From: Steve Urbach on
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 01:56:52 -0500, "John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:09:15 -0500:
>
>> While I was away, I called COX and asked if I could do the same
>> with the news server - but they said no.
>
>Does "do the same" mean to use Cox' news server while traveling?
>
>If they use no login, but instead rely for "authentication"
>on detecting that your connection comes from their own network,
>then I guess you can't bring their network along with you,
>despite those TV ads from an unrelated cell phone network
>which shows a huge crowd of their people
>following you everywhere :)
>
>> So, while I'm in a remote place, is there a way I can access other
>> servers so I can stay in touch with the newsgroups?
>
>The simplest of all is access
>via "Google Groups" web site (beware of prejudices :)
>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
You mean us folk that use "Forte` Agent" because they dislike Web Based news
:)
Google seems to have done a really bad job with theirs :(
My Home-owners/neighborhood group uses GG. I still have not figured out why
it can't get "Unread message" counts right.

From: rmo555 on
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 01:56:52 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:09:15 -0500:
>
>> While I was away, I called COX and asked if I could do the same
>> with the news server - but they said no.
>
>Does "do the same" mean to use Cox' news server while traveling?
>
>If they use no login, but instead rely for "authentication"
>on detecting that your connection comes from their own network,
>then I guess you can't bring their network along with you,
>despite those TV ads from an unrelated cell phone network
>which shows a huge crowd of their people
>following you everywhere :)
>
>> So, while I'm in a remote place, is there a way I can access other
>> servers so I can stay in touch with the newsgroups?
>
>The simplest of all is access
>via "Google Groups" web site (beware of prejudices :)
>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
>
>You could also subscribe to a paid or free "login" news server,
>to use with your "Forte Agent" program,
>and accessible from anywhere, e.g.
>
>http://news.individual.net/ (from where I am posting)
>
>http://www.eternal-september.org/ (formerly "motzarella.org")

Going to the hospital tomorrow - will try these suggestions when I
return - thanks.