself a science probably isn't" at which point they challenge me,
> "What's your degree in?" to which I reply "Computer Science")
>
> Characterization of languages:
>
> C - gives you all the power you need, including the ability to shoot yourself in the foot
>
> Assembler - lets you shoot the disk in the foot, after which your manager shoots you
>
> C++ - The problem is that between foot objects, foot pointers, and foot references, you
> can't figure out whether you have shot yourself in the foot or virtually shot your virtual
> foot
>
> FORTRAN - Lets you shoot one toe in each DO-loop iteration
>
> Pascal - The type system prevents you from confusing guns with feet.  Unfortunately, it
> prevents you from doing anything else useful.
>
> Java - Write once, shoot in foot everywhere
>
> C# - Your feet are automatically garbage collected when they have enough holes in them
>
> Visual Basic - Impossible to shoot yourself in the foot, or do much else interesting, but
> you get a Really Cool User Interface
>
> Ada - The DoD marches in a squad of soldiers, they put you up against the wall, and *they*
> shoot you in the foot
>
> APL - You hear a loud noise, you look down and you see a hole in your foot, but you can't
> remember enough linear algebra to figure out what happened

Hey, I love this!

Kinda unfair to Pascal, though. I've worked with a couple of several
implementations (Borland's and "free") aimed at real world and they
all had decent straitjacket-liberation mechanisms. I've honestly come
to consider such Pascal a better C. But never though that "object"
Pascal, albeit nice, was better than C++.

Kinda too fair to VB - you actually get really _bad_ UI, more often
than not.

Java and C# - right on the money. Ada - most hilarious.

;-)

Goran.