From: UCLAN on
- Bobb - wrote:

>>On the SPECIFICATIONS page for this product at the Samsung site, it
>>clearly
>>states:
>>
>>Product Dimensions (WxHxD) - 21.5" x 16.2� x 7.5"
>>(with stand)
>>
>>Product Dimensions (WxHxD) - 21.5" x 14.1� x 1.2"
>>(without stand)
>>
>>http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/televisions/led-tv/UN22C4000PDXZA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=spec
>
> True - that's where I saw it. But look at the picture as you open that link
> The TV dimensions are written above and beside the TV : 30.5 wide , and
> that's what all retailers listed as the size online , like
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5713617&CatId=3816
> Target , Best Buy, others same thing etc

If your thinking of a 22" set, consider the Sony 22BX300. Excellent TV.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666076677#features
From: - Bobb - on

"UCLAN" <invalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>- Bobb - wrote: <snipped> If you're thinking of a 22" set, consider the
>Sony 22BX300. Excellent TV.
>
> http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666076677#features

Thanks I'll check it out when I return. I DID stop at Target and Best Buy.
As I expected, Target was a waste of my time. ( I wonder how it stays open)
TV's for sale, but no help - no info on the tag other than the size,price.
ONE I could turn enough to see what connections existed on the back but all
of the others the "security loop" was so tight I couldn't pivot them at all.
At Best Buy I saw that the 26" Samsung and LG LED TV's would fit. Both had
similar connections.
LG had 2,000,000 to 1 ratio , Samsung 3m to 1. both about $500.
I'll do some homework to compare reviews / prices.
I then looked at DVR / VCR combo's . ( I wanted to see what the connections
would be on new DVR/VCR to see what I'd need on the new TV.) There were 6 of
them and other than size and price , no info on the tags. I DID open one box
and for a Panasonic, the tuner was analog only, I asked sales help. they
knew nothing about them. Last guy said "We have NO info. Sorry, but no one
ever buys them". I wonder why ?

From: Jeff Strickland on

"- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb(a)noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> Wow - thanks for all the info Jeff.
>>>
>>> I have been going to Best Buy, and others and did NOT find that:
>>> "All of the TV sets today come with RCA jacks for video and audio,
>>> S-Video
>>> and HDMI. They also have Component Video, which is a video supply that
>>> is
>>> better than RCA but not as good as HDMI. "
> << snipped>>
>>> Also without cable, I saw DTV antennas with only coax and if newer TV's
>>> don't support it ... how to get reception without cable ??
>>> I'll keep looking
>>> Thanks for feedback
>>>

>> I've never seen a TV set that does not have a coax connector.
> --------------------
> Here's an example of what I'm finding:
> Samsung - 26" Class / 720p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV
> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+26%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9770706.p?id=1218170912003&skuId=9770706
>
> See no coax listed

Spin the photo to look at the back and zoom to 200%, the coax connection is
to the left of the block where all of the other connections are.

> a.. Internet Connectable No
> a.. PC Inputs 1
> a.. USB Port Yes
> a.. Media Card Slot No
> a.. HDMI Inputs 2
> a.. DVI Inputs 0
> a.. Component Video Inputs 0
> a.. Composite Inputs 0
>
> MOST list only HDMI and /or USB. I thought Ok - maybe it's assumed and
> they all have it.
> I went onsite and turned a few around - no coax.
>
> Others DID have coax ( RF) jack like
> SKU: 9559881
> Inputs
> Include 2 composite (1 rear, 1 side), 1 S-video, 2 HDMI (1 rear, 1 side),
> 1 component video (rear), 1 PC (rear), 1 PC audio (rear) and RF (rear).
>
> I'm thinking that I'd like:
>
> RF, USB /SD slot, RCA composites and probably HDMI ( for future DVD /DVR
> use)
> I saw BestBuy SKU: 9791632 online, but customer reviews show several
> people with multiple issues. Of course the bad reviews always get posted
> and people without a problem don't think to provide feedback.

I'd like to invite you to get out of the house for a few hours and go put
your fingers on some TV sets and get the whole touchy feely experience that
you can't get from shopping online. You said you were price conscious, but
you list features taht are pretty high end while I'm trying to say that the
cheaper units will have your basic needs

You can't possibly buy a TV set without touching it. Once you touch the one
you want, go home and shop online, or take your Blackberry with you and go
online in the food court.

AND, you gave me a link to a 720p, 60Hz set that is cheap but not nearly as
good oof a viewing experience as a 1080p, or 1080i, that clocks at 120Hz or
240 Hz. The link you gave does not begin to have the features you want.

