From: UCLAN on
- Bobb - wrote:

> I have a lot of older stuff that has only coax, RCA and most of the current
> "small TVs" only have HDMI for example or 1 HDMI and one USB. I have basic
> cable ( coax) and no real desire to get a $130 per month cable plan / no
> real room for a 42 inch wall mounted .... I just want " a TV" hopefully that
> fits into same space. I agree that proportions mean that at best I will have
> same width and less height ( why I bought what I have just prior to 'all
> widescreens".) and why I haven't yet bought a new TV - it's a downgrade for
> me.

Two points to consider.

1) Today's flat screen LCD sets generally have a much narrower bezel than the
analog 4:3 CRT TVs did. I have a cabinet in my den that has a 26" wide area
for a TV. The biggest analog 4:3 CRT I could find that would fit was a 24"
diagonal Sony WEGA. Total set width was just a hair under 26". I replaced
it a couple of years ago with a 26" diagonal Sony Bravia LCD, which also
measured a hair under 26" wide. I have a 3.5" wider picture (22.7 versus
19.2") in the same cabinet.

2) Even with NO cable box (incoming cable plugged directly into the TV), you
will get many "ClearQAM" digital channels, most in HD. Yes, you CAN have
HDTV with basic cable with NO added cost. Perfectly legal. Google "Clear
QAM."
From: - Bobb - on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message
>> Wow - thanks for all the info Jeff.
>>
>> I have been going to Best Buy, and others and did NOT find that:
>> "All of the TV sets today come with RCA jacks for video and audio,
>> S-Video
>> and HDMI. They also have Component Video, which is a video supply that is
>> better than RCA but not as good as HDMI. "
<< snipped>>
>> Also without cable, I saw DTV antennas with only coax and if newer TV's
>> don't support it ... how to get reception without cable ??
>> I'll keep looking
>> Thanks for feedback
>>

> I've never seen a TV set that does not have a coax connector.
--------------------
Here's an example of what I'm finding:
Samsung - 26" Class / 720p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+26%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9770706.p?id=1218170912003&skuId=9770706

See no coax listed
a.. Internet Connectable No
a.. PC Inputs 1
a.. USB Port Yes
a.. Media Card Slot No
a.. HDMI Inputs 2
a.. DVI Inputs 0
a.. Component Video Inputs 0
a.. Composite Inputs 0

MOST list only HDMI and /or USB. I thought Ok - maybe it's assumed and they
all have it.
I went onsite and turned a few around - no coax.

Others DID have coax ( RF) jack like
SKU: 9559881
Inputs
Include 2 composite (1 rear, 1 side), 1 S-video, 2 HDMI (1 rear, 1 side), 1
component video (rear), 1 PC (rear), 1 PC audio (rear) and RF (rear).

I'm thinking that I'd like:

RF, USB /SD slot, RCA composites and probably HDMI ( for future DVD /DVR
use)
I saw BestBuy SKU: 9791632 online, but customer reviews show several people
with multiple issues. Of course the bad reviews always get posted and people
without a problem don't think to provide feedback.

--------------------
> I've not seen a flat panel that does not have at least RCA,
> and most have HDMI, S-Video, and Component along with the coax. Coax is
> the primary means of bringing TV to most homes in
> America, so a TV without coax is counter intuitive. I would not say that
> there is no such thing, but as long as broadcasting is delivered by cable,
> TVs will have a coax connector on the back or a huge percentage of the
> market place will be excluded from buying the set that lacks coax. If
> you're finding a set without coax, you should look to see if it also lacks
> a tuner. All TV tuners available today are digital, so they don't need the
> converter box, you simply plug your digital antenna lead into the back.
> All TV sets don't have a tuner though, and these would not have a coax
> connector because they can't do anything with the information that's
> delivered in that format.

That's what I found on some of them - after getting there to look at them.
That how my confusion started. I would say that a " TV" without a tuner is
NOT a TV - it's a monitor.But they advertise them as HDTV's (since most
people have cable boxes with HDMI ?? ). Semantics I know but for someone
that just wants a TV it's been aggravating

On some Toshiba's I see I could use a HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable to go from a
DVI PC to the TV as output device and thinking that will work OK
Thanks again ... I'll keep shopping.

From: - Bobb - on
I think I might have found a good candidate:
Samsung UN22C4000
I had dismissed it previously because when I checked, online info showed
30.5 wide. I did another search for .. my variables and it came up again and
this time I noticed - it's a 22" diagonal screen - it can't be 30.5 " wide
as listed at ... compUSA, TigerDirect, Best Buy etc. Went to Samsung -
listed incorretly there too, and I'm sure the source for bad retailer's
info, but in owners manual at Samsung it shows as 21.5 wide - makes more
sense. Bingo - fits in the spot I have.
And it has most of what I'm looking for, so willl check it out tomorrow.
Thanks folks. I'll let you know how it goes.

From: UCLAN on
- Bobb - wrote:

> I think I might have found a good candidate:
> Samsung UN22C4000
> I had dismissed it previously because when I checked, online info showed
> 30.5 wide. I did another search for .. my variables and it came up again and
> this time I noticed - it's a 22" diagonal screen - it can't be 30.5 " wide
> as listed at ... compUSA, TigerDirect, Best Buy etc. Went to Samsung -
> listed incorretly there too,

Sigh...

On the SPECIFICATIONS page for this product at the Samsung site, it clearly
states:

Product Dimensions (WxHxD) - 21.5" x 16.2� x 7.5"
(with stand)

Product Dimensions (WxHxD) - 21.5" x 14.1� x 1.2"
(without stand)

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/UN22C4000PDXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec
From: - Bobb - on

"UCLAN" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>- Bobb - wrote:
>
>> I think I might have found a good candidate:
>> Samsung UN22C4000
>> I had dismissed it previously because when I checked, online info showed
>> 30.5 wide. I did another search for .. my variables and it came up again
>> and this time I noticed - it's a 22" diagonal screen - it can't be 30.5 "
>> wide as listed at ... compUSA, TigerDirect, Best Buy etc. Went to
>> Samsung - listed incorretly there too,
>
> Sigh...
>
> On the SPECIFICATIONS page for this product at the Samsung site, it
> clearly
> states:
>
> Product Dimensions (WxHxD) - 21.5" x 16.2� x 7.5"
> (with stand)
>
> Product Dimensions (WxHxD) - 21.5" x 14.1� x 1.2"
> (without stand)
>
> http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/UN22C4000PDXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec

True - that's where I saw it. But look at the picture as you open that link
The TV dimensions are written above and beside the TV : 30.5 wide , and
that's what all retailers listed as the size online , like
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5713617&CatId=3816
Target , Best Buy, others same thing etc
Anyways I'll check it out tonight
Thanks