From: jacko on
On 2 Mar, 11:22, Symon <symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> This lot seems to be revealing a bit more about their stuff.
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14493616
>
> http://www.tabula.com

Looks interesting. Increasing transistor speed with lower power is
advancing, but reducing interconnect R and C seems to be at a limit of
copper thickness. The copper can be thickened up to limits.

The flop 4LUT mux thing with is a 7LUT * 8 with simple time rotary mux
may be. Then it's just lower interconnect density and length. Umm have
to wait and see.

cheers Jacko

http://forum.nibzx.co.uk - general technical forum
From: -jg on
On Mar 3, 12:22 am, Symon <symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> This lot seems to be revealing a bit more about their stuff.
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14493616
>
> http://www.tabula.com

Time will tell....

meanwhile, over in the other corners, anyone remember Triscend ?

Well, others are having a crack at the same market, but
slightly updated, for 2010.

See Cypress PSoC5 (Data, no open samples yet) and the just unveiled
Actel A2F200 (supposedly real silicon & Eval)

These both bundle a FLASH Cortex uC with Analog and FPGA fabric.

Sounds great on a marketing-lunch-napkin, but the fish-hook in this
has always been price, and the conflict of constrain of
Flash.Ram.cells.

The sampling smaller sibling, the PSoC3 has moved to ~$20 in price
indicators, and the A2F200 is showing ~$40 (no indications yet of the
A2F060)

You can get a choice of ARM core, for $1-$3, and a choice of CPLD-
FPGA for $3-$6, so that single-package-premium really narrows down the
customers.

-jg
From: -jg on
On Mar 3, 12:22 am, Symon <symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> This lot seems to be revealing a bit more about their stuff.
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14493616

A better overview is here
http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800599499_499495_NT_b33fb563_2.HTM

Some of what Tabula say, reads more like a patent dance, than any
technical explanation.

So, it is locally 1.6GHz, with time-sliced threads.
It might save Logic and routing, but it will have no config-memory
saving, and it ADDS the complexity of
rapid config multiplex. (not to mention power impacts)

We already have Achronix climing 1.5GHz PLDs since 2008, and XMOS
have 400-500Mhz hard-time-sliced cores shipping also.

Tabula have some rather quaint terminology, as they try to spin what
they do, but designers have always tried to do more serially &
pipeline, to save resource, if they can.

It seems their SW will do the 'thread slice & dice' for you, and that
may be the critical point.

If that works, and you can debug it, it could be useful. If it fails,
it will fail in a tangle.

-jg

From: Eric Smith on
On Mar 2, 12:15 pm, Jonathan Bromley <jonathan.brom...(a)MYCOMPANY.com>
wrote:
> Nicely put, but that way lies stagnation and the
> ultimate death of our industry.

I wasn't suggesting that it is completely impossible to outrun the
steamroller, but if you want a much better chance of doing it, you
should try running in a different direction than the steamroller is
going. If you are only slightly off the path of the steamroller,
maybe it will shift its path a bit to follow you, and maybe not. If
your path is significantly different from that of the steamroller,
there's a better chance that it will ignore you.

Other than AMD, the companies that have any success selling x86
processors are targeting niches that Intel didn't focus much effort
on, rather than trying to compete with Intel's mainstream parts. Most
of them are targetting embedded and low power designs, where Intel's
offerings were traditionally weak, though Intel seems to have become
much more interested in those in the last few years. Many of those
companies, including the one my friend worked at, started their x86
designs with the intent of competing at the high end, and ultimately
realized that they couldn't.

If you're going to compete with big FPGA vendors, there had better be
something that your FPGA is *significantly* (not just slightly) better
at than their parts. Whether Tabula's stuff is sufficiently better
remains to be seen.

> there's no point in creating something that's 10 times as good as
> the competition, when something 1.5 times as good
> will make you rich.

If you're one of the big players, 1.5 times better might be good
enough to gain you a bit of market share, but it rarely is sufficient
for a startup to gain traction against the big guys. And startups
that plan on being 10x better are often not even 1.5x better by the
time they ship product. Successful startups usually have something
that is *many* times better than the existing products, on some axis
almost entirely orthogonal to the prior metrics.

Eric
From: rickman on
On Mar 2, 2:28 pm, Eric Smith <space...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Reminds me of some of the players that tried to compete with Intel on
> high-end x86 processors.  Only AMD has been successful at that.

You call that success??? AMD is losing money hand over fist and there
is no relief in sight! At one time they played leap frog with Intel
in terms of who had the fastest parts, bragging rights and therefore
higher average selling prices. But AMD has been sucking wind for more
years than the cycles used to take. They are a full generation of
process technology behind. They had to sell off their fabs to raise
cash to stay afloat. Unless AMD has some really big trick up their
sleeve (something better than a one time payment from Intel which
makes up for maybe one year's losses) they are going to go the way of
Zilog. Personally, I don't see them surviving, at least well enough
to actually make an impact in the market. Intel may keep them around
just to keep the FTC off their aggressive and illegal pricing backs.

Rick