> --------------------
>> I've not seen a flat panel that does not have at least RCA,
>> and most have HDMI, S-Video, and Component along with the coax. Coax is
>> the primary means of bringing TV to most homes in
>> America, so a TV without coax is counter intuitive. I would not say that
>> there is no such thing, but as long as broadcasting is delivered by
>> cable, TVs will have a coax connector on the back or a huge percentage of
>> the market place will be excluded from buying the set that lacks coax. If
>> you're finding a set without coax, you should look to see if it also
>> lacks a tuner. All TV tuners available today are digital, so they don't
>> need the converter box, you simply plug your digital antenna lead into
>> the back. All TV sets don't have a tuner though, and these would not have
>> a coax connector because they can't do anything with the information
>> that's delivered in that format.
>
> That's what I found on some of them - after getting there to look at them.
> That how my confusion started. I would say that a " TV" without a tuner
> is NOT a TV - it's a monitor.But they advertise them as HDTV's (since most
> people have cable boxes with HDMI ?? ). Semantics I know but for someone
> that just wants a TV it's been aggravating

You're right, technically, a TV without a tuner should be sold as a monitor.
The problem with that is that a television monitor and a computer monitor
are not the same thing, so the term "monitor," becomes a source of
confusion.

But any TV set with a tuner will have a coax connector because that's the
primary way of getting a TV signal to the set. If the TV signal comes into
an intermediate box -- set top box for cable, satellite, fios, whatever --
then that box will interface with the TV via a coax, RCA, or HDMI. There are
a few other schemes for making high def connections, and some boxes support
them and some do not. But any television set with a tuner will have at a
minimum a coax connector on the back.

From: Colin Trunt on

> I've been waiting to be able to hook up a PC / disk drive with
> pictures/video on it to watch on TV.
> It seems that that day it just about here, and getting fine tuned, but I'm
> now overwhelmed with ... where is it heading and what is a
> passing/already outdated "fad" and could use some help.
>
> First let me say, I'm NOT your 'typical guy' who wants a 72" TV in the
> living room hooked up to a $3000 audio system. Not at all. I'm looking for
> merely what I NEED to be able to view PC stuff ( jpeg's mpeg ,
> QuickTime,Windows media formats) on a TV / maybe record a program on a new
> DVR/VHS combo ( so I can copy old tapes to DVD).
> As it is I have a ~3 yr old 27" full screen TV in a bookcase and works
> great, BUT it has only coax and RGB RCA jacks and no connections for newer
> devices ( HDMI etc)
> If I were to go with another TV that 'fits in the space', and has the
> newer jacks since now they are all widescreen, I'm obviously gonna end up
> with a smaller visible screen than I have now ( same width but less
> height). That's why I haven't gotten a new one. But with digital
> broadcasting I'm now not getting all of the cable channels since some only
> broadcast in digital. So , what of these connections is a MUST have ?
> (from a flexibility standpoint - able to hook up different devices) and
> which are a waste ? ( HDMI, VGA, USB, SD memory, S-video,etc)
>
> I looked at a few today and it seems all have HDMI but only some others
> have other connections. None of my current stuff ( receiver, DVD, etc has
> HDMI so a new TV with ONLY HDMI is useless to me. The way the TV's are
> packaged, , might I have to get the bigger screen TV to get connectors
> other than HDMI. in which case then I'd have to rearrange the living room
> get new furniture, toss the old stuff etc and I REALLY don't want to do
> that.
>
> What to get, what to ignore etc and could use some pointers ... places
> online to get educated . Any opinions, ideas ? Thanks

Hi, I'm in the UK so things are a bit different over here.
I got a new TV recently, it has 3 or 4 hdmi, a scart socker,
a 9 pin monitor socket and a few otheres (RCA), USB.

That's a fairly standard set-up, you really should have all of those,
most TV's will have all so check, there are loads of models available.

My parents had the same problem, they had a TV cabinet already so they could
only get a 28" widescreen in it, (32" was too wide). It's looks OK though,
it's personal preference really.
You can see some huge TV's in the showrooms, I settled for a 32" one, it
looked small compared to the others in the showroom but pretty big when I
got it
back home (especialy as I had been watching on a 14" portable for a while
as my main TV had broken and I too had to work out what to buy).

That acually was the second one I bought because the first one broke, after
a while
using a HDMI socket it developed noise on the screen so I switched to
another socket
(HDMI) but that too developed the same problem, I was on the third of four
sockets
when when I was pluging the hdmi in with my hand on the screen the screen
went!!
So I am not sure if the TV had a fault or if HDMI sockets are rather
delicate.

I don't use the hdmi on the new TV just the coax, it has a built in digital
receiver so
no problems there so I guess you will be able to do the same?

Anyway I guuuueess you have bough by now so a bit of a waste me posting -
lol