From: rickman on
On Mar 2, 4:28 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 12:22 am, Symon <symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This lot seems to be revealing a bit more about their stuff.
>
> >http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14493616
>
> >http://www.tabula.com
>
> Time will tell....
>
> meanwhile, over in the other corners, anyone remember Triscend ?
>
> Well, others are having a crack at the same market, but
> slightly updated, for 2010.
>
>  See Cypress PSoC5 (Data, no open samples yet) and the just unveiled
> Actel A2F200 (supposedly real silicon & Eval)
>
>  These both bundle a FLASH Cortex uC with Analog and FPGA fabric.
>
>  Sounds great on a marketing-lunch-napkin, but the fish-hook in this
> has always been price, and the conflict of constrain of
> Flash.Ram.cells.
>
>  The sampling smaller sibling, the PSoC3 has moved to ~$20 in price
> indicators, and the A2F200 is showing ~$40  (no indications yet of the
> A2F060)
>
>  You can get a choice of ARM core, for $1-$3, and a choice of CPLD-
> FPGA for $3-$6, so that single-package-premium really narrows down the
> customers.
>
> -jg

Yeah, I have been watching the Cypress stuff and I am not overly
impressed. I guess the new stuff far outdoes the PSOC1, but at those
prices they are addressing a totally different market and likely will
only find a home in very space constrained designs.

I just heard about the Actel parts and they seem interesting. But I
bet they bring a seriously painful price. That will be the
determiner. The PSOC3/5 and Actel SmartFusion parts are also very
different in size with Actel SmartFusion coming in a 256 BGA at the
smallest and the PSOC3/5 a 100 pin package at the largest IIRC.

Other FPGAs don't do analog so well, but they can be used with a soft
processor to compete with the low end of these parts.

Rick

Rick
From: rickman on
On Mar 2, 8:03 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 3, 12:22 am, Symon <symon_bre...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This lot seems to be revealing a bit more about their stuff.
>
> >http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14493616
>
> A better overview is herehttp://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800599499_499495_NT_b33fb563_2.HTM
>
>  Some of what Tabula say, reads more like a patent dance, than any
> technical explanation.
>
>  So, it is locally 1.6GHz, with time-sliced threads.
> It might save Logic and routing, but it will have no config-memory
> saving, and it ADDS the complexity of
> rapid config multiplex. (not to mention power impacts)
>
>  We already have Achronix climing 1.5GHz PLDs since 2008, and XMOS
> have 400-500Mhz hard-time-sliced cores shipping also.
>
>  Tabula have some rather quaint terminology, as they try to spin what
> they do, but designers have always tried to do more serially &
> pipeline, to save resource, if they can.
>
>  It seems their SW will do the 'thread slice & dice' for you, and that
> may be the critical point.
>
>  If that works, and you can debug it, it could be useful. If it fails,
> it will fail in a tangle.
>
> -jg

Yeah, a lot of their success will depend on the tools. Not only do
they need to work, they need to be usable. I am trying to think how
to write VHDL for hardware that really is sequential as well as
concurrent.

Rick
From: -jg on
On Mar 5, 12:43 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 8:03 pm, -jg <jim.granvi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  It seems their SW will do the 'thread slice & dice' for you, and that
> > may be the critical point.
>
> >  If that works, and you can debug it, it could be useful. If it fails,
> > it will fail in a tangle.
>
> > -jg
>
> Yeah, a lot of their success will depend on the tools.  Not only do they need to work, they need to be usable.  I am trying to think how to write VHDL for hardware that really is sequential as well as concurrent.
>
> Rick

I'm exercising the XMOS devices currently, and they are certainly
interesting devices.
They have a truly hard/deterministic threaded core
and some quite good tools.
Sadly, the Docs are scattered and read like an in-joke.
(and on a device as left-field as XMOS, knowing what
it can & can't do, is important)

I am currently seeing if a design that is CPLD+RAM, can work on XMOS.
RAM in there is easy, (way more than any similar priced CPLD/FPGA) but
hitting the speed targets in SW, is 'interesting', but by careful
slice into threads, it might just make it. 4 threads come at zero
speed cost, as do 32 bit datapaths.

Tabula's approach seems a morph of this. It should work well on code
that needs to be hard-deterministic, and that can serialize nicely to
shrink logic.

Something like Base-station math-ops would be a good market
footprint, and it is unlikely to be low power.
Memory&bandwidths will be the other key factors.

-jg

From: Symon on
On 3/4/2010 12:46 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> time they ship product. Successful startups usually have something
> that is *many* times better than the existing products, on some axis
> almost entirely orthogonal to the prior metrics.
>
> Eric

Mate,
Ever wonder if you've been doing this too long? Did you write that last
phrase with a straight face?
Cheers, Syms.

From: Symon on
On 3/4/2010 11:06 PM, rickman wrote:

> to actually make an impact in the market. Intel may keep them around
> just to keep the FTC off their aggressive and illegal pricing backs.
>
> Rick

Yep.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/18/amd_to_pay_down_debt/