From: Barry Gregory Barry on
What would cause a task to delay its start from its predecessor if there is
no lag and no resource contention. I have 2, 3day tasks for a resource that
are not lined up back to back. The second is waiting three days to start.

And yes, I have a new version of project that is not completely set up to my
liking.
From: John on
In article <6587DA82-E174-4F1E-847D-72FFD508658D(a)microsoft.com>,
Barry Gregory <Barry Gregory(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> What would cause a task to delay its start from its predecessor if there is
> no lag and no resource contention. I have 2, 3day tasks for a resource that
> are not lined up back to back. The second is waiting three days to start.
>
> And yes, I have a new version of project that is not completely set up to my
> liking.

Barry,
My first guess is that the task is constrained with a
"start-no-earlier-than". This happens if the person who entered the task
manually entered a start date.

You should also check the working time calendar to make sure the 3 day
delay are really working days (e.g. a weekend and a Friday or Monday
holiday).

By the way, which version of Project are you using and which updates are
installed?

John
Project MVP
From: Jack Dahlgren MVP on
If you have a link to the summary task it can cause this.
Leveling may be another cause.

-Jack Dahlgren

From: Barry Gregory on
Your thoughts are right on but I refrain from constraints so there are none
and the the calendar is wide open with a normal work week. I am using
Project 2007. What makes me curious is I imported this project from a book
on gaming. All the resources were Material at first. Hopefully that
information might help.

From: John on
In article <3660CCFD-8338-4A83-AFF2-9AB0CB4E5B5F(a)microsoft.com>,
Barry Gregory <BarryGregory(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Your thoughts are right on but I refrain from constraints so there are none
> and the the calendar is wide open with a normal work week. I am using
> Project 2007. What makes me curious is I imported this project from a book
> on gaming. All the resources were Material at first. Hopefully that
> information might help.
Barry,
Jack offered a couple other suggestions. Have you checked those out? If
neither of those items apply it might be easier to e-mail me the file
and I'll take a look. If you decide to do that, zip the file and send it
to me at the address below. I will ask a few questions.

John
Project MVP
jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm
(remove obvious redundancies